The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: In the North (by grayman) (2012/10/20)

grayman

In the North (by grayman) (2012/10/20)  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

Oh no not you too! Damn. You could try using LAA to set the large address aware flag on thedarkmod.exe before uninstalling/reinstalling doom 3.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

EDIT: Although I'm pretty sure that flag is already set. Yeah it's already set by default looks like, at least it is on my computer:

post-529-0-78760000-1350869916_thumb.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, tried the 4GB patch, no dice.

If I read the malloc error correctly it looks like it's hitting something at 128MB. (divided number by 1024 twice

since that would be bytes... based on the interaction table size format...). I tried upping my AGP aperture to 256

but it had no effect...

I few more noddles and it's time to give up...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Just finished!

As Biker said, this is candidate to be one of the best FM for TDM so far.

As appareance and architecture , IMHO is the best.

The stealth classic thief gameplay it's a their best, the lightning technique and the AI it's superior . IMHO only the story it's not so magic as the rest of this masterpiece. I really enjoyed and i will re-play this FM for sure.

Congratulation to Grayman, BRAVO! :-D

PS, and also the 1.08 it's so cool, a super step forward on this mod!

Just finished on expert, Grayman. That was really special, the soundscape was incredibly well realised and the layout and objectives were really organic while still retaining the non-linear design that all Thief fans love. An absolute must play!

Thank you so much for this incredible mission, sir!

I'm not finished yet, but the scenery is great. I love the textures.

I've been caught looking at walls when AI suddenly walk in the room and I have to scramble =o

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Haven't finished yet, but so far, I'm very impressed. My only criticism so far, is the same criticism I had of Heart of Lone Salvation - too many notes and keys! A keychain and/or a journal would go a long way to ease these concerns, and while off the top of my head I can think of a way to do a journal, it'd only make sense in a linear mission, or in a mission like this where the notes were added in a linear fashion and the individual pages removed. Bravo Grayman, will be reloading to finish this shortly, you've put out a monster.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

A keychain and/or a journal would go a long way to ease these concerns

TDM have a very comfortably "circle keys" and a "circle notes" key you can assign to. Do you use that? That's virtually a keyring and a kind of journal ;-)

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

I did a blind iron man LP of this FM, I'll probably have it encoded and up on youtube sometime tomorrow. This mission pwns.

good man, this will be interesting to watch, is there commentary..?

I few more noddles and it's time to give up...

guys are you running a "clean" and patched doom3 folder..?

good man, this will be interesting to watch, is there commentary..?

yes, its full of commentary but it's not a 100% constant stream of conciousness commentary, theres some good spurts of 30 seconds of silence thrown in here and there. I think the readables and my wild conjectures and analysis of whats going on in the mission is probably the most entertaining part.

Fantastic mission! :D

But I am stuck D:

I've explored most of the complex, except the door near the chapel (that goes to the crypts, I assume) which I don't know how to open. I need to find some evidence of Harckoff's doing to put on what's-his-name's bed. I think I found all the missing pages, but so far they're not very useful. I talked to the ghost already and I know the skull in the chapel is a fake.

Help? :P

Mild Hint:

Read Harckoff's list of things to do. One of them has a hint on how to proceed after you've talked to the ghost.

Bigger Hint:

There is a secret door in the chapel that leads to the crypts.

Excellent mission !

It has everything I enjoy most: a large mansion, crypts, a good story line, etc.

Typically I use to whack everybody on sight :blush: , but this time I felt like sort-of-ghosting (only 1 KO, but all candles dimished) and really enjoyed it :ph34r: !

Hmmm.... I just wonder who that

dead guys was, that can be seen in the outro movie

There are a few things that I noticed, though:

- the skeleton right at the beginning does not make any sound if you frob it. In other missions you could hear the bones rustling (in 1.07 at least)

- a few of the maids (that were lying on their beds) fell straight through the floor in case I made them wake up

- there is a female sword guard (not the one that guards the lady) patrolling on the second floor, I think

She does not talk at all. Even if she is about to punkture my belly.

I played on 1.08

Thanks for this lovely mission, grayman !

Is there actually supposed to be a ritual to pass by the haunt?

Finding the secret crypt entrance was a bit... obscure (i gave up and noclipped to see it, and once found it was easy to recognize the readable hint though).

Also this mission has the same problem in linux in my graphics card than st. lucia had: a wooden bed resource had wood edges that appeared painted blue. This is probably a bug in either the graphics card driver or the resources since it appears in both missions.

Edited by i30817

I just wonder who that dead guys was, that can be seen in the outro movie

Harckoff. You saw him in the briefing. Trumble tossed him off the tower after reading the journal you left on his bed.

- the skeleton right at the beginning does not make any sound if you frob it. In other missions you could hear the bones rustling (in 1.07 at least)

By design. Otherwise you'd hear the skeleton fall into place at mission start.

- a few of the maids (that were lying on their beds) fell straight through the floor in case I made them wake up

TDM bug.

- there is a female sword guard (not the one that guards the lady) patrolling on the second floor, I think

She does not talk at all. Even if she is about to puncture my belly.

By design. Lady Isabella's guards are mute, to keep them from greeting the staff and mumbling nonsense that would spoil the illusion that they're elite guards

Finding the secret crypt entrance was a bit... obscure (i gave up and noclipped to see it, and once found it was easy to recognize the readable hint though).

Granted, it's not easy to sus out, but there are two clues: one in a list of Harckoff's that's in his desk, and a second clue in Mary's notes about Harckoff going in and not coming out. That second clue (I thought) would have people poking around inside the chapel, looking for a secret door. The first clue should give people the solution.

And there's also a third clue that's mentioned several times in the Church History pages: there's a mechanism that controls access to the Catacombs.

I didn't read that middle note, but did the others. No ritual? The passage in the text was so evocative...

I very much liked your 'extra'. Nice bit of integration of objectives and player satisfaction.

I always thought that extra objectives, even in thief, sometimes needed some more 'omph' to them, this does it nicely.

Question: did you think of doing the same for the money you can steal from people who obviously need it in the mission?

What stopped you (or maybe i didn't see it, because i stole all the money!)

I think the darkmod has a sound problem with voice-overs sometimes. It was really hard to hear you-know-who even at max volume.

Edited by i30817

- I didn't read that middle note, but did the others. No ritual? The passage in the text was so evocative...

The ritual described in the Church History was for interring a brother when he passed. There's no ritual for getting into the catacombs. It's just a "hidden" mechanism that barbarians weren't expected to figure out.

- Question: did you think of doing the same for the money you can steal from people who obviously need it in the mission?

I did, but there's no mechanism for giving back loot, only special items like the Gold Bounty (which isn't really loot as far as TDM is concerned). It's out of character for Steele, and perhaps in retrospect there should have been no loot in the mission that belonged to the staff, but only to Harckoff or the guards. It does feel a bit mean, taking money from the poor, but we've been doing it for 10+ years, so I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

One of the beta testers, though, got so into the storyline, and felt so bad for Welton in the infirmary, that he left him a health potion on his bed on the way back to the tunnel. Now that is player involvement. :D

- I think the darkmod has a sound problem with voice-overs sometimes. It was really hard to hear you-know-who even at max volume.

Perhaps. You're the first person to report this problem. I recorded those lines 2 years ago, and have been listening to them all this time w/o a problem, and the beta testers didn't experience it.

How did the barks from the AI sound?

I didn't mean 'getting' in there, i meant not disturbing the dead.

There is a text that mentions a relgious guy that visits the catacomb but does not see any 'dead walking' because he 'knows' the appropriate rituals or something like that

I didn't mean actually giving back the money - just not stealing it, giving out another scene at the ending where both/one couples leave.

It's maybe the sound in my linux yeah. I've been using the alsa driver with that seta thing and maybe that interferes with the general sound volume of the pulseaudio defaults, idk.

I've noticed that the audio for walking/running in water is really aggressive for some time too, with the max volume i use for tdm, so it's all a bit strange.

Edited by i30817

One of the beta testers, though, got so into the storyline, and felt so bad for Welton in the infirmary, that he left him a health potion on his bed on the way back to the tunnel. Now that is player involvement.

Yeah, that was me. :) Felt bad that I stole his bag of money so I left him some compensation.

• Like 1

Also this mission has the same problem in linux in my graphics card than st. lucia had: a wooden bed resource had wood edges that appeared painted blue. This is probably a bug in either the graphics card driver or the resources since it appears in both missions.

Same problem here!

(my specs are on the sign)

• Like 1