• Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay Quality

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

My opinion is that I may not need the extra time to finish my map but that I could make good use of it to make it a bit nicer to the eye. So I'm neither pro nor con. I would suggest to wait until the end of february or so and than see how progress is going. If an extension is than still needed by several mappers we can than discuss how long they may need.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Sounds like we're all on the same side :smile:

Wohoo. Actually I will need until the deadline to make my contest entry. Well, at least I hope to be ready until then (real life stuff, you know). But I guess once I've finished the contest map and the sequel of Old Habits I will concentrate on making small maps as it's quite more rewarding.

It looks like I wont be providing an entry for this contest. Due to storyline reasons the masked ball has now been changed to a museum. As a result it will feature no unusual gameplay.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@ Sir Taffsalot: -_-

@ Theothesnopp: The more the merrier :smile:

I hadn't thought about entering, still not sure whether or not I will. But I've been making pretty good progress on my map and haven't decided on storyline yet. If it's close enough by the time the deadline runs around I might have to gear the gameplay towards the contest. guess i'll see how close i am and what the final deadline is looking like before I decide, but i am pretty committed to releasing this one, been too long, I have an urge to do at least one more mission and a decent TDM one at that.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

This is nice to hear. Actualy I'm quite sure that the deadline will be delayed a bit.

Little update:

Basic brushwork is almost done. I have to add two more areas what I hope to accomplish within two weeks. After that I'll go adding models, AI, pathways and so one. I guess I save detailing it out for the end, as I don't know how performance will be after I've added a bunch of things. Add the current state it runs smooth in all areas, but that's not really surprising as there is not much in there :smile:

Mission size (in terms of volume) will be roughly two times of what Old Habits was like, so I hope people will spend a long time playing it. ^_^

• Like 3

I'll provide an update as well.

After the cave addition (quick cave recipe thread) I'm not gonna add areas anymore.

I've been detailing the map, adding grime and stuff. Maybe 50% of the map has already been furnished and detailed.

After that, it is entitywork: AIs, paths, objectives. I have some voice acting I'll try to do myself. Progress will probably slow down due to building the 'unusual' mission stuff. Learning new stuff and making non-standard stuff is always slow. Mapping time I am allowed to use is something like 30min-1h per day, so it is likely I'll fail to reach the initial deadline.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have a single rectangular room :)

(and 300+ lines of script code) :ph34r:

Yikes 8O

Well, I know (if I do enter) that I have no chance of winning based on that kind of unusual gameplay. Most likely I'll just gear it more towards assassination. (300 rooms and 1 line of script code maybe :D )

Just wondering if this was an insult :o

If I'm going to make it look like your maps (in terms of good) I will be finished in two years or so.

Can I just throw an idea in the air? I'm no mapper but maybe someone likes it.

A mission to put items back where they belong, maybe before people notice they weren't there. Why? jeez, I don't know, your thief pupil robbed the wrong guy and you have to fix the situation before anyone notices it. I just like idea of doing the opposite of what we always do in TDM/thief. And it's unusual :)

A mission to put items back where they belong, maybe before people notice they weren't there. Why? jeez, I don't know, your thief pupil robbed the wrong guy and you have to fix the situation before anyone notices it. I just like idea of doing the opposite of what we always do in TDM/thief. And it's unusual :)

Having Regrets : Thief II Total Crap Contest mission by Schwaa (aka ME :D )

http://thief.nov.ru/...arent=iEA91E857

I thought the total crappiest idea for a mission was to have to return all your stolen goods. I lost :( (I even built the map in the shape of my name, lol)

(moar contest info)

results

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111310&highlight=crap+contest

Well, I can't find the original thread but the beauty of Dromed (in this respect) was that it was a subtractive engine. Even with sloppy work you couldn't get a leak. So sloppy un snapped brushes and general bad practices was the point of the contest. On top of annoying game play and whatnot.

As bad of an idea as it is, you can't believe how hard it is to break good habits after you've mapped for awhile. To not texture align, not snap brushes, etc...

I thought some of the Total Crap contest FMs were actually pretty inspired.

It'd be worth people interested in this contest to take a look at them.

I think the origin of that contest was Sluggs' Crap FM series.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I remember a map from a total crap contest in whicg a guard came out of a door and started to pee on a flower. It made me laugh so hard, I just had to put this in my first TDM map xD

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

This sounds like a good idea for a Xmas FM.

You play the part of Santa and its Christmas in Bridgeport. Unfortunately a large thief with a beard in a bright red thief outfit has been terrorising the city with break ins recently so the guards are looking for someone with your appearance. Deliver the presents without getting caught.

You have to enter all the buildings via the chimney so you have to traverse the Thieves Highway.

• Like 1

The Joker

No hope in completing my beast of a level in time...I'll just surf on the "time push" I get with these competitions which mean at least I make progress :) I'll be bold and say it'll be worth the time it takes :) It's the mission I started three years ago so be ready for my version of Springheels A Score :)

I'd prefer it if you take your time and create something special instead of rush it and create something not quite as good. Although saying that your probably the master of unusual gameplay when it comes to TDM. This contest probably has your name written all over it.

The Joker