The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Forum news feed

Bikerdude

Crucible of Omens: Forum news feed

While the team are beavering away on the campaign we thought we would post a series of regular updates to show the community what we have been doing over the last

12 months, Enjoy!

Arches that show the age and grandeur of the city: What we have here is a melting pot of Hungarian heritage, Gothic & Romanesque styles that result in a cohesive and believable steam-punk universe that the player can immerse themselves in, like a warm blanket on a cold winter's night.

OmenShots3_1.jpg

Plenty of vantage points, exits and entries - multiple ways to plan your route through the byways of Bridgeport: In this shot we spent quite a bit of time getting the perf to acceptable levels with out sacrificing artistic vision and intent. Its a mixture of imposing framework of the city, and dark nooks and crannies.

OmenShots3_2.jpg

Imposing city streets that twist and turn, hiding dark secrets & resourceful opponents: The city looks alive and believably organic in a pre-contemporary vision. This is tempered by the need for consistent performance so that even players with low end hardware will have a rewarding experience.

OmenShots3_3.jpg

Looking good I guess, but this is a bit stale for a news posts. Perhaps adding more varied screenshots would be better? Perhaps giving a few more details on the plot? Perhaps telling us is Dram's Blackheart Mannor will be included in the campaign?

Perhaps...

Stale? No.

Just don't flood the thread with screenies that -in great numbers- start to act as spoilers. And do not spoil the plot either.

Just tease the audience with a single monthly screenshot or something. You might occasionally want to give news how the progress goes.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I do not know where the Hungarian heritage is represented in the shots above, but maybe someone with an outsider's perspective will tell me. ;)

BTW, there will be further updates down the line, each showcasing a different part of the campaign, so stay tuned for more. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

There will be at least one Hungarian participant in the dev team. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 11 months later...

News Update: 06/04/2013

While the team continues to beaver away on the campaign here are some more images to show the community what we have been building, Enjoy!

Old, organic streets: We can see signs of life all around, from the stones worn clean by countless footsteps to the beer barrels ready for transport.

OmensShot_4.jpg

Multiple paths and choices: Check if the coast is clear before proceeding; there are usually multiple ways in out of a location to enable the player to complete their objectives.

OmensShot_5.jpg

Imposing cliffs and hidden waterways: Where nature clashes with man made and parts of the town are built in.

OmensShot_6.jpg

Looking back at the previous update, you guys seem to have done wonderful progress! I love how the lighting and textures make everything feel so dirty yet natural. Reminds of the beginning of Tears of St. Lucia with its littered streets and smelly corners. Keep up the good work.