Photo

Fan Mission: In remembrance of him (by RPGista)

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#51 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

Spoiler

• SiyahParsomen likes this

#52 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

I think I found some serious bug.
Spoiler

#53 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4446 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

I wish more people would be sharing their concept sketches (if any). Thanks!
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#54 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

I think I found some serious bug.

Spoiler

The only time I tried to interact with the barn people,
Spoiler
The peasants only attacked me when
Spoiler

Like BSB, I really liked the fact that there was no loot objective, and I could exercise some 'morality' in my larcenous activities (heh)(but I'm still happy to be a loot-hoover when occasion demands). And yes - if there is a v1.1, do provide a spyglass.

@ungoliant - yup, me too
Spoiler

This mission reminded me a lot of 'Heart of Lone Salvation':
1. Great atmosphere, especially out-of-doors;
2. The horror aspect being closely tied to pathos/tragedy;
3. Spells of mind-bendingly incandescent frustration, followed by warm glow of satisfaction when I (eventually) found the way through :smile:. Which is high praise in my book, but can understand it's not to everyone's taste. (If someone produced a map that depended on swordplay skills, I'd give up pretty quickly.)

#55 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Just a quick lunch break reply: you do have a spyglass on easy difficulty; the only difference between the difficulties being more or less equipment (and the innocent kill restriction on expert). ;)

#56 Briareos H

Briareos H

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

What do you mean with too many minute details, too many ellipses? It'll really help me understand your worst vote on this.

[...]to receive the lowest rating possible in a category that includes graphic storytelling seems a bit excessive... Lets not forget these are our first mapping works, with a limited time slot no less, so perhaps a little tolerance margin should be allowed.

It was a bit excessive and I apologise. I've asked Springheel to alter my note slightly.
Unlike some, I completely adhere to the kind of gameplay your mission offers. I still think it's a fantastic mission.
However, and it's completely personal, my negativity towards the whole mission originates from the first 6 or 7 screens of the briefing, and it is difficult for me to ignore them afterwards while playing. At some point I was swearing that if I were to see "..." (that's what I meant by ellipses, Siyah) once again I'd stop playing altogether. It probably sounds ridiculous and I'm sorry. There's not really much I can say for my pitiful defence. I am as displeased as you are that it affected my perception of the whole mission.

#57 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Trying a new route and am I wasting my time
Spoiler
Is this a route or is it not possible

#58 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Trying a new route and am I wasting my time

Spoiler
Is this a route or is it not possible

wasting time, but you'll find climbable one later :)

#59 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

It was a bit excessive and I apologise. I've asked Springheel to alter my note slightly.
Unlike some, I completely adhere to the kind of gameplay your mission offers. I still think it's a fantastic mission.
However, and it's completely personal, my negativity towards the whole mission originates from the first 6 or 7 screens of the briefing, and it is difficult for me to ignore them afterwards while playing. At some point I was swearing that if I were to see "..." (that's what I meant by ellipses, Siyah) once again I'd stop playing altogether. It probably sounds ridiculous and I'm sorry. There's not really much I can say for my pitiful defence. I am as displeased as you are that it affected my perception of the whole mission.

thanks for your explanation.

#60 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5640 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Completed.. Just briefly:
Spoiler

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#61 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Oldjim - Nice one, but I wonder if you were able to (in the expert difficulty):

Spoiler

I haven't found an alternative route to the church although
Spoiler
Regarding the last alley apartment - i hadn't bothered trying but since it was apparently difficult I tried and it was easy
Spoiler

#62 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

BlueSky -

Spoiler

#63 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6205 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I had to vote 2 stars for gameplay, the endless reloads and unclear path was just too much for me. I completed it without knowing I had completed it the mission just finished all of a sudden.
One thing I wanted to ask, the chasm between buildings that you have to jump across, why does the window on the ledge open outwards and not inwards? when it started opening outwards I wanted to punch you in the face. I mean it makes sense I guess from the point of view of the gravedigger, but gameplay wise it was a bad choice.

Oh forgot to mention this is easily one of the most beautiful maps, the colored lighting and placement of light sources was incredible!

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#64 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12676 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I tried again, but was soon faced with more mantling I was unable to do.

So I noclipped around the mission just to see the architecture. Very very well done.

Spoiler

#65 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6205 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Oh yeah how in the hell do you get back out of the courtyard at the beginning? There's one statue of gold down there and a candle and no way back out. I mantled on top of the tree then jumped to the window ledge, but that's it, any more jumping and I was hitting an invisible ceiling.

#66 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4446 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hm, I never saw all that difficulty, or I am too jaded.

Aluminumhaste:
Spoiler

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#67 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6205 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Melan I was considering that except for the fact that the door was locked and both lockpicks didn't work, so what was there left to make me think that I would be able to get through that door?

#68 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Ungoliant, Diego, Sotha: Nice to know all you guys had the desired reaction to that part of the mission! Did my best to make it effective. ;)

Briareos - No problem man, you probably got me in a bad mood too. Theres no need to change the vote, it is after all a matter of taste; only suggested that, as I do everytime when I vote, its kind of a gentlemen agreement not to give the lowest rating for someone who was trying. Only when someone doesnt even try. But a lot of people dont take this rating thing seriously anyway, and neither should we! :) Glad you were able to enjoy the rest of the work regardless.

Simplenoob was also an awesome tester, so thanks again, your help was really appreciated.

Sotha, thanks very much for the review (and for helping me get the briefing to work). In fact, he went through the trouble of expanding it for me (up to 10 pages, though I only used 9), and offered all the information I needed. :) That derelict building really is sucking a lot people in! Theres a way out of the pit though, the big wood beam, its climbable. But yeah, now that I think of it, should have made that kitchen access easier. Its not that it is glitchy or anything, it just asks for some good precision, and I should probably be glad not many tried to go that way then. Awesome that you liked the map. Like I said elsewhere, I think details are what really help you sink in and forget wehre you are. Took a lot of work though, DR is veeeery slow for small scales...

Oldjin - The alternative route is accessible from the same place as the other one (hint: the fireplace square with the archer). It is quite hard to get there, but once inside, should be much easier than the derelict building. Take a look at the walkthrough section in the first post, for more details and possibly other unknown areas.

#69 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Aluminium - What do you mean, "finished all of a sudden"? There might be some kind of error if it did... You should need to clearly reach an exit to finish the mission.

The chasm is not the only route, though you probaly wouldnt like the other one either. ;) The window opening outwards is irrelevant and doesnt hinder you in any way, considering you are jumping to it from the drain pipe, to which you should be holding to in order to open it. Its a simple half a meter jump that the TDM character can handle very well (he's pretty good at holding on to things). The hard jump is to reach the drain pipe.

Grayman - Thats a bummer... Sorry about that, but Im afraid you didnt get to see the conversation because you need to go through a trigger at the botton of the stairs (without noclipping). If you DID, then we might have had an error... I would suggest you to fly to the cemetery area, and land right next to the Aphrodite statue, and play normally from there (dont noclip towards the church!). The first chunk is basicly introduction, this is the final part and you would still get to see the climax (which also doesnt need any mantling!).

Argh, too much writing...

Edited by RPGista, 24 April 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#70 caedes

caedes

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

very nice atmosphere, lighting, graphics...
but you should have listened to the beta testers and gave the player more hints on where to go.
but still a great mission.

Spoiler

#71 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Where a church entrance usually is -
Spoiler

#72 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6205 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Aluminium - What do you mean, "finished all of a sudden"? There might be some kind of error if it did... You should need to clearly reach an exit to finish the mission.

To clarify I got ring in pitch blackness, I had to use r_showtris 1 just to see where I was going. I went into the room and was just frobbing randomly and got the objective complete message and saw that I had the ring. So I walked back upstairs and must have walked close enough to the church entrance because the mission completed.

There's a drain pipe? Huh. Didn't see one. I went through the destroyed building, hopped over to the doorway and on the other side was a gaping chasm, an endless black pit. The only way across was to jump to the window ledge and open the window, which I thought was the correct way to go, until I tried opening the window and realized I was in the way. Thank god I was able to mantle on top of the window then open it all the way then drop down into the window.

#73 jay pettitt

jay pettitt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Coo, that was loud. The graphic novel intro was ace, and the journey there was stunning to look at - amazing lighting and architecture. Though the actual Church was maybe a bit mediocre in comparison. If that same visual quality had carried through the entire mission - that would have been really something.

A few clues to reassure me that I was jumping and dying in roughly the right direction as I made it through the abandoned buildings would have been nice. I think perhaps...
Spoiler

...it took a good while before I discovered that getting to the window wasn't nearly as hard as I was making it.

#74 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12676 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Grayman - Thats a bummer... Sorry about that, but Im afraid you didnt get to see the conversation because you need to go through a trigger at the botton of the stairs (without noclipping). If you DID, then we might have had an error...

Spoiler

#75 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Where a church entrance usually is -

Spoiler

Ummm...(**thinks back to all the village churches I've ever visited**)...may be wrong, but from memory most of them have a side entry door, similar to where the main door entry to the church in the map is - certainly the two Church of England churches near me do. Maybe it's a CofE thing... :P

There were quite a few key elements in this map that I lucked/blundered into without any help from RPG while I was beta-testing - the big wooden beam in the derelict building, the drainpipe (I did comment to RPG that I hadn't found climbable drainpipes in any of the FMs I've played so far; big ventilation/distribution pipes, yes, but drainpipes were new to me), the route through the kitchen, finding the main church entrance to end the mission, and for some reason I clocked really quickly on how to get through that nailed-up basement door (bit of a nod to T2 gameplay, I thought :)) - however, the one thing that totally defeated me (that no-one else seems to have struggled with) was fulfilling the main objective. I needed a nudge from RPG as, despite having been into Kevin's cell, I was fixated on finding
Spoiler
Which wasn't right. No no no no no... :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users