The Dark Mod Forums

Needed for Standalone: Animated Skeleton

Springheel

As I said before, if someone can demonstrate that having LOD AI would actually result in significant savings, I'd be willing to look into it. Everything I've seen suggests that the bottleneck with AI is thinking, not poly count.

Lemony: If the mesh is different than the previous one you posted last month, could you give me a copy in .obj format? Or maybe there is one and I missed it? (there are at least 15 different folders in the archive)

As I said before, if someone can demonstrate that having LOD AI would actually result in significant savings, I'd be willing to look into it. Everything I've seen suggests that the bottleneck with AI is thinking, not poly count.

Is there a way to make an AI non-thinking? A spawnarg?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Is there a way to make an AI non-thinking? A spawnarg?

The closest to a spawnarg for this would be "neverdormant 0" which turns off thinking when not in view.

As I recall, the whole enterprise of creating "func_animate" decorative AI was to address this issue. Arcturus demonstrated this

in one of his threads...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

As I recall, the whole enterprise of creating "func_animate" decorative AI was to address this issue.

It's fairly limited in its use, unfortunately. Decent for making a bunch of AI sitting at a bar or standing watching something, but they can't do more than one animation, and they're nonsolid.

The skeleton looks wonderfully detailed and quite sinister!

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

If you could put it under Simon P Heggie that'd be swell =) if someone sees the skeleton and wants more skeletons from me premium, then I'll want them to be able to find me ^^

EDIT: There's an fbx file in the 'scenes' folder that you should be able to open with most 3d applications. it's the best for keeping all the material information and what not. But if you like i can get you an obj tomorrow.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

I tried importing the .fbx into Lightwave but couldn't get it to work. I haven't got Maya installed right now.

Amazing work Lemony, thank you for the time and work you've invested!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Still some work to do...need to add a shadowmesh and fix some welded verts (and add the skull), but I've finished rigging the body:

post-9-0-26037600-1364000577_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, I did notice that actually. I'm not sure why there's a problem there...I haven't had time to look into it yet but I know D3 frequently mirrored models to save UV space without normalmap issues, so it's not unworkable.

Hexen has their own skeleton model; in the past they've wanted to keep their models specific to their mod.