The Dark Mod Forums

New PC build - advice?

ungoliant

I remember why I don't care about SLI upgrades again. The UD5H mainboard will run 2 PCIe 3.0 8x lanes for SLI, which is perfect for running 2 PCIe 2.0 16x lane cards in tandem. however the GTX 670 is true PCIe 3.0, therefore rendering SLI useless with this mainboard (for my build). so the extra watts on the rosewill 800 are really wasted. At $170 for a mainboard as feature-packed as the ud5h, its still tough to argue against.

I'm about half-assembled right now, and holy shit I forgot how much FUN this is!!!! Building the system is waaayyy better than shopping for parts. So much new stuff to play with since my last build which was like 2006. I think I can draw an honest parallel to feeling like a little kid at christmas! I'm sure the black clouds will start to roll when I find out one of my components is DOA, but so far so good :D

Edited by ungoliant

Actually that's a popular misconception, you could run SLI on that system quite happily. But one of the reasons I have always stayed away from multi-gpu is game compatibility issues.

I have been running a custom cooled GTX480 for a year now and no games (not even Metro 2033) has slowed it down enough for me to want to go SLI.

Haha wow, you jinxed it well and truly with that DOA comment.. better luck with the new mobo

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

thx, my luck is good this time around, made it successfully through post, need to get win7x64 setup on my 830. I've got both my HDD and SSD hooked up to the SATA3 hotswap bays. so goddamned sweet.

edit: well, you can't win them all. I forgot my DVD-RW drive is IDE, not SATA, so no windows installation tonight, lol.

Edited by ungoliant

Getting the speaker config on my Inspire T7700's to work with the onboard Realtek ALC898 on the UD5H board is going to cause me to drive a screwdriver through my eyesocket. or should I stick with the old Audigy 2 ZS PCI card?

stick with the old Audigy 2 ZS PCI card?

Stick with the Audigy2 all day long, its superior in every dept - even more so as its the ZS version.

The only thing and I MEAN the ONLY thing that onboard sound cards are good for is SPDIF (digital) out. I use this function on my media/HTPC pc to get DTS out :-D

TDM is up and running without EAX or Anti Aliasing, but other than that, its fantastic so far.

NHAT3: lowest i've seen is 20fps, avg 30-35fps, mansion area 45-60.

Alchemist: 60fps all the way.

hell yeah. I haven't even overclocked anything yet, this is all stock defaults.

edit: also for fun, threw doom3 on the SSD, HoLS loadtime: ~48 seconds

Edited by ungoliant

I believe I've figured out my audio problem. My 7.1 cables have 4:3 connectors, the output side having Center and Sub together on a 4 pole 3.5mm jack, and the Rear and Side channels together on a 4 pole jack, front channel on its own 3 pole. My onboard sound on the UD5H takes a 4:4 configured cable where the rear / side channels have their own separate 3 pole jacks, and only center and sub are together on 1 jack. I've read some very positive reviews on the realtek 898, even above audigy 2 zs, so i think i'm gonna go for it. but i need a new cable(s).

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=53375

Edited by ungoliant

NHAT3: lowest i've seen is 20fps, avg 30-35fps,

Somethings not right there you have a GTX670 it should be able to run that forest area at full pelt. what AA/PostProc settings are you using..?

I've read some very positive reviews on the realtek 898, even above audigy 2 zs, so i think i'm gonna go for it. but i need a new cable(s).

Hmmm, don't go on the review, go on your ears, I still believe the sound quality on the Audigy will surpass that of the on-board.

Hmmm, don't go on the review, go on your ears, I still believe the sound quality on the Audigy will surpass that of the on-board.

NOPE!! i'm fucking done with Creative. I finally figured out the source of the cable dilemma, and its Creative proprietary bullshit all the way. So, I'm forced to use Audigy 2 ZS and its shitty unupdatable drivers forever, unless I buy ANOTHER creative brand soundcard???!!! I DONT THINK SO!!! Cause of problem (Creative), and solution found! Read this, and never buy creative products again.

http://problemstosol...nd-card-solved/

edit: went out and bought my cable, it works. A single stereo 3.5mm audio cable solves Creative propriety cable nonsense. Now I can get back to TDM in full 7.1 surround!

Edited by ungoliant