The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Forum news feed

Bikerdude

The biggest one ATM is art.

• We need a bunch of full-screen images for our briefings. Our briefings will use Thief's sepia style, with a mixture of screenshots, drawn images and mixtures of the two. We are aiming to cut down the workload by doing as much as possible with screenshots. We have reference images to work from, so the task would not be too hard for an experienced artist, but would prefer if a single person was doing the work for consistency.
  • We need a smaller number of colour images for cutscenes. Again, there are references.
  • Someone experienced enough in TDM briefing editing to assemble the package of images, spoken lines (already recorded) and soundtrack into a cohesive whole. The same goes for the cutscenes.
  • Someone who can whip up a few alt. skins (there is a very limited need for this).

Music is also welcome (we have some people on this front, but if you think you can do some looped tracks like we had in Thief... you can probably help us!).

Grayman is our project coordinator. I am absolutely too disorganised to handle task assignments and that kind of thing. Maybe he can tell more.

• I allready have stated my willingness to help with the briefings. If you could pm me a link to a zip containing the files for one briefing (vocals, screenies etc...), I could setup a intro and pm it back to you, so you could discuss the quality. I have no problem doing this for all missions, as there does not seem to be a deadline (not sure which smiley to use here :mellow: )
  • What do you mean with "colour images for cutscenes"? Simple screenies or drawn images? Or something in between?
  • I'm not experienced with briefings, but I guess I could do that :)
  • Skins are not a big deal. I could at least write a tutorial about that if there isn't one already, so other people can give it a try, too.

In addition, as you may noticed I've easened the automap script a lot. If you have completely drawn maps for the missions, and make use of the location system, I could setup this for you. A mission of the size of In the North, where every room and hallway would get seperated, would take me two to three hours to setup, maybe even less (most of the time would be needed to cut the map picture into pieces, I'm not very fast at picture editing).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hi!

New to the forum, but been in the shadows and secretly playing TDM for years now.

I'd be happy to help with something! I have some programming experience (though mostly limited to signal analyses with Matlab and alike). But I'm quite fast in picking up these things ;) With a tutorial for skins, as Obstorte suggested, I'd be down to help.

Also with anything that does not involve me drawing something (cause I suck at it) or years of experience to learn it, would be fine! I can also offer german-accented voice work :P

Just let me know!

Mein Akzent ist Sächsisch, also wahrscheinlich besser als deiner :P

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Obsttorte: mail sent!

zenid: Hm, this is not easy; if you are a programmer, you might be able to help more with the core mod. :) But maybe Bikerdude can suggest something?

For the cutscenes, drawn images will be intermixed with screenshots, and the former will be in majority. Again, there are references to work from (and partially to trace).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

IMO you guys are shooting yourself's in the foot with that small team if you try to make the cutscenes in the thief original style, they are easier than live animated cutscenes that's true but they are still a laborious task and without a developer that can draw fast and with quality you guys will spend ages making all the necessary cutscenes images, imo you guys should use the screenshot functionality exclusively, and if possible on the id tech 4 engine, pose ragdolls, freeze them, than take a shoot, after that just apply a filter to the the image to give it a hand draw look, if necessary, yes it will look amateurish but is better than never finishing the campaign or ditch cutscenes because of lack of time and manpower.

Melan - If its artwork you need, maybe I can help you guys with that. My time for gaming related activities is pretty much non-existant nowadays (who has time, right?), so cant make any promises, but drawing is a pleasure and it would be good to contribute, if I can. I did my own briefing drawings for "In Remembrance of Him", so if that style is ok...

HMart: Most of our images are screenshots with filters and stuff. But we still need some which aren't (though even most of these are based on reference images, so the work mainly involves tracing), or which have small additions and changes.

RPGista: If you can dedicate time and effort, we could use your help, but I don't want to push you. So, volunteer if you can make promises. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 3 months later...

Thx for the link to this thread.

Inspired by the great looking shots of "crucible....." I decided to

make a possible little ambience sound -loop for sneaking through the streets

or climbing over the rooftops or what ever a thief does in a enviroment like this :laugh: .

If you like it, I can do more of this stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/mj-ilion/dark-ambience_1/s-fIo4K

The high frequencies has been cut, so the enviromental sounds can be heard better.

( lockpicking, footsteps, voices, dialogues, etc. )

I can do longer or shorter loops on demand.

At the moment I`m composing a peace of gothic rock

for an action or key-sequence and a spooky waltz for another wired moment or cutscene, if it occurs.

Large Industrial factories: Day and night, the foundries work, churning out gears and pieces of machinery. Yet there is a device they have never made...

OmensShot_9.jpg

Who's this NPC working the factory? Are we in store for new types of enemies / other NPC's / skins / textures that aren't available in the normal DR kit?

I don't know the DR kit too well, so if these guys are already in but I've missed them, just let me know. :-)

After having a little chat with BD, I made a new track. More suspense , less "in ur face" ;)

Hope you enjoy it:

edit:

( new versions [23.01.2014] )

with woodsticks

https://soundcloud.com/mj-ilion/ambience-3/s-4qAmN?in=mj-ilion/sets/dark-ambience/s-iNqHR

without woodsticks

[old link deleted]

Edited by vvGarrettvv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Kinda-sorta-maybe alive. Relentlessly undead, perhaps.

• 1 month later...