The Dark Mod Forums

Metro 2033

Baal

Metro 2033 is an FPS set, mostly underground, in Moscow after its destruction by a nuclear war. The surface is frozen and irradiated, the tunnels inhabited by mutants and the old metro stations serve as shelter for the survivors of the war. You are one of them, named Artyom, who leaves his home station to fight against a new, more dangerous and intelligent species of mutants.

The game is very linear with a lot of scripted sequences so don't expect something like Stalker or Fallout. But the post apocalyptic setting is conveyed perfectly through graphics, sound and gameplay.

Apart from shooting things you have to look for ammunition and other rare supplies (mostly on dead bodies) and you sometimes have to sneak around in order to survive (it's optional but the enemy can kill you with a few hits).

It looks great and I really like the interface. You have to do a lot of things manually, like recharging your battery with a charger, putting on the gasmask and nightvision goggles or raising your wristwatch to check the remaining airsupply. Details likes this really immerse you into the world.

So I would recommend this game to anyone who is interested in shooters with the focus on story and atmosphere. It's actually part of the current humble bundle in case anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Yup, I bought Metro for 2.5e on steam and finished it a few days ago. Great game, I find it strange I had not heard about it at all before the steam sales: how could such a gem get by? Definately a worthy purchase if you see it on discount.

Good looking, nice story, good gameplay, stealth elements, extremely immersing, good atmosphere. I actually liked this more than Fallout and Stalker, both of which suffer from boring down time wandering around. Metro may be linear, but it is a solid and compact bundle of interesting locations and events. I never got bored as the game always threw somethinh fresh and new at me.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I don't played this game so far, although I heard of it as it came out. But I have the two books 'Metro 2033' and 'Metro 2034' by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

Especially the first one is very immersive and full of tension. Also the end is very good written and very surprising. I don't know how close they stick to the story in the game (Artjom is also the main character in the first book), but they are really worth reading.

Btw.: they're also some books on Stalker, that were written after the game came out (the Metro books came before the game). Although they're not as good as the Metro books they are also worth having a look at.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

But I have the two books 'Metro 2033' and 'Metro 2034' by Dmitry Glukhovsky.

I don't know how close they stick to the story in the game

I did not read them (maybe I should). The game ends with

a missile strike against the Dark Ones and Artyom on top of the tower where he had to fight them off in halucinations.

I just found out the there are actually two endings depending on decisions made through the game. But I didn't even realize this and have no idea when and what these where. I have to try that again.

I just found out the there are actually two endings depending on decisions made through the game. But I didn't even realize this and have no idea when and what these where. I have to try that again.

I played through first the

nice guy scenario. It felt it was the decent thing to do as there was a lot of evidence the dark ones helping the Artyom, in the catacomb stone door anomaly, for example. Also Khans comments about war breeding war influenced my decision. After saving the dark ones, I then reloaded a save to see the missile attack scenario.

Essentially, the player gets to choose between two different ending cutscenes. I wish there was just a brief gameplay set to make the player feel more concretely of the consequences of his actions. I wish there was some more critical decisions to make along the plot that would affect the playable stuff, like in DXHR:ML.

But even with this limitation, Metro is a great game.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I did not read them (maybe I should). The game ends with

a missile strike against the Dark Ones and Artyom on top of the tower where he had to fight them off in halucinations.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with

fight them off in halucinations

^_^

but yeah, read the book :D

btw.: in the book there is only one ending :P

Edited by Obsttorte

So I would recommend this game to anyone who is interested in shooters with the focus on story and atmosphere. It's actually part of the current humble bundle in case anyone is interested.

From the Humble bundle site:

"Please note: the Humble THQ Bundle is Windows-only and requires Steam to play."

:-( :-( :-(

It's a pity: i'd like to try this Metro (it looks very interesting), but if it's Windows only...

• 1 year later...

I bought the game quite a while ago and must admit that I don't understand what's so good about it. The gameplay is relatively boring and extremely linear, and in the german version everyone is talking with a pseudo-russian dialect. Especially the latter caused me to not finish the game. I've played a couple of hours, but was bored almost all the time.

This game does not nearly submit the mood of the books. What a disappointment :(

I bought the game quite a while ago and must admit that I don't understand what's so good about it.

For once I agree with you :). While the spooky atmosphere is very good at times and the apocalyptic feeling too, typical Russian ;), the game is getting boring quickly, especially after another fight-off-the-mutants-until-a-door-opens mission. Also there was a big mission which I suppose was to be handled with stealth, but the nightvision goggles I found there didn't work for me and even after I shot all the lights out with a silenced pistol, the enemies seemed to see me anyway and killed me several times, until I just rushed them and forgot all about stealth...

Edited by wesp5

Yeah, they worked for about a few seconds only. Maybe I needed to charge them somewhere but I didn't figure out how.

Yes, with the flashlight (universal) charger!

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Possibly similar to your lamp. There was some sort of pump (I'm lacking a better word) which was used for that. ninja'd

As we are talking about well-rated games that were very dissapointing to me, I would add the following to the list (the recent I've just bought a week ago or so, but it is completely terrible):

• Half Life 2
  • Spec-Ops: The Line

I bought the game quite a while ago and must admit that I don't understand what's so good about it.

'cause like Crysis / Crysis 2 / Half Life 2 it's the summa of a *very linear but well crafted* FPS :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I guess I've become to old for this genre. Looking forward for Alien:Isolation, though. I hope it will be good. Otherwise I'm forced to create something like this in TDM :(

I guess I've become to old for this genre. Looking forward for Alien:Isolation, though. I hope it will be good. Otherwise I'm forced to create something like this in TDM :(

I'm way older than you (in age terms :D), but I still like a well scripted narrative IF it's supposed to be scripted (not an open world/sandbox game).

Edited by lowenz

Open World games are the other extreme, which I consider boring, too. I mean, when I first played them (gta, elder scrolls), it was cool, but sooner or later I realized that for me the negative parts of that concept outweight the positives.

Personally I prefer a mixture. It should be spot on enough to tell a good story and provide a clearly visible red line which you are following, but should give you the possibility to handle things in different ways. Both the Thief games and Deus Ex are good examples for this (and quiet similar from its core mechanics), and therefore my personal favourites.

The only open wrold-like games I like are simulations, like Euro Truck Simulator 2. It's actually pretty boring, but I played it for more then 200 hours by now. And it is modable, and has a lots of them. One can say what they want, but making a game modable or at least providing a level editor is the best way to make a game right. Deus Ex 1 had a level editor, too. And there are plenty of mods out there. I wonder when the big studios will understand that.

• Like 1

IMHO, boring (=no real freedom) parts of linear/story-driven FPS:

*QTE for melee combat: I *really* hate this, since the first appearance on PC :D

*looooooong cut-scene-like sequences where you aren't in control

*bullet sponge bosses with no tricks/alternate strategies to take them down

And it's why I still prefer Metro 2033 to the technically superior Metro Last Light :P

Edited by lowenz

As we are talking about well-rated games that were very dissapointing to me, I would add the following to the list (the recent I've just bought a week ago or so, but it is completely terrible):

• Half Life 2
  • Spec-Ops: The Line

I never played the second game, but I also think HL2 was completely overrated. I have nothing against good linear FPSs and the physics were great, but the story and the gameplay elements? HL1 played out from a normal day where everything went wrong, in HL2 we had a big war in the past we never learn much about and it's the usual resistance setting I can't see anymore. As for the enemies, HL1 had a lot of very creative lifeforms all over, HL2 had three kinds of headcrabs, three kinds of zombies, three kind of combines. Only the striders and gunships were hardly imaginative. What a letdown compared to the expectations I had after playing HL1!

As for the sandbox vs linear game discussion, I think Bloodlines has got it perfectly right. You open up hubs in which you can play main and side quests in whatever order you like, but the quests themselves while offering many options on how to tackle them are more linear to get the atmosphere and story right.

Edited by wesp5

Open World games are the other extreme, which I consider boring, too. I mean, when I first played them (gta, elder scrolls), it was cool, but sooner or later I realized that for me the negative parts of that concept outweight the positives.

I wouldn't know why open world games like GTA or Risen wouldn't work? GTA is proven to work by millions of gamers world wide, and it sells like hot cakes. :P The same with Elder Scrolls, although i could accept criticism there, because most of the Elder Scrolls games are a bit generic, and the world doesn't necessarily invite to explore. But the Gothic and Risen games do that quite well for example. Of course, you sometimes have the problem that you solve quests before you spoke to the people giving you the quest, but in most cases, the ways you go are thought out, and expected by the game developers. In fact, it's pretty amazing how well these games work considering you can go virtually everyhwere in the game world. Especially when i imagine how much of a work has gone into testing.

The problem is that they make those games bigger and bigger. This leads to more and more generic design. While you had quite some individualism in the areas in Morrowind for example, in Skyrim almost all dungeons and caves look the same, and you always did the same there.

It also often feels like aimlessly running around, andis odd story-wise. I mean in rpg's you have mostly this big dangerous evil which threatens the world, but it does not make a diference if you waste your time on killing spiders in mines or bringing something from one place to the odder. That's pretty odd.

I know there are a lot of gamers who enjoy it wandering around and explore what they may find, I nly enjoy this to a certain degree. It's just my personal opinion, and I am not against such games. If there are people who like them, why not. But if all they plan with those games is to make them more bigger and generic, I guess even hardcore fans of such games will sooner or later get bored.

More of the same is not more at all ;)

I don't like Skyrim either. The so called freedom boils down to just the choice of where to go and how to kill things there. Fallout 3 has the same problem. Fallout New Vegas on the other hand is more quest and story focused. I can only recommend it.

To get back on topic: on what difficulty did you play Metro? I believe people who find shooters boring just have to choose one or two levels higher. Maybe a little asskicking will fix the boredom. ;)

I liked Metros story but I haven't read the books yet and could play it without any expectations.