The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)

demagogue

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I agree with Sir Taffsalot.

The amount of time I have spent trawling through all the rooms looking for hidden switches and keys is really off putting and, other than the atmospherics and graphics which are good, there doesn't seem to be any incentive to finish it

Edited by Oldjim
  • Like 1

I have not played this (as most FMs :) but I'd like to congratulate Shadowhide for finishing his FM. This is good news for everyone!

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Help i have some questions?

1. i have small lever, where to use it?

2. how to open secret wall door in the clement room? (button does not work)

3. where is key for a little box in the dining room?

Please answer...

Re no 1: I'm guessing it's

the dark blue room in the basement with a panel on the wall by the bed that can be frobbed

but I could be wrong cuz I don't have that lever. Where did you find it?

No. 2:

There's another button in the room you need to press as well.

No 3 I'm stuck on too.

'Fraid I'm struggling to enjoy this now - I felt like I was on a real roll:

needed a spoiler for the secret lever in the library, but got the skull (loved the creepy voices), quickly realised where I needed to put it (more creepy voices - yes!), got the key to Clement's room, opened the secret passageway, crept up to the final door, gearing myself up for a major confrontation, really enjoying the build-up in atmosphere, and

NO. NO. NO. Do not tell me, now, at this climactic moment of excitement, that I have to go and find another wretched key.

Sorry. Sorry. Sorry for shouting*, just really disappointed. Up till now this is probably the only key hunt FM I've ever played that I've actually enjoyed, but this has killed it for me, for this session anyway. Just wish I hadn't been allowed to get this far without picking up everything else that I needed to pick up (I know, easier said than done).

I'll go and calm down and come back to it tomorrow. Sorry again. :(

*Edited to reduce typographical impact of my venting

Edited by simplen00b

Re no 1: I'm guessing it's

the dark blue room in the basement with a panel on the wall by the bed that can be frobbed

but I could be wrong cuz I don't have that lever. Where did you find it?

The lever you're looking for is on the ground near the stack of barrels on the top floor, around the front door.

No 3 I'm stuck on too. (3. where is key for a little box in the dining room?)

I found that key, but my memory is slipping. Looking at the TTLG thread on this, I believe the key for the little box you're looking for is going to be in the room opened up with the lever (since it's always people that haven't found the lever or panel that haven't found that key. Then that little box will give you access to the "wretched key" you speak of.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks demagogue. Very gracious response to my venting. I had clambered around

those barrels

but not seen anything. I'll give it another go tonight.

In reflection, I think it's to the game design's credit that it took me this long to get frustrated (and if that doesn't win me Most Back-Handed Compliment of the Year Award, nothing will). I normally hate searching for levers and stuff with a vengeance and just give up, but this one didn't feel too difficult and I was trotting around it quite happily. I just felt like (warning: incoming self-justification) I had got this wonderfully wrapped present (espec. given a comment that the best stuff is at the end) and I was starting to peel off layer after layer of lovely wrapping paper and it was all coming off beautifully and I was just getting to the very last layer when - I had to stop and go into town to buy the right pair of scissors cuz that was the only way to take this layer off and I didn't know where the scissors were and - yeah, well, anyway.

Will probably edit earlier post to make it less of an assault on the eyeballs for unsuspecting forum browsers.

I've checked out TTLG threads etc , can't find anyone else who has experienced freezes with this mission as per my last two posts. Might be to do with my computer but as I often replay old misssions and they are o.k I can't see that's the reason. Shame looked decent apart from that , but at least I won't be subjected to the key search frustration now! :rolleyes:

:o

What little time I have goes into developtment of TDM, so there is almost no time to actually play. (Besides, everytime I play for more than 5 minutes I see another bug that needs fixing :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I've finished playing this mission and have to start off with saying congrats too Shadowhide. He seems to have listened and learned well. That being said I don't think I'd have finished without spoiler help so thanks to those who finished before me.

I liked the "feel" of the castle. The atmosphere throughout the game was good. I kept expecting spiders or something to come out of the dark and grab me. The lighting seemed right but was a little to dark for me and I had to turn up my settings. I don't think I've ever used my lantern so much in a mission. I am one who will search most nook and crannies but even I became a little bored and frustrated with key and switch searches. Running up and down 3 floors and searching all rooms several times got old before long.

I spent a long time in the cell (at the beginning) because the seeds on the floor didn't highlight and when I went to use the water I thought I'd drank it. I also had trouble with the voices (not the thiefs) that would speak out everyonce in a while. I could not understand what they were saying. I also came to the end before I'd even filled my loot objective by picking up the amulet and all hell breaking loose. Besides not knowing where to go from there, I doubt I could have finished the game, so I had to go back and load a previous save.

There was alot I enjoyed about this mission but the frustrating searches took some of that away. Thanks for the mission Shadowhide.

Maybe this will cause a little smile on your lips: I’d like to ask sth. about the mission, but don’t know how to use that "spoiler thingie"... Consider me total newbie :)

In the repy box look for the little square with green lines (special BB code). Click on it and a menu opens, scroll to spoilers and click on that. Type your spoiler between the brackets.

Also welcome to the Dark Mod.

Edited by Thiefette

So, here’s my problem:

I finally reached the library, frob the secret switch but can’t find what I opened. I’ve been running around the level for three times but didn’t find anything.

It is nice mission but this constant search is starting to be a little annoying.

So, here’s my problem:

I finally reached the library, frob the secret switch but can’t find what I opened. I’ve been running around the level for three times but didn’t find anything.

It is nice mission but this constant search is starting to be a little annoying.

You opened a hole in the wall opposite that switch.

Frustrating freezes anyone? :angry: Maybe not as everyone seems to be finishing it o.k. Had hoped to solve it before I pack the main computer away for the house move but guess I'll look at it again November time.

Edited by raymeld

I don't think I'll rate it in view of the above , may be too biased.

Frustrating freezes anyone? :angry: Maybe not as everyone seems to be finishing it o.k.

Dunno if it'd help, but have you posted your system specs anywhere? I've got a fairly powerful set-up and I got some sudden frame-rate drops but it doesn't sound like that's your problem. (S'hide uses a lot of moving-shadow lighting, which I love but can be a real frame-rate killer IIRC.)

Anyway, just wanted to say I've finally completed the mission (on easy) and - WOW. The moment when the final challenge kicked off was one of the most jaw-dropping moments I've had in any - well, I was going to say FM but I think I could say any Thief mission, period - and I found I needed some pretty Thief-y skills to get round. More than made up for the earlier frustration, although after exploring one avenue fruitlessly, I did use a spoiler to find out where to go - it was hard enough to get around knowing where I was going, let alone stumbling around cluelessly.

After some consideration, I voted 'Excellent' for gameplay, which may be over-flattering given my earlier outburst, but the frustrations really were outweighed by the good stuff (I'd say I had similar frustration levels with Heart of Lone Salvation, which I also loved despite the difficulties).

Voted 'Excellent' for appearance - the only thing that stopped me voting 'near perfect' was that the fog effects especially got a bit too much at times (especially in crouch mode, which is my default position a lot of the time). Voted 'Good' for story - really liked the whole background ambience of the place gradually being consumed by pagan evil, but at the same time it didn't feel like I could much about it except get out before the whole place went down :) .

Maybe we should have a collection of spoilers for key-hunt-haters so they can do all the legwork as quickly as possible and then enjoy the final section. It really is quite amazing. I know S'hide says he's never going to make another one. I really hope he changes his mind.

Finally finished it - the big problem was I didn't find Cedric's key on the first play through

under the mat for goodness sake

The end part was by far the most interesting but I have to admit I needed a couple of hints to find out

what to do with the ruby and where was the way out - I had expected it to be in the underground chapel near the start with the illuminated script on the wall

@ilovethief: well I do need a little bit of help over here. It's a silly problem, really.

I placed the ruby on the gargoyle's head and heard something like a wall moving but I don't know what it was. Any hint ?

Just under the gargoyle a small part of the wall moves out. But if you stand too close to it it doesn't open as it hits you

Edited by Oldjim