Photo

Fan Mission: In the North (by grayman) (2012/10/20)

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

Poll: In the North (by grayman) (2012/10/20) (112 member(s) have cast votes)

Appearance

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Could Be Better (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Average (1 votes [0.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.89%

4. Good (13 votes [11.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.61%

5. Excellent (98 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Gameplay

3. Average (1 votes [0.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.89%

4. Good (23 votes [20.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.54%

5. Excellent (88 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Story

3. Average (3 votes [2.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.68%

4. Good (28 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Excellent (81 votes [72.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16686 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

@grayman

Spoiler

#302 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16686 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

Great mission, finished in about 7 hours plus reloads. Stealth 2. Lots of interest throughout and well-paced. Clues were okay though it did seem a bit overloaded near the start with papers everywhere! Not sure how to make it more subtle, maybe the odd note tucked under a pillow or in a drawer and not a confession right on top of a cabinet for anyone to see? But then players would complain they never found a crucial note, I guess. Visually great. Navigation excellent and even with a map I kept getting lost just like in real life. I was just beginning to grasp the layout by the end of the mission. More stairs per square foot than I've ever seen in any mission. AI coped well moving about and I only saw one temporary traffic jam which eventually cleared itself. Busy with lots of enemy to keep it alive and keep the player on their toes. Enjoyed it a lot. Got stuck on one objective but now done (see spoiler.)

Thanks, grayman, I'll download the sequel. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

• Melan likes this

#303 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

@Fidcal:

Whew! Glad you got past the issue you were having.

Spoiler

Once you're through Home Again and ready to play Cleighmoor, let me know. I'll give you a temp solution for a game-killing bug there that perhaps 1 in a dozen people encounter. Just involves editing the *.map file w/o having to rebuild. I have an update ready for distribution, but I don't plan to do that until I release WS4 and WS5, which are nearly complete, but won't come out until after TDM 2.05.

#304 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16686 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

@grayman.

Spoiler

#305 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

@Fidcal,

Spoiler

#306 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

I added a section to the Cleighmoor OP titled Problem with Suicidal AI.

Follow the directions, and you shouldn't encounter an aborted game.

#307 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16686 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

@grayman

Spoiler

Wasn't able to get the WS3 map, the download link led to an advert for Roblox or something and demanded I sign up! I tried again but couldn't see any other link.

#308 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hmm.

I moved the file from Mediafire to Dropbox.

Try the link again.

#309 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16686 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Okay, got it now. Thanks, grayman.  

#310 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Bug report

Spoiler

Edited by Anderson, 21 July 2016 - 10:15 AM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#311 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

@Anderson:

Spoiler

• Anderson likes this

#312 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

I'll go on later today after some works and report on the rest of the mission. It's justifiably on solid grounds for the praise as an outstanding FM already.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

#313 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

A little late but finally done.

Spoiler

Everything is as was mentioned by others - top notch!

The narrative is beautiful, readables abundandant and rich to give a sense of a real mansion with a life of its own with everyone trying to make ends meet their own hidden way.

The only critical outlook would be directed towards the pathing of the elite guards who were really a pain to my exploration, but their silence really does give away how professional they are. Kinda like the Keeper hunters from Thief 3. Loved that approach.

To note though that the lady guarded sometimes went to bed with the body glitching out and floating above the bed. 

With a few tweaks for bug squashing this definately didn't lose anything in the way of being called one of the best FM's for TDM. Capital!

Edited by Anderson, 29 July 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#314 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:17 AM

Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully WS2 and WS3 will also be satisfying.

WS4 and WS5 nearly complete, and I've even begun tentative first steps in WS6.

• AluminumHaste and Anderson like this

#315 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6203 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

WS4 AND WS5?!?!? Oh you tease! <3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#316 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

Best wishes in those steps and take care of yourself! All will come in due time. That is more than reasonable to understand for us.

#317 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

While this is a fun mission and I'm greatly enjoying it, I have a bug report.

Spoiler

Edited by The Dark One, 15 August 2018 - 04:27 PM.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

#318 joebarnin

joebarnin

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

Just finished. This is a brilliant mission! A rich layout, full of spacial complexity. Good set of stories and characters. It looked great, too. Looking forward to the sequels.

Thank you!

#319 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

Just finished. This is a brilliant mission! A rich layout, full of spacial complexity. Good set of stories and characters. It looked great, too. Looking forward to the sequels.

Thank you!

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed it.

#320 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:57 PM

2.06, 32bit, Windows 10.

https://i.imgur.com/uvpsf1U.jpg

Can't frob this guard's key, before or after knocking her out or trying with notarget. Am I doomed? There a give command to give the key to me?

#321 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12634 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:36 AM

Spoiler

• SuaveSteve likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users