The Dark Mod Forums

Mod Monsters

Springheel

It was just the face I was commenting about before. The looks very cool and a good mix of human and beast now. :)

He does look like he should have a tail though....maybe like a hairless dog.

Ok, I think the model is pretty much done now. This may well be one of my best texture works so far. Since I'm using Unity to test the model, with a couple of clicks more I could make a model viewer, so there you go:

http://dl.dropbox.co.../WebPlayer.html

Left and righ (or a and d) to rotate the model.

If no one cares about viewing the model there, here's a couple of pics:

35612030894-orig.jpg

35612040940-orig.jpg

• Like 1

There are several things bothering me too, the forearms, the hair/skin transitions etc. But I have to call it done some time, or else I would just keep working until 1) it's perfect or 2) I lose my motivation. And the second alternative is much more likely :P

edit: however, I think it deserves at least color on his ear tips! doh

Edited by Diego

Very creepy and unique-looking. :)

One small issue might be to make sure he has claws on his hands as those are what he uses to attack the player, even on all fours.

Easier to fix before he's rigged ;) but it's your call

You have a point.

One small issue might be to make sure he has claws on his hands as those are what he uses to attack the player, even on all fours.

You have another point.

ok. I won't start rigging right away, instead I'll let it breathe for a couple of days (wine analogy, get it?) and gather more opinions and ideas before tweaking the model.

Well, I'll try and give complete feedback if you are thinking of doing more work...

What I like most. he isn't a typical 'werewolf', aka just a large wolf. He got some very human features which make him look grotesque, he looks like a deformed human that is very wolf like. When a werewolf transforms in a movie they always go too far and it just becomes a wolf. This is much creepier/scary imo.

Plus, it's cool to have our own werebeast creature, recognizable yet unique to TDM. that also takes out the glamour of being a werewolf, who would want to become a hideous beast, that makes it a real curse.

I think the head, neck, upper body arms and forearms are excellent. It's not that the fur is bad, it's just really flat. I think the only way around that is to add hair planes so he has tufts of hair that stand out from his silhouette. Should be easy enough to just do some zbrush hair on a plane, add alpha and clone planes around his body where needed (basically a small separate cloned mesh). Our original were beast had that going on pretty good.

The pic someone posted above had that look too.

------

What i feel could improve.

Feet like i said, just seem small. they could have big claws too really. Stretch em, extrude claws. Should be pretty easy.

Thighs imo could be beefier, would help taper down the super muscular torso. Some larger quad muscles around the knees and some beefy hamstrings. lower legs are great. (lower two sections)

Hands. Yep claws, maybe swell up the knuckles too, maybe hands overall larger. Wouldn't hurt to exaggerate it a bit. Main reason is he is lightning fast, it's hard to see details on him, so somewhat exaggerated hands would help that.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

As for the point to not make him look to wolfish (is this a word :huh: ), I wouldn't say that he needs claws, but maybe just some long nails or so.

The feets are large enough IMO, but you could slightly increase the amount of muscles on his upper legs.

The skin is too dark. In low light conditions you won't be able to make out any details.

Doesn't this make him even more scary?

As he is a man transformed into a beast it seems a bit strange to me that he has lots of hair over his body but no hair left on his head. (Or was he bald before ^_^ )

As for his eyes: It would be a cool feature if his eyes would glow a bit in the dark and/or reflect light. I just imagine the player going around a corner in a very dark area and then he suddenly make out two yellow points just a few steps before him, starring at him while deep breathing can be heard.

However, I'm no modeller, so I can't tell how complicated it would be to make such an effect. I agree to what you've previously said: It's better to get it finished instead of trying to make it perfect and never get it done. ^_^

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It would be a cool feature if his eyes would glow a bit in the dark and/or reflect light.

That's quite easy to do with textures. Texture things are the easiest of all to do, and really don't need to be analyzed too heavily at this stage. Lightening a texture or adding a self-lit stage to the eyes would take less than ten minutes.

I agree to what you've previously said: It's better to get it finished instead of trying to make it perfect and never get it done.

+1

There is a tremendous amount of animating work to do in this project...getting bogged down in details about the mesh or textures is bound to drain the motivation needed to get through that work.

That's quite easy to do with textures. Texture things are the easiest of all to do, and really don't need to be analyzed too heavily at this stage. Lightening a texture or adding a self-lit stage to the eyes would take less than ten minutes.

Amazed to hear that. I think yellow is a good choice for the color of the eyes, as it would look relatively natural (instead of red, blue or pink ...hmmm....)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yes, very impressive indeed! Suggestions I agree with are the alpha hair, more powerful hands and feet, aswell as heavier legs. But these things are based on personal taste, so keep up the good work either way.

I think it's starting to look good but I'll have to second the requests for bigger hands, feet and alpha planes for the hair. I do have some critique of my own as well:

1. I think his crotch/pelvis needs to be reworked a bit (here's a good reference), as the legs shouldn't just join together like that. It might already be fixed but it's something that bothered me a bit on the older pics, and it's hard to tell from the angles of the new pics (I'm on a crappy lappy so I can't check the interactive display).

2. His knees look weak, so make them a bit thicker.

3. His face looks more pitiful than ferocious/scary, try changing the eyes/brows a bit to fix this. He also need more defined and colored lips, as well as a colored inside of the mouth.

4. The texture needs more color variation and contrast. Here's a werewolf with an IMO better color-scheme.

5. Fur is hard to texture (I've tried and failed multiple times), but try to make some bigger clumps of fur as that will probably look better. Here's a tutorial for making big hair styles, some of that should carry over to fur as well.

6. Skin isn't all that easy to texture either. I've found that using a cavity map (basically an AO map that picks up smaller details, if you use xNormal you can easily generate one) you can often get pretty good results. All you need to do to get started is turn down or off AO for the skin-parts, blur your cavity map (not too much) tint it a bit red (to simulate a bit SSS) (it is important that the cavity and base texture doesn't have the exact same color with only brightness changes) and overlay that on your texture. Then you should also paint in some (subtle) color changes on elbows, knees, knuckles and such. I've only textured some human characters with caucasian skin but it should translate over to darker skins too.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh, I just want this model to live up to it's full potential.

I'm storing all the feedback, keep them coming.

Although I can make tiny tweaks to the eyebrow without protest, the eyebrows and the whole facial expression are intentional. For me, evil eyebrows look cheap and silly, I really prefer a more natural and neutral look, one that would look at home in a wild animal. People fear bears for what we know they can do and they even have a cute face.

I like the face, just rigging the eyebrows with one bone (probably both on one bone, weighted more towards the center - or one each, still more weight at center) so they can squeeze down during anims could give him a much more fierce look when he is attacking. But I think it looks good now for a relaxed pose.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

If that thing were running after me in game, it'd be terrifying. So it has that going for it.

Agreed the groin, thighs, knees & feet could use a bit of touch up. Seems disproportionate to his well-built upper body. It's okay to be a bit smaller since it's animalistic, but not too much IMO. It's not the biggest thing though.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...