The Dark Mod Forums

Modern TDM

pusianka

I can poll it only if we agree that we are discussing only wether you'd like the feature itself or not. But not in context of that wether the feature is achieveable or how much time it would take to create which seem to be on your mind mostly. You can't also say that you don't want it becuase TDS would have been so much shorter without the hub because it is not relevant when we have it for FMs...

Edited by pusianka

But you won't have to ungoliant... it is just for the start point. You guys seem to be tryin to complicate it just for the fun of complicating... I know you dislike new games but seriously some ideas aren't as bad as they seem...

A hub isn't a new idea. :)

I like new games, I just don't happen to like the idea of a HUB in TDM, nor did I enjoy it in TDS. As much as they tried to make the hub in TDS be a part of the story, it simply came across as what it was...a cheap way to extend the play time by using a base set of maps over and over again.

I don't want any part of that for TDM. No time wasting. TDM is a lean cut, I don't want to find any fat on it.

The day I need to traverse half the city to the ye-olde-builder-forge to change my graphics settings is the day I quit playing TDM.

I love this thread. It's keeping me quite entertained during a very boring afternoon at work.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I love spending time in TDM missions, I just don't want to waste time in a hub. lol

The answer to the question at hand is...would the development team support / design this. Without speaking for the entire team, my guess would be no. That's not our idea of what TDM is....any remaining devs who might disagree will share their own views.

This isn't the type of thing that would become a supported TDM feature in my opinion, it just doesn't gel with what we wanted TDM to be, however it could make a lovely community add on project for any aspiring developers out there who are interested in such a thing. Given the trouble we have finding help though, it may be a tough sell.

Long story short...the team has enough work to do, enough features to finish / enhance, enough bugs to fix.

The hub idea isn't new. We discussed it within the first year of development and dismissed it for multiple reasons. I'll see if I can dredge up the thread if I get some spare time.

I don't think one dev liking it will make a difference. :) I have to know...who are you proposing should make this? Is this a proposal for the development team, or are you throwing it out to the community as a community built and maintained side project that people can choose to download as an add on? The latter is really the only viable option that I can see as I'm fairly certain the team doesn't have the interest to do this...and I know for a fact that the manpower doesn't exist.

NH that is what I keep getting at. I am asking wether you like the feature and you keep getting back to the technical side of wether it's possible to be a part of the project developement. Treat this whole thing like a research and I'll be very glad. :)

Imagine a TDM with that.

You wake up in house, start scrolling through assignments on the table, choose one and get out into the city. On the way, you can enjoy the beautiful streets and rob the unaware people. See it with eyes of your imagination in all its beauty.

You wake up in house, start scrolling through assignments on the table, choose one and get out into the city. On the way, you can enjoy the beautiful streets and rob the unaware people. See it with eyes of your imagination in all its beauty.

You seem to be under the impression that I and the other devs haven't 'imagined' it. :) We have...and I have again upon reading your first post...in multiple ways, and it still comes down to not liking it. That's approaching it as a player.

From a developlement standpoint, I then approach it from other angles...all of which are relevant.

So, simple answer...no, I don't like it.

What you discuss sounds like a GTA game. While I don't feel it is a bad idea, and I would love to try it if you had it built and sitting around ready to play... I'm sure the developers aren't about to dedicate the massive amount of time it would take to make something like this happen. I don't blame them.

Technically, you would need a central map and that map would have to be updated every time a new mission was released. You would also have to redownload the central map every time a new mission came out. Also, we have no idea how big (in terms of FMs) TDM will get. It would be challenging to build a believable environment which is subject to change by any third party who chooses to set their mission in a given area.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

This idea would make sense for a single character who lives in one place and goes out on a number of different missions.

It makes no sense for the framework we've already built, which allows for various characters, various mission start locations, various motivations, various [fill in the blank].

For example, in my series, my character's first mission doesn't start in Bridgeport, he doesn't start as a thief, and forcing him to start out as a thief in his hideout in Bridgeport and walk to a city gate so that he can then magically travel north and start the mission itself as a non-thief makes absolutely no sense.

If someone builds a campaign with a single character around a hub-based design that's incorporated into the campaign, that's great.

But I wouldn't modify TDM itself to force a hub framework on everyone who wants to make a mission and tell their own story.

The original concept for Vengeance for a Thief Part 1 was to actually create an FM that had a central city hub. You started the FM in your home and had 3 objectives to complete. One in a City Watch station, one in a Builder church and one in a warehouse all located at different ends of the city and all could be completed in any order. I got as far as creating most of the city and starting on the City watch station when I realised it would have been absolutely huge and I would have probably got burnout long before it was finished. I changed it into a 2 part campaign because I came up with a better story and could take a break in between part 1 and 2.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Pusianka this idea is the same has the 3D desktop that i add installed one time on my PC, the first impression was "Awesome i can treat the icons has physical objects and throw them around how cool is that!!" after 30 minutes "Man my PC is slower with this and opening programs was faster before, i will uninstall this." and i did was the best decision of my life.

Your friend have played to many Assassins Creed, he thinks all games need to have a complicated RPG like Hub and quest system, but that is not true not all games work well with it and imo the DM system is very good just one thing doesn't make it perfect for we, the one mission installed at the time limitation and the necessity to restart the game after any installation.

In v1.08, you don't need to restart TDM anymore, it just reloads the contents, which is much faster (also, tdmlauncher is no more needed, so it starts faster and uses less memory :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax