The Dark Mod Forums

Orbitroll - tiny browser game

Diego

Hi there,

I was at my parents house for a week and started to get a little bored. The computer there can't manage graphical software or games and I didn't have any of my unity projects to continue working there. So I started a new one! with the sole purpose of finishing it in a weekend :P

I kind of achieved my goal... by the end of the weekend it was playable. Horrible but playable. I did some polishing up when I got back home and I think it's starting to become interesting. If anyone wants to test play, go ahead and let me know what you think :)

PLAY ORBITROLL

Control the ship with wasd or arrow keys, by applying torque to rotate and thrust. The objective is usually to get the ship to the green area with the exception of levels 3 and 4, where you'll see a couple of jagged circles. In level 3 you're supposed to put the ship in orbit between these markers and in level 4 you're supposed to put the "satellite" (the cube attached to the ship) in orbit and then land the ship in the green area. Oh! release the satellite by pressing space bar!

The green bar is the fuel level, the small upper horizontal slider controls the time (so you can speed up or pause occasionally) and the small slider below zooms the camera.

Things to be added:

- Better GUI, that also shows the objectives and other information.

- Losing conditions

- Score system

- tutorial

- better visuals and sound (level 2 is almost looking decent)

Edited by Diego

Man, this is actually quite hard! I finished the first three levels by crashing my ship into the target area. You might want to replace the "proxima missao" message with the English one. Apart from that, this is actually a nice little game. ^^ Just don't know what to do in level 4.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Thanks for trying it :D seeing my brother get frustrated is part of the reason for the chosen name.

Its simplicity is quite deceptive because it's basically 2d orbital dynamics, so it's not so intuitive... in most cases you can't just aim and shoot.

Level 4 is the one with the cube attached to the ship? If so, get the ship into orbit and carefully detach the satellite (space bar) then land the ship (without disturbing the satellites orbit)

level 4 is where you have to get the rocket in orbit, the one with the satelite is level 5 imo

I just played and yeah, it's hard but I managed to make it through all the levels in 10-15 minutes so keep on trying 7upMan

@Diego: this is really the kind of game "simple idea, but highly addicting" :D or better said the kind of game big gamestudios aren't able to produce ;)

but seriously, I would really like to see more missions in this, as it's really really cool stuff

I think the gui is good so far, just a few more informations would make life a bit easier

what would be really good is if it were possible to control the burst amount on accallerating turning, as it is a bit fuzzy right now (don't know if it's the right word) and makes it more complicated than neccesary :unsure:

you may wan't to use space pictures for background and maybe for the planets/moons, too, but that's only eye-candy :D

so all in all, keep on going

btw: what language is this, spanish/portugese? what does proxima mean? next or accomplished? sounds a bit like latin ^_^

Edited by Obsttorte

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks for the kind words! I wasn't sure if anyone actually enjoyed this game so far... all my friends were like "yeaah.. it's.. er.. interesting.. DAMN IT! I CAN'T GET IT TO.. WRAAH!"

I was thinking about implementing a switch for "fine adjustments" where wasd or arrows would apply a very small thrust in all directions (good to align with things in orbit or just to fine tune the orbit itself). But you meant the torque for turning? I feel it's a bit too weak as it is but when I increase the torque it feels difficult to get the ship to stop spinning. I'll experiment with other values.

Próximo means next. It's brazilian portuguese :) I'll make it all english eventually.

well, as it's the only button you can press, translation may not be needed here :P

LET'S PLAY ORBITROLL

http://www.mediafire.com/?qz4ovua21o7j3uv

quality is relatively low due to my limited load amount, but at least one can see it's possible :P

hahah At least I can say Orbitrolll has a 'Let's play' made!

Haha cool! How did you achieve this cool collision system? It's awesome when the ship crashes, haha!

It's Nvidia's PhysX, Unity's standard physics engine :D I hope it gets better with sound

• 2 months later...