The Dark Mod Forums

Convert Doom3 Map To Darkmod Map.

Demigod

Can I start a map in doom3 now and convert it to be dark mod compatible when you release the dark mod? I realize this would be easier if I just make geometry only, rope arrow targets etc cant be done for example until dark is done (though I assume this will be someway texture based?) but can you envision any big hiccup if I or others try this?

My "biffords" remake has restarted after a crash that nuked my maps directory, I realy should make more backups :(

Great, I working on some of my own testures too, So I can a tleast get away from the steal until the Darkmod is released. Im also glad to hear about the skybox (from the hexen mod) as I have given up on them atm :) I tell you modding for morrowind is a damn sight easier

Basically a TDM map IS a D3 map with some extensions. "Converting" a map to TDM is therefore not an issue, because you would the the same as if you had already the tools, but you are stuck at a certain point until we develop that stuff so that you can continue with the work. Which means. You can create the entire level layout already and texture it, put lights in and so on. What you can not do at this point is to populate it with AI, or build objectives and other things that we have to provide. Still if you are starting on level desgin now it will take you time anyway, but this is not lost because as soon as we are ready to release the first build, you can continue on your map.

I sent you a PM with a proposal about that.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

I've converted T2 maps into doom, and the scale is almost perfect, without having to change anything. They do seem just the slightest bit too big maybe, or more likely the doom player view is shorter.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Doomguy is shorter? :huh:

I always figured him a 6'+ foot guy who stands tall most of the time, whereas Garrett seems more like a 5'8" guy who spends more of his time hunched over trying to reduce his height for stealth reasons.

But it may be that the cam is in Doomguy's chest like you say :unsure:

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Well, we're not making Garrett of course, but I envisage our thief as someone who is not a bodybuilder action hero in terms of physique, but still strong enough; fit, but not overly muscly.

Also his skin would be really pallid after all those night missions. And his hair most likely fairly greasy.

I'm not just basing this description on myself, btw. :lol:

I've converted T2 maps into doom, and the scale is almost perfect"

So I a novice ask you the master what steps are taken to convert T2 Maps to doom3 maps.

sorry for my blatant ignorant's but my only experience is DROMED thief 2 and i never yet to finish or publish a completed level yet... I hope to with this project...

Well, when I say converted, what I actually did was convert a T2 level to a t3d file, import that to unrealEd, save it out as an .obj file, convert that to a lightwave object and then import that to doom as a static mesh, so basically it's just a gigantic static mesh of the Thief level.

I haven't access to all the T2 meshes and models that made up the rest, though that could easily be arraged I'm sure. It'd be pretty poinltless using those extremely low poly objects anyway.

Also you have to texture it yourself as well, and then add all the AI paths and objectives etc.

Converting the brushes is just the first small step, but it's te beginning of a technique that could be used to make exact clones of Thief levels in Doom, if anyone wanted to do it for their own personal use)

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 2 weeks later...
Will the character dimensions or viewpoint positioning be different? I found the perspective in D3 to 'feel' kind of short when walking around, if that makes sense.

This thread kind of went elsewhere, but I didn't want this issue to just drift off. I was looking at some of the screens on the site, and the 'low down' feeling struck me again the same as when playing Doom. Perhaps it's just my perception, but if not then it should be fairly easy to reposition the camera a little higher, where the eyes are.

E