The Dark Mod Forums

Standalone Progress

Springheel

It looks very-very close.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Looks much better than the original, love the deep, mysterious shadows.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Here's the next replacement. This is for the Head08 series. Again, not identical, but as close as I'm going to be able to get. Still need to do the longer hair, noble, and pagan versions. After that, I think I'm going to take a break for a while. Starting to feel a bit burnt out.

Thats a very good replacement indeed, it has more character and is a lot more realistic - brilliant work, I see this as a perfect face for a severe builder priest.

I hope more of the models get that attention. Something that always annoyed me about TDM and Doom 3 in general was how low poly the characters were. The new one looks fantastic, and more like that would make TDM seem a lot more lifelike.

Really? I think most of our AI have double the polys of a d3 model.

Always thought the TDM guards look great... much more human than the Doom guys, who don't even have fingers :). Also the textures on the TDM AIs are significantly better than those of the Doom 3 guys, who mostly have low-res lab uniforms.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Well, we must keep in mind Doom 3 was released in 2004, more than eight years ago. The graphics were pretty impressive back then. Our fortune is that the engine scales up well, and can accommodate improved assets.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well even so, the new head looks a lot more realistic, and you can't make out as much visible polys as some of the other TDM models. I was just using Doom 3 as an extreme example (which looks leagues better when you get the mod that improves the polycount and makes things less angular.)

Ahh, well it's replacing a D3 head that we recycled in this case anyway. Any of the heads that were made specifically for the Mod by oDDity, Springheel or anyone else are already high poly enough.

On that note, a question to the modelers like Springheel. I've heard that when you create a model, it is typically very high poly. Then you scale it down to run acceptably in game. So, my question is: Do you keep the original high-poly model around, and would it be possible to just plop it into the game in the distant future when hardware can handle more polys and the engine can too? I doubt it would be as simple as plopping a higher resolution texture over a low res one is.

The high poly model is usually not game-ready. Often high poly normalmaps are made in pieces and then combined to create the texture for the low poly model. And plenty of modifications are usually made to the low-poly model during the creation process.

Mmmm about the high-poly models problem.....is it possible to implement tessellation in ID4 tech?

Yes, we have the full source, so everything is possible. But you need to find someone who can do this, which is the harder part.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That would be where an object like a candle stick or cup has more triangles added to it the closer you get, making it rounder and rounder on the fly, rather than having visible sides? That sort of thing would be awesome to see.

Something like "its never truely circular, but we know a cup should be, so we just devide faces up more and more on the fly the closer you get to it."

Kick ass.

I have to try that lute animation out too. I want to use it. And it reminds me I have another lute skin I made. I was going to make another lute and got tangled up, but now I'm thinking I should just adapt the skin to the existing one. It's more ornate than that one.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Could that set be slightly more topical than random cries and shrieks? TDM's haunts could really use something like Thief's "Join usssss..... join usss nowww!"

(I know, easy to ask)