The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Phrase Book by Sotha (2012/05/12)

Sotha

The Phrase Book  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Downloading! New masterpiece incoming? :D

EDIT: Amazing! It's why i *love* TDM!

shot00004m.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

This calls for an :excl:

Downloading with FURY!!!

Dropbox Mirror:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/phrase_book.pk4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/phrase_book.pk4

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I gotta say, this FM has converted my briefing preference to your hybrid model. Only way this could have been improved would be with a voiceover that could play, skip, and replay based on which arrows you press. Even without vocal narrative, that briefing was impressive as hell.

Awesome! I had a lot of fun with this one. I only played on medium since I love to KO. I missed a bit of loot, so I'll have to go back in and find more :)

Did I mention that I love to KO?

post-3285-0-36414500-1336799705_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I gotta say, this FM has converted my briefing preference to your hybrid model. Only way this could have been improved would be with a voiceover that could play, skip, and replay based on which arrows you press. Even without vocal narrative, that briefing was impressive as hell.

Thanks! I am really pleased with how the briefing turned out. I think the briefing could easily be edited to play a sound when a certain page is visible. This means that voiceover would certainly be possible.

On the downside, the briefing still has the huge limitation that the page flow is difficult to bend to work with campaigns. If you plan to do a campaign, this briefing may not be the one for you. It is very good for single missions, though.

Unfortunately (for the community) / fortunately (for me), I've promised myself that I don't need to do any more advanced briefing gui work. So if campaign support or voiceovers would be made, it should be someone else to do the work. I promise to help and guide if need be.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Only been able to play it for about ten minutes so far, but it's already hitting my sweet spots -

love starting high above the streets, love the gas flares (or whatever they are) on the pipes (well, I'll love 'em until I have to try and get past one anyway), and done a little bit of fab mantling already.

It's a small point, but I really appreciated being able to climb at least onto the edge of the roof where I took this screenshot (roof can just be seen in bottom LH corner). I guess it's an fps issue, but a lot of FMs seem to make most rooftops completely unattainable even if they're within reach, so it was great to be allowed to jump onto this one (and not fall to a horrible death).

post-9265-0-03259700-1336827618_thumb.jpg

It's a busy weekend, but I hope I'll be able to give it some more time tomorrow

Only been able to play it for about ten minutes so far, but it's already hitting my sweet spots -

love starting high above the streets, love the gas flares (or whatever they are) on the pipes (well, I'll love 'em until I have to try and get past one anyway), and done a little bit of fab mantling already.

It's a small point, but I really appreciated being able to climb at least onto the edge of the roof where I took this screenshot (roof can just be seen in bottom LH corner). I guess it's an fps issue, but a lot of FMs seem to make most rooftops completely unattainable even if they're within reach, so it was great to be allowed to jump onto this one (and not fall to a horrible death).

post-9265-0-03259700-1336827618_thumb.jpg

It's a busy weekend, but I hope I'll be able to give it some more time tomorrow

I didn't read your spoiler but image made me think about you climbed to a spot where you should't be. Is this really possible? Because Sotha is extra careful on this. If you really managed, I will respect your skills :)

I assumed it was deliberate design, but if I've managed to find somewhere I shouldn't have gone in one of Sotha's maps, my levels of self-congratulatory smugness will reach new heights :P.

Route was

exit through east(?)-facing window of door-banging thugs area onto platform below; jump onto nearest wooden block sticking out of wall on the left; shuffle backwards till you can stand up; jump onto roof edge.

• Like 1

Great mission! :) A bit hard but, well, I did play on the hard difficulty so I can't complaint! :D

Minor bug:

Getting back to the clock tower didn't finish the mission.

Mission not finishing if objectives are completed is not a minor bug, it is a major one. Please give more details.

I tested hard difficulty and it worked for me. Did you go back to the starting room?

Clipper

Were there many changes since the beta test?

No, I fixed the most critical things like the carpets and the readables. Moved a few sleeping AI. That sort of thing. I left most of the visual improvement suggestions undone as I was pleased myself with the end results and did not want to make the mission more choppy for the low-enders. (Plus spending hours on visual tweaks is not my thing.)

Therefore this mission-not-ending issue reported by Diego freaks me out. Does the mission finish properly for people? If not, please, provide detailed description with spoiler tags.

Clipper

I believe I had to actually get back to the starting room for the mission to finish. Just getting back to the tower didn't work. I had to climb down the ladder and go stand on my bed then the mission ended.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.