The Dark Mod Forums

Silly things that have happened in TDM

Sir Taffsalot

I thought that this might be a fun thread. Anything that is just plain ridiculous that has happened to you while plaything a FM.

I remember playing the rather awesome Lockdown Part 1 and having difficulty getting past this guard. I was trying to turn around the corner of this L shaped corridor and the guard was staionary right in the corner. I can't remember if the lights were electric or I if was out of water arrows but I was unable to extinguish any lights. As he was facing me I couldn't get behind him to use my blackjack either. For a laugh I decided to pick up a large vase that was nearby and walk past him while crouching with the vase infront of me. I did not expect this to work at all but to my suprise it actually did! I think he might have got suspicious but he didn't go into full alert.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

HA! A levitating moving vase only caused suspicion? That's funny.

The most recent "moment" I had was when I was in a side hall of a mansion and extinguished an oil lamp on the wall, to give myself some darkness to hide in. I crouched nearby to peek into the intersecting main hall, and had to pull back quickly because a guard appeared around a corner. He approached my hall, then turned into it, walking past me. Knowing he couldn't see me, I ignored him and went back to peeking into the main hall, to see if there was anyone else.

Behind me, I hear the scritch of a tinderbox and I whirled around to find him relighting the lamp I'd doused! I'd been paying so little attention to him that I must've ignored anything he said about relighting. It was at that moment that two thoughts went through my head:

1 - I had to get the frack away before the relit light busted me

2 - I'd been hoisted by my own petard, for having written the relight code that allowed him to relight that lamp

I scampered into the main hall and ran to a dark spot, laughing all the way.

• Like 3

Heh.. I've had similar experience as grayman.

I've always WIP tested my missions by wandering around the map, checking things. Avoiding the guards was trivial as I knew every single path_corner by heart, hey, it's my map and I placed them. So I strolled around like I owned the place.

But phrase_book used RIT networks, so the AI were completely unpredicable and I didn't take that into account.

So there was Sotha, strolling around his map like he owned the place. I'm in a narrow staircase. Door opens at the top of the stairs: a guard steps into the staircase, heading down. "Oh, no problems, I just go back downstairs..." Door opens at the bottom of the stairs: another guard steps into the staircase, heading up. I'm sitting in the dark, the guards don't yet see me, but it is obvious the guards bump into me when they try to avoid each other in the stairs.

Crap crap! Panic! *opens console*

"notargyt" Argh.. typo!

"motarger" Argh.. another typo. Guard: "Hey a thief! Get him!"

"notargetr" Argh.. Why... cannot... I... type... under... pressure?! *Taking damage*

"notarget" *I got the command right, but died 0.005 seconds before I pushed enter.*

Lesson learnt: respect your RITs.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

In the past some of the AI you could load up in DR didn't have articulated figures yet, so if you added them to a map and the KO'd them, they'd start bouncing and splaying out like crazy, in these weird slow circles through the air until they hit the ground again which just made them bounce up again, and they could keep bouncing in slow gyrations for over a minute or two. It was broken behavior of course, but it was very surreal looking.

As far as a normal game, I always liked taking out an AI from a distance with an arrow, and watching how they'd fall back, especially if water is around, they'll splash down in it and then start bobbing in the water maybe. Just something viscerally satisfying about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I do a lot of testing with AI, and when I'm done I often start shooting mass gas arrows for fun. Occasionally, an AI will catapult into the air after being hit with the arrow like he was shot out of a cannon.

I do a lot of testing with AI, and when I'm done I often start shooting mass gas arrows for fun. Occasionally, an AI will catapult into the air after being hit with the arrow like he was shot out of a cannon.

Yeah, that one's got a bugtracker filed for it. The gas arrow can have a heck of a kick to it.

Its funny to use gas in heavily populated areas. One or two guards go down immediately, while others come to investigate, drawing their swords and saying "get up you ba.....thump!". Every time I see guards at a table, I just can't help myself. The gas lingers in TDM, where as in Thief it went away almost immediately.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Something like this I imagine www.youtube.com/ watch?v=ykNYQF5UwzU&t=10m22s

(Get rid of the space to use the link. The forced embedding doesn't preserve the time, that's why I put that space in there.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 year later...

Ever push a headless maid through a wall? :blink: Well in A Night to Remember" you find two headless maids in the servants room and I was moving a chair and found that it went through a wall. Well the maid did to! 10394026_772440456141132_7949413819704807987_n.jpg?oh=99d7d270153b3d788f73aaa928ce9fd9&oe=5472B81B

Wonder if any other AI character noticed? :blink:

Edited by davecall