The Dark Mod Forums

RPGista's mapping and modeling thread

RPGista

Collision detection works fine, and I can hear the metal sounds when you block the hammer, but no sound when it is dropped.

Odd. I'd have to take a look at it in-game to offer anything else.

the commoner character (Im assuming also the guards) have the wrahmmer placed automaticly on their hips, but draw them from their backs, which looks wrong.

These are the lines that cause the 'draw from back' animation to be used. If you remove them the characters will play the normal draw animations.

//use "draw from back animation" instead

"replace_anim_draw" "draw_hammer"

"replace_anim_sheath" "sheathe_hammer"

I can't remember where the attachment of the weapon is set off the top of my head. It must be set on the character entity. The default is probably to attach to the hip, and the builders override that to attach to the back.

If the drawing animation is defined by the weapon and the weapon position is defined by the AI then I think we have a problem, as they will conflict (commoner carries weapons on the hip but the warhammer is drawn from the back, which cant be changed because of the builders). Will try to put both draw animations in the def file and see what happens.

All characters with weapons attached have one of the two spawnargs:

"pos_attach1" "slung_across_back_rl"

"pos_attach1" "hip_sheath_l"

So you either have to change the pos_attach1 spawnarg on the AI in question to switch the weapon to the back, or make a different version of the entity that doesn't include the anim_replace lines, and will thus be drawn from the hip.

Yeah, bascially two entities atdm:war_hammer_hip and atdm:war_hammer (on back) would be the way to go.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Wait a minute. I haven't downloaded it yet, but it just occurred to me...you're using the 1.07 assets, right? Does "tdm_impact_hammer" exist in 1.07? Try switching the line

"snd_bounce" "tdm_impact_hammer"

to

"snd_bounce" "tdm_ai_builder4_warn_missing_item"

And see what happens when you drop it. You should hear a builder talk.

Yep, erasing that line entirely solved the issue, it now inherits the generic metal sound normally. ;)

The warhammer is ready then, I will pack it up and release it soon.

A question: how does AI fighting work regarding armor? Will attacks between AI also be deflected by armor plates and helmets, or just the players'? Because if so, wouldnt it be useful to add to the hammers, mace and heavy axes a property that allows them to damage even fully armored body parts (that's basicly why they were used, to go through armor plates, while blades couldnt)?

Yep, erasing that line entirely solved the issue, it now inherits the generic metal sound normally

The hammer sound in 1.08 may or may not work for these hammers. Might sound a bit too heavy. I can select something appropriate if you like.

Will attacks between AI also be deflected by armor plates and helmets,

Yes, although there is a bug that occasionally causes this not to work.

wouldnt it be useful to add to the hammers, mace and heavy axes a property that allows them to damage even fully armored body parts

IIRC there's no way to do this right now. The armour materials affect all damage the same way.

The hammer sound in 1.08 may or may not work for these hammers. Might sound a bit too heavy. I can select something appropriate if you like.

That would be great, thank you.

Warhammer

Here are the models with the updated def files:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/owatx8

http://rpgista.minus.com/lDWxQp2TQxCtN

They are fully working as far as I can see and ready to be included in missions. I should probably post this on the contributions thread later.

EDIT: Actually, Im not sure thats the case, I havent really figured out how to set up the models in order to be placed in missions and right now the files have the same paths as in my system (the pk4 is supposed to be extracted inside the darkmod folder); I'm afraid people wanting to put these in their missions will have to update all the paths inside the ase files, the material shaders and def files).

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

I meant to say that the model files have the very same same folder structure as in my system (where they are located in the respective places inside the darkmod folder); if you want to use the model, you'll have to unpack, place the folders inside your mission's, and change the paths manually to reflect the changes. It is true that if the model is to be a part of the base mod, this is not going to be needed, but I dont know if that is going to be the case.

Just out of curiosity, is there any difference between models/darkmod/custom/warhammerA01.ase and models/darkmod/custom/warhammerB01.ase other than the texture?

Hmmm... Now that you mention it, they were textured separately from the same quad mesh, but it is quite likely the triangulated mesh is not identical as I did it once (automatically) for each, and also decided later to rotate them into different positions when making them wearable weapons.

Edited by RPGista

So would it be possible to make them use the same mehs, but just a different texture? Saves resources if that is possible. I guess the rotation can be fixed either with spawnargs or with a bit of code (if we don't have yet anything that rotates weapons at will).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Basically, you make one model with texture A, and then a skin which says "for model X, swap texture A with B".

So the mapper places the same model (and the engine only loads and caches it once), and then just a different teture is choosen during rendering.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Creating_Multiple_Skins_For_A_Model

It's best to just have one model, with a few different skins. Many of our weapons already do this:

For example:

skin tdm_holy_hammer <--- the name of the skin (can be anything)

{

model models/darkmod/weapons/hammer.lwo <-- the model(s) the skin can apply to

models/weapons/hammer tdm_holy_hammer <--- original material shader / replacement material shader

models/weapons/hammerhead tdm_holy_hammer <---- "

}

That way you don't need separate entitydefs either; you can use the same one but just add a "skin" spawnarg.

If you can address this within the next couple days there's a good chance I can get these into 1.08.

OK, here's the new file:

http://minus.com/l0EuVxSNW100W

It was quite confusing, but I was able to solve all the problems I got and now it's just one ase model and two skins - they all work normally; if you place the hammer as model you are able to select each skin on the list, as a moveable you can add the skin spawnarg, but I still kept 4 entities to choose from (noble on back, on hip, rusty on back, on hip) because I couldnt find another way of attaching a hammer with the secondary skin on a AI (just the default), if there is an easy way Im unaware of, please just delete the "rusty" def entries.

• Like 1

Started a Patch Constructions page on the Wiki where I (and anyone else) will be placing basic tutorials on building things (mainly spaces) with patches - there are a couple there with tunnels, next I'll be making one on creating corner stones and later a big one about using patches to make entire buildings and building facades.

http://wiki.thedarkm...h_constructions

PS: Let me know about any mistakes or if it's confusing.

Edited by RPGista

Started a Patch Constructions page on the Wiki where I (and anyone else) will be placing basic tutorials on building things (mainly spaces) with patches - there are a couple there with tunnels, next I'll be making one on creating corner stones and later a big one about using patches to make entire buildings and building facades.

Splendig! That will come in handy :)

PS: Let me know about any mistakes or if it's confusing.

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh

*hops up and down in excitement*

Looks like this could be a real help - I've been messing around with tunnels for weeks now, and still haven't worked out how to do branching off/intersections. (Mind you, haven't made things easy for myself. Nice wide-open regular tunnels? Nah. Tight, cramped, winding around like an umbilical cord on LSD? Yeah baby. 'Cept it's mind-blowingly hard keeping everything together. Ah well.)

Loads of RL stuff on at the mo so dunno when I'll get the chance to look at it, but I'll let you know when I do.

That's a wonderful skull - inasmuch as a skull can ever be called "wonderful". You got the look right - except better.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved