The Dark Mod Forums

Needed for Standalone: Animated Werebeast

Springheel

So far maps just crash a few seconds after loading when he's in them.

One problem might be that the animations need to run on specific channels, and I haven't set them yet.

The channels have to be set by joints. For example, these are the channels on the old werebeast:

channel torso ( *chest )

channel legs ( waist *Hips Body origin )

I think the * includes all child joints attached to that joint. Problem is, the werebeast joint names are all just numbers, so I can't even guess at the channels.

Would you be able to post the joints that should be considered the torso channel, and which would be the legs/hips? Also, I'd like to try a "head" channel, if you could tell me what the lowest neck joint is.

As for screenshots, here he is in DR:

post-9-0-23783000-1373678717_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Also, one other potential problem...does he have an origin bone? I don't see one in the list of joints. He won't be able to walk without one. I'm not sure what will happen if he has one but it's named something else....all the md5meshes I've seen in Doom3 and TDM have one called "origin".

What's the poly count on this guy, btw?

He does have an origin bone, but I don't know its name. Not renaming bones is a bad habbit so they are all probably bone01, bone02 etc (I don't know if the origin was the first bone I made). Unfortunately I won't be able to open the file and look at it until july 20 (end of next week)

Well, I poked around and tried a few things...I renamed the first bone to "origin" and then made everything part of the "legs" channel.

Good news: Map didn't crash, and the werebeast was playing his idle animations.

Bad news: see image. :P

post-9-0-03381100-1373750477_thumb.jpg

He does have an origin bone, but I don't know its name. Not renaming bones is a bad habbit so they are all probably bone01, bone02 etc (I don't know if the origin was the first bone I made). Unfortunately I won't be able to open the file and look at it until july 20 (end of next week)

Looks like we'll be able to get it sorted out then...the "origin" bone needs to be the parent of the entire heirarchy in order to move the mesh...traditionally it's the first bone but I don't know if it has to be. I'm not sure if he's sunk through the floor because the first joint isn't the origin, or if it's because the entire model is considered the leg channel. (although I guess there's an easy way to find out)

edit: Ok, changed the name back to bone001 and he was still sunk into the floor, so that's something to do with the channel issue. Map crashed again, so the crashing is related to not having an "origin" bone, I guess.

If you have any way of looking at the bones, maybe by opening it in an editor or md5 viewer, I can tell you that the origin is at the center of the hip.

I'm pretty sure the origin needs to rest on the ground. Or are you talking about the other end of the bone?

I'm pretty sure the origin needs to rest on the ground. Or are you talking about the other end of the bone?

OH! oooh... Then we do have a problem. I have to create one and remake the walk cycle. But not from scratch, don't worry, it's just a matter of creating the origin and then moving it forward. Unless That breaks the connection between the md5mesh and the animations, that would be bad. But if I keep the same names that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the origin needs to be at 0,0,0, and the rest of the hierarchy should be a child of it. Usually the origin connects to the hips, as in this image:

tdmskeletonrf1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We're hoping to lock down development for 2.0 in less than a week and move into beta-testing. What are the chances you'll be able to get this working in that time frame?

Hey guys! I had a window of opportunity today to try finishing this up. Here's the updated version (just the md5 files, use the same textures as before)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8011761/UpdatedWereBeast.rar

Let's cross our fingers for this to work! tomorrow I'll travel again and will only be back next week, wednesday probably.

After this is done I'll write a small cheklist of things to have in mind when making animated models for D3, for the next modelers and animators. And me, if I get into something like this again.

Well, at the moment I can't get the texture to show up, and the map crashes after a few seconds if he's in it. But he's standing on the ground now, which is something. One concerning thing is that he appears to be rotated 90 counter-clockwise compared to other AI when added to the game. Not sure if that will cause problems or not.

To be honest, I'm not sure I have time to get this ready for 2.0. Even if I could get the above issues sorted, he still needs half a dozen other animations, the animation channels set properly, a ragdoll (which I've never done before) and ik set up for the legs, which I've also never done before. The odds of me being able to find time to learn how to do the latter while beta-testing the release package is slim.

• 2 months later...

It's barely been 24 hours since we released 2.0. I don't think anyone is ready to start thinking about the next update yet.