Photo

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12) (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (6 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Tolerable (12 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Good (23 votes [42.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.59%

4. Excellent (11 votes [20.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.37%

5. Near Perfect (2 votes [3.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

1. Poor (1 votes [1.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [3.70%] - View)

3. Good (9 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Excellent (31 votes [57.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.41%

5. Near Perfect (11 votes [20.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.37%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

1. Poor (2 votes [3.70%] - View)

2. Tolerable (9 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Good (23 votes [42.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.59%

4. Excellent (13 votes [24.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.07%

5. Near Perfect (7 votes [12.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 Azatoth

Azatoth

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Azatoth, 21 September 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#77 ilovethief

ilovethief

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

@ilovethief: well I do need a little bit of help over here. It's a silly problem, really.

Spoiler

Now you need to go in the big room down in the "basement" where you set up the skull, there is a new exit hole in a wall, on the left side from the skull. ;)

#78 Azatoth

Azatoth

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

@ilovethief: Wait, who is right then ?
Spoiler

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to noclip because of the aformentionned bug.

EDIT 2: I've finally finished this great FM. This one is going to my favorites. The gargoyle issue should really be fixed though.

Edited by Azatoth, 21 September 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#79 lost_soul

lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

This is a nice looking mission, but too cryptic for me. I'm in the
Spoiler

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

#80 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

This is a nice looking mission, but too cryptic for me. I'm in the

Spoiler

General hint:
Spoiler

Specific hint:
Spoiler

#81 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Well, I "finished" the FM... meaning, I had to cheat a lot and still do not understand, how somebody is supposed to find everything.
Spoiler

#82 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sorry to correct you: there is no button which does not work.
In that room there are 2 buttons (!) instead that you need to push. For sure you missed the other one.
And you do not have to 'noclip' in order to make progress. :rolleyes:
While this mission surely is unique in some way, it is clearly not impossible to play it in a reasonable way.
Ok, there is virtually no story and the entire thing is just a plain a key-hunt, with great visual effects.
But hey ! With your lantern and some thoroughfull investigation there is barely anything you could miss. :excl:
Get back to the mission and use your lantern in the dark rooms - because that is is what it is intended for. :)
Loot should not be a problem either, I played on the highest level.
:ph34r:

Edited by gnartsch, 22 September 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#83 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've played it through three times now on each level of difficulty and I've never got more than about 1100 loot so I'm still missing at least one key/lever. (First playthrough on easy took over 5 hours, BTW, but now it takes a bit over 1 hour :P .) I'm a fan of this mission but even so I couldn't argue that there are elements which are completely "How is anyone meant to work that out?"

use your lantern in the dark rooms

That's about the only thing I haven't done yet, but as long as I play in a dark room the low ambient light hasn't been a problem (in fact, it's one of the things I love above it - Shadowhide isn't afraid of contrast in his lighting).

#84 Iz Quierda

Iz Quierda

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Without a doubt and with all due respect to those that came before this is far and away, twice-over at least, the best mission ever created for TDM.

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING EPIC.

..Yes.

#85 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Sorry to correct you: there is no button which does not work.
In that room there are 2 buttons (!) instead that you need to push. For sure you missed the other one.
And you do not have to 'noclip' in order to make progress. :rolleyes:
While this mission surely is unique in some way, it is clearly not impossible to play it in a reasonable way.
Ok, there is virtually no story and the entire thing is just a plain a key-hunt, with great visual effects.
But hey ! With your lantern and some thoroughfull investigation there is barely anything you could miss. :excl:
Get back to the mission and use your lantern in the dark rooms - because that is is what it is intended for. :)
Loot should not be a problem either, I played on the highest level.
:ph34r:

Hi gnartsch, thanks for your hints, but there's no need to teach me how to play.(deleted). I was barely expressing my thoughts on this mission. You do not have to agree. Thank you.

Edited by fraten, 27 September 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#86 bassmanret

bassmanret

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Unfortunately, I'm finding this mission as frustrating as others, and like most Dark Mod missions, I won't be finishing it because I just don't have the time, patience or interest. It really is a shame that most DM authors seem to try to make their missions more "challenging" than "fun".

#87 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

OK, I'm at the very end, and it seems I'm missing something very obvious.

Spoiler

#88 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5507 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

My memory is getting fuzzy but I believe
Spoiler

Posted Image

#89 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

OK, I'm at the very end, and it seems I'm missing something very obvious.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#90 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

I really enjoyed this mission - hats off to Shadowhide, he's a pretty creative guy even though he's (deservedly) taken a beating around here. Seems like quite a few people have had trouble getting through the mission though (myself included), so I decided to do a walkthrough that should help anyone who's stuck finish it up..

Attached Files

• 7upMan, Shadowhide, nbohr1more and 1 other like this

#91 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

On a similar note, with Shadowhide's permission I've put together (fairly crude) maps of each floor so players can have some idea of where they need to go when they've found stuff :smile:. Really I've done them for people who hate key-hunts but may feel inclined to give the mission a go if they have some directions (if only for the amazing ending), so the maps are pretty detailed re locations of secret levers/buttons etc.

So don't look if you want the full key-hunt experience :laugh: . Comments/feedback welcome.
Spoiler

EDIT: Lower detail maps (i.e. just showing the locations of the various brothers' rooms) available here.

P.S. @Brethren - thanks for the walkthrough; really helped me find a room I hadn't found before. However, I think there's one thing you missed (and it's not surprising, coz it probably tops the 'How was I meant to know THAT?' list; in fact, I'm astonished anyone found it at all): -
Spoiler

Edited by simplen00b, 05 October 2012 - 07:41 AM.

• Shadowhide, nbohr1more and Deadlove like this

#92 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

i decided to have another go at this , freezes and all ! By fair means and foul I've
Spoiler
Only got this far by cheating , fun mission though !

#93 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

i decided to have another go at this , freezes and all ! By fair means and foul I've

Spoiler
Only got this far by cheating , fun mission though !

Spoiler

Edited by Thiefette, 26 September 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#94 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

P.S. @Brethren - thanks for the walkthrough; really helped me find a room I hadn't found before. However, I think there's one thing you missed (and it's not surprising, coz it probably tops the 'How was I meant to know THAT?' list; in fact, I'm astonished anyone found it at all):

For the most part, I tried to keep the walkthru to only required steps needed to finish the mission, I intentionally left out specific loot locations as loot is optional. Don't want to give everything away, right? B)

I'd really like to make a video walkthru for this, and just see more video walks in general for TDM.

#95 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

For the most part, I tried to keep the walkthru to only required steps needed to finish the mission, I intentionally left out specific loot locations as loot is optional. Don't want to give everything away, right?

Fair do's. I'm thinking of doing a lower-info version of the maps, maybe with just the brother's rooms labelled, so players can at least cut out some of the "Does this key fit this door? No.... This door? Nooo..... This door?" (etc etc). BTW, your walkthrough also helped me find some rope arrows for the first time ever, which'll save
Spoiler
:P

Re the final jump in to the water - have to say, I just quicksave beforehand and keep doing it until I don't die. Really don't know what keeps killing me.

I'd really like to make a video walkthru for this, and just see more video walks in general for TDM.

I would LOVE to see Fenn Phoenix do a "Let's Play" of this mission (especially the final part). Just not sure how he'd last through the key hunt....

#96 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Unfortunately, I'm finding this mission as frustrating as others, and like most Dark Mod missions, I won't be finishing it because I just don't have the time, patience or interest.

The blame for want of a better word for how hard or easy a mission is to play isnt anything to do with TDM itself, in this instance as in some other missions its down to the author. I did ask to author to let me beta test this before release as I would have either gotten him to fix the various annoyances or done it myself for him, but that said this mission is a lot better than his first attempt.

#97 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Spoiler

Thanks Thiefette will do , sanity preserved ! Fun mission !

#98 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

I would LOVE to see Fenn Phoenix do a "Let's Play" of this mission (especially the final part). Just not sure how he'd last through the key hunt....

Am I the only one who finds these things annoying? Guys like Fenn and PewDiePie seem to have a cult following, but I have a hard time lasting more than 30 seconds with their constant jabbering, screaming, cracking awful jokes and laughing during a basic walkthrough. So irritating and at least IMO, not remotely funny. If I ever do one of these, it will be with minimal narration.

#99 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5507 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

I think *if* people are going to do playthrus, they should stay true to their own style, and it's up to the viewer if they're going to be a fan of that style or not. And I think it's better for there to be more playthrus than less. I'm not the biggest fan of Fenn's style, but I don't hate it either, and I like watching LPs, so it's a wash. I do like there to be *some* commentary and not just mostly silence. If you did some playthrus with minimal narration I'd probably like those too... What would make you stand out is if you kept it up as a regular gig. That's what makes some of these guys popular, because they don't just do one or two LPs and stop. They keep it up over a lot of FMs.
Posted Image

#100 Flanders

Flanders

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

OMFG

This mission was perect!!! Gameplay, looks, even story. Had no difficuties in any of the objectives, except for finding the loot.

Spoiler

great job shadowhide! hope you make more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users