The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)

demagogue

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

@ilovethief: well I do need a little bit of help over here. It's a silly problem, really.

I placed the ruby on the gargoyle's head and heard something like a wall moving but I don't know what it was. Any hint ?

Now you need to go in the big room down in the "basement" where you set up the skull, there is a new exit hole in a wall, on the left side from the skull. ;)

@ilovethief: Wait, who is right then ?

I don't see any hole.

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to noclip because of the aformentionned bug.

EDIT 2: I've finally finished this great FM. This one is going to my favorites. The gargoyle issue should really be fixed though.

Edited by Azatoth

This is a nice looking mission, but too cryptic for me. I'm in the

crypt area across the cave near the beginning and I have no idea what to do. I found a room by noclipping on the left side with gear but I have no idea to actually open it.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

This is a nice looking mission, but too cryptic for me. I'm in the

crypt area across the cave near the beginning and I have no idea what to do. I found a room by noclipping on the left side with gear but I have no idea to actually open it.

General hint:

Secret lever in the nearby crypt area (with the chains)

Specific hint:

The metal loop on the wall above the left-hand crypt

Well, I "finished" the FM... meaning, I had to cheat a lot and still do not understand, how somebody is supposed to find everything.

With help from this thread I managed to get to the button that does not work (like Bikerdude already mentioned) so I had to noclip through the wall and find Clement. After that I was completely lost. I only understood afterwards that you need to put the ruby in the gargoyle's eye (so I noclipped into that room, too). Then, I was only left with the objective to find "something valuable". Still have no clue what is meant here. Again, I had to noclip trough a wall in the crypt and could start the boat-trip although the objective was not ticked off. So, I finished without finishing all the objectives. Throughout the whole mission I would have liked some guidance, maybe by more readables, that explain what the player might actually do to fulfil all the objectives. For instance, I thought the ruby (since it wasn't loot) would be "something valuable" and thought, well, maybe the FM is buggy, like the Clement-button that should have worked. Completely by chance I found the golden sword. Why the hell should someone go back into the dead man's room, after killing Clement? Stuff like that ruined it for me. Although, of course, visually the mission is gold. It was the story that confused me. Why am I here? What are the builders planning? Why so many secret rooms and levers? Why would someone have ponds before the staircases?

Sorry to correct you: there is no button which does not work.

In that room there are 2 buttons (!) instead that you need to push. For sure you missed the other one.

And you do not have to 'noclip' in order to make progress. :rolleyes:

While this mission surely is unique in some way, it is clearly not impossible to play it in a reasonable way.

Ok, there is virtually no story and the entire thing is just a plain a key-hunt, with great visual effects.

But hey ! With your lantern and some thoroughfull investigation there is barely anything you could miss. :excl:

Get back to the mission and use your lantern in the dark rooms - because that is is what it is intended for. :)

Loot should not be a problem either, I played on the highest level.

:ph34r:

Edited by gnartsch

I've played it through three times now on each level of difficulty and I've never got more than about 1100 loot so I'm still missing at least one key/lever. (First playthrough on easy took over 5 hours, BTW, but now it takes a bit over 1 hour :P .) I'm a fan of this mission but even so I couldn't argue that there are elements which are completely "How is anyone meant to work that out?"

use your lantern in the dark rooms

That's about the only thing I haven't done yet, but as long as I play in a dark room the low ambient light hasn't been a problem (in fact, it's one of the things I love above it - Shadowhide isn't afraid of contrast in his lighting).

Sorry to correct you: there is no button which does not work.

In that room there are 2 buttons (!) instead that you need to push. For sure you missed the other one.

And you do not have to 'noclip' in order to make progress. :rolleyes:

While this mission surely is unique in some way, it is clearly not impossible to play it in a reasonable way.

Ok, there is virtually no story and the entire thing is just a plain a key-hunt, with great visual effects.

But hey ! With your lantern and some thoroughfull investigation there is barely anything you could miss. :excl:

Get back to the mission and use your lantern in the dark rooms - because that is is what it is intended for. :)

Loot should not be a problem either, I played on the highest level.

:ph34r:

Hi gnartsch, thanks for your hints, but there's no need to teach me how to play.(deleted). I was barely expressing my thoughts on this mission. You do not have to agree. Thank you.

Edited by fraten

OK, I'm at the very end, and it seems I'm missing something very obvious.

I found the hole in the wall by the altar after all hell breaks loose, but inside I find nothing but a series of caves with a dropoff that always kills me. What am I missing in here? I've seen mentions of a "boat ride" but haven't found anything like this yet.

My memory is getting fuzzy but I believe

a dropoff is supposed to be into the water with the boat, and that's the end. So effectively you can say you finished it. Maybe there was a bugged teleport there, and you could try the dropoff again? Is this the part where you had to take the underwater tunnels, holding your breath for a while (or was that earlier)? Did you complete all the mandatory objectives?

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

OK, I'm at the very end, and it seems I'm missing something very obvious.

I found the hole in the wall by the altar after all hell breaks loose, but inside I find nothing but a series of caves with a dropoff that always kills me. What am I missing in here? I've seen mentions of a "boat ride" but haven't found anything like this yet.

I died the first time also, I had just walked off the drop off. The ending worked when I did a running jump so that I kind of landed in the middle. Then I had to swim to the surface. It took a little time to get the boat going. There was something on shore (don't want to spoil it) but I'm not sure what the purpose was. Then it's just a long boat ride.

On a similar note, with Shadowhide's permission I've put together (fairly crude) maps of each floor so players can have some idea of where they need to go when they've found stuff :smile:. Really I've done them for people who hate key-hunts but may feel inclined to give the mission a go if they have some directions (if only for the amazing ending), so the maps are pretty detailed re locations of secret levers/buttons etc.

So don't look if you want the full key-hunt experience :laugh: . Comments/feedback welcome.

post-9265-0-62144400-1348617577_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-17066100-1348617599_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-42103700-1348617613_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Lower detail maps (i.e. just showing the locations of the various brothers' rooms) available here.

P.S. @Brethren - thanks for the walkthrough; really helped me find a room I hadn't found before. However, I think there's one thing you missed (and it's not surprising, coz it probably tops the 'How was I meant to know THAT?' list; in fact, I'm astonished anyone found it at all): -

After you've killed Clement & got the ruby, go back to Brother Bertram's room through the secret passage from the library. There is now a golden sword hanging in the air in the middle of the room worth 75 loot.

Edited by simplen00b
  • Like 4

i decided to have another go at this , freezes and all ! By fair means and foul I've

found the ruby , dodged the lightning bolts and reached the water filled basement.But can i find the way out , no!? i have found a tunnel with green red blue lights which seems to go round and round in circles coming back to the same place. I know there's now a walk through , but to save my sanity can someone please give me a clear hint from here to the water chute and boat!

Only got this far by cheating , fun mission though !

i decided to have another go at this , freezes and all ! By fair means and foul I've

found the ruby , dodged the lightning bolts and reached the water filled basement.But can i find the way out , no!? i have found a tunnel with green red blue lights which seems to go round and round in circles coming back to the same place. I know there's now a walk through , but to save my sanity can someone please give me a clear hint from here to the water chute and boat!

Only got this far by cheating , fun mission though !

It's kind of easy to miss the turn as we naturally want to follow the more lit up areas. When you first go into the tunnel you will come to a right hand turn but go left. ( I think it's just after you go in so just check to the left at the turns and you should find what you're looking for.) Jump to the middle of the hole to avoid dieing.

Edited by Thiefette

P.S. @Brethren - thanks for the walkthrough; really helped me find a room I hadn't found before. However, I think there's one thing you missed (and it's not surprising, coz it probably tops the 'How was I meant to know THAT?' list; in fact, I'm astonished anyone found it at all):

For the most part, I tried to keep the walkthru to only required steps needed to finish the mission, I intentionally left out specific loot locations as loot is optional. Don't want to give everything away, right? B)

I'd really like to make a video walkthru for this, and just see more video walks in general for TDM.

For the most part, I tried to keep the walkthru to only required steps needed to finish the mission, I intentionally left out specific loot locations as loot is optional. Don't want to give everything away, right?

Fair do's. I'm thinking of doing a lower-info version of the maps, maybe with just the brother's rooms labelled, so players can at least cut out some of the "Does this key fit this door? No.... This door? Nooo..... This door?" (etc etc). BTW, your walkthrough also helped me find some rope arrows for the first time ever, which'll save

lugging those crates to the basement

:P

Re the final jump in to the water - have to say, I just quicksave beforehand and keep doing it until I don't die. Really don't know what keeps killing me.

I'd really like to make a video walkthru for this, and just see more video walks in general for TDM.

I would LOVE to see Fenn Phoenix do a "Let's Play" of this mission (especially the final part). Just not sure how he'd last through the key hunt....

Unfortunately, I'm finding this mission as frustrating as others, and like most Dark Mod missions, I won't be finishing it because I just don't have the time, patience or interest.

The blame for want of a better word for how hard or easy a mission is to play isnt anything to do with TDM itself, in this instance as in some other missions its down to the author. I did ask to author to let me beta test this before release as I would have either gotten him to fix the various annoyances or done it myself for him, but that said this mission is a lot better than his first attempt.

It's kind of easy to miss the turn as we naturally want to follow the more lit up areas. When you first go into the tunnel you will come to a right hand turn but go left. ( I think it's just after you go in so just check to the left at the turns and you should find what you're looking for.) Jump to the middle of the hole to avoid dieing.

Thanks Thiefette will do , sanity preserved ! Fun mission !

I would LOVE to see Fenn Phoenix do a "Let's Play" of this mission (especially the final part). Just not sure how he'd last through the key hunt....

Am I the only one who finds these things annoying? Guys like Fenn and PewDiePie seem to have a cult following, but I have a hard time lasting more than 30 seconds with their constant jabbering, screaming, cracking awful jokes and laughing during a basic walkthrough. So irritating and at least IMO, not remotely funny. If I ever do one of these, it will be with minimal narration.

• Like 1

I think *if* people are going to do playthrus, they should stay true to their own style, and it's up to the viewer if they're going to be a fan of that style or not. And I think it's better for there to be more playthrus than less. I'm not the biggest fan of Fenn's style, but I don't hate it either, and I like watching LPs, so it's a wash. I do like there to be *some* commentary and not just mostly silence. If you did some playthrus with minimal narration I'd probably like those too... What would make you stand out is if you kept it up as a regular gig. That's what makes some of these guys popular, because they don't just do one or two LPs and stop. They keep it up over a lot of FMs.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.