The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Builder Roads by Obsttorte (2013/01/19)

Obsttorte

Evaluation  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Aesthetics

3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Great Mission From What I have Played so far, Really good game play...

Thanks. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 5 months later...

This was very funny to watch. Thanks a lot for taking the time making this.

It is also funny to see that you've stumbled over almost any glitch in that mission :)

However, as you've already played this mission here are some things that you might find interesting.

• The place you are starting at is the tavern. The brown building at the opposite side is the barrack and the last building is the chapel.

• In the first room after the one you started in, there is a note containing an information about a jewel payment, but the drawer this was in only contained gold loot. You've noticed this, but what you didn't noted was that the jewels are hidden in that room, too.
  • The little room on the outside, where you created a mess with all those crates and planks and so one contains a can with two water arrows in it. You've looked at it at least three times, but didn't noted that.
  • The room with the two bookshelves contains a book with an important clue. As you've walked by those shelf, the book was highlighted shortly, the same as you walked by the second time. In both cases you didn't noticed that.
  • Throwing flashbombs at ai does not count as get seen, so you can use it.
  • The little window at the tavern base floor is openable.

One additional notes.

The outside contains lot of shadows, but for any reason you've always tried to hide below a torch or similar. I guess I don't have to tell you why this does not work well. ;)

I was pretty surprised that you don'T gave up, as you had to reload really often. If you play it again try it on the highest setting, the officer carris a torch than. :D

• Like 1

This was very funny to watch. Thanks a lot for taking the time making this.

It is also funny to see that you've stumbled over almost any glitch in that mission :)

However, as you've already played this mission here are some things that you might find interesting.

• The place you are starting at is the tavern. The brown building at the opposite side is the barrack and the last building is the chapel.

• In the first room after the one you started in, there is a note containing an information about a jewel payment, but the drawer this was in only contained gold loot. You've noticed this, but what you didn't noted was that the jewels are hidden in that room, too.
  • The little room on the outside, where you created a mess with all those crates and planks and so one contains a can with two water arrows in it. You've looked at it at least three times, but didn't noted that.
  • The room with the two bookshelves contains a book with an important clue. As you've walked by those shelf, the book was highlighted shortly, the same as you walked by the second time. In both cases you didn't noticed that.
  • Throwing flashbombs at ai does not count as get seen, so you can use it.
  • The little window at the tavern base floor is openable.

One additional notes.

The outside contains lot of shadows, but for any reason you've always tried to hide below a torch or similar. I guess I don't have to tell you why this does not work well. ;)

I was pretty surprised that you don'T gave up, as you had to reload really often. If you play it again try it on the highest setting, the officer carris a torch than. :D

Lol I will definitely replay it. And yeah, I'm not as observant as most players as I'm pretty new to TDM, although I played the old old first Thief game when I was little. I'm glad you were entertained by the video though, that's what I was going for :laugh:

Just started playing the dark mod... Awsome game. This level is realy great btw. I don't know if it is known (did not read al the posts) but the code does not work for me...

Also I had a funny glitch: a guard followed me in the elevator and closed the (metal) door on his way out so I got stuck inside without any possible way of getting out.

I didn't read the answers to this thread yet and I didn't test this mission either... I only skipped through a youtube let's play*. From what I've seen I have to say I find the aesthetics ratings here still very underestimating. From the around 10 missions I played/watched so far that has to be the one with the feel closest to Thief, only with superb graphics. It is especially not too bright and all in all the atmosphere fits perfectly. I'm eager to play this mission when my bachelor thesis is done.

*the one four posts above mine. :)

Edited by Nico A.

Just started playing the dark mod... Awsome game. This level is realy great btw. I don't know if it is known (did not read al the posts) but the code does not work for me.

Yep, that's a known issue. The behaviour of the code machine is not hard-coded, it has to be scripted. This caused some problems here. I will fix that sooner or later.

Also I had a funny glitch: a guard followed me in the elevator and closed the (metal) door on his way out so I got stuck inside without any possible way of getting out.

Oops. Sorry.

I find the aesthetics ratings here still very underestimating.

Well, I think this is something very subjective. From the aesthetics point of view I guess my latest mission is the best. And there are plenty of other mappers here who can do this eye-candy stuff much better then me. I'm more the mechanics guy :)

I'm eager to play this mission when my bachelor thesis is done.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoyable mission. I especially liked the Shadow difficulty (actually I didn't play on anything else) which was a decent challenge. There were a few problems though. For example, the officer with the torch can see you through the doors which results in an instant failure. Also, despite it not being a good place to "hide" him I question the whole idea of having him hidden in the first place. It makes it so idiots like me who somehow managed to miss the priest's diary despite frobbing every single object on the desk just get completely stuck even though I had already concluded that the book was kept on a lower level which you could access by the elevator which required two keys, one of which I already had. Making it scripted so that you force the players to progress in a certain sequence is to me not a good idea. But after he "spawned" getting his key was quite a fun challenge, seeing as I had no more water arrows. You might also want to place the book in the Orderly Room or whatever in a more prominent place as I happened to miss that as well. Perhaps I am just being retarded today but I usually don't miss these things (and I inspect every single bookcase I come across in TDM so it is especially weird). I dunno, getting the book isn't really a challenge so I don't see why it should be even slightly hidden.

Anyway, excellent mission.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this mission on Shadow.

I must say, I'm very impressed that you made this in two weeks.

It's a very enjoyable mission overall, and insanely hard on the Shadow difficulty because of the lack of water arrows.

The toughest part for me, was getting all the lot in the bar where the guards were playing cards. But I did had fun doing it for the most part.

The premise of the mission is very cool and different, as is doing it without a blackjack and a sword.

I liked the readables too. No complaints here.

I did have some problems though.

The first time I played, my quicksave corrupted and I had to start over. No big deal, since the mission is tiny.

But the major problem for me, was opening the room with the tome. I knew the code, but it wasn't working so I came here to read the comments.

Even after multiple tries using the correct code I was unable to open the door.

So I decided to load back a save game that I luckily had prior to getting the key from the guard and some loot, and I tried again from that point.

I put the numbers slowly, and fortunately it worked!

Although it was frustrating for me, the idea to opening the door with a code is very good, and the mechanism very intricate.

Thanks Obsttorte!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 1 month later...

Great small mission. Really gives a lot to the less is more approach.

The necessity to read and figure it out is what made this mission for me. Very Thief like in the unfolding of the plot through readables.

Also loved that had no blackjack or sword. Forces the player to play a different way. As suggested in the notes, this mission was designed with ghosting as method of play. Not my preferred/favorite style of play, but works out great on a map like this.

The code machine is great. Glad to see something new with puzzles, this was my first exposure to a code machine. Also, thanks for putting the Roman Numeral guide in the back of the book. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Obstorte,

this was a perfect mission for me. Needed a couple of reloads,

and I cased the guard with the lamp for ages until I realized he's the one with the key

but it was otherwise perfect game. Well done.

I loved the 3 bottles hidden behind the crates!

Just one question: On top of the treasure vault tower is a ladder leading up to trapdoor, which seems to be fake. Is it? If so, that's the only weak spot in the map for me. Would have loved to get on spy-position to check out guard routes from there.

Yeah, it is just for artistical purpose. This way the map seems larger then it is ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks Obstorte for the nice missions. In Shadow it's amazing, difficult enough to make you think every single move and how to deal with guards. My only complain is that also for me the code didn't work! I searched the entire map twice before searching in the forum.

System76 Gazelle professional with Intel® Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 8GB ram and Intel HD Graphics 4000

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp8

Thanks. Glad you enhoyed it.

In Shadow it's amazing, difficult enough to make you think every single move and how to deal with guards.

That was actually the idea. If you have played a couple of FM's and maybe the original games, too, most FM's are way too easy imho. So I wanted to create a mission that is really challenging. Although there are some people who do not like this :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

On the highest difficulty setting you are not allowed to be heard. This means, if you alert a guard that much that it starts searching for you, the mission is failed. ;)

Putting out a guard's torch will make him suspicious whether he heard it or not.

"Hearing" was meant literally. I meant that the ai is sure that there may have been somewhere and starts searching, which corresponds to alert state 3. The video implies that either the ai itself was hit be the arrow, or that it responses to stim_water.

However, it has nothing to do with hearing, as a water arrow impact does not create much noise anyway.

Sorry for the unclear formulation, but an objective stating "Don't let any ai reach alert state 3" may would have appeared cumbersome ;)

• 1 month later...

Really enjoyable mission, gameplay as Shadow was bloody hard, even moreso if you intend to get all the loot. I found I couldn't ghost this, which

made it really fun and tense.

The hardest part I found was in the tavern, trying to get the key, purse, and coins on the table without being seen, damn near

impossible, and I couldn't do it, but really enjoyed trying. lol Also I really enjoyed how you used the readables to lead

to clues. Took me 3 goes to work the last bit out lol

Really fun mission, definitely recommend it.

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 1 year later...

How do I find out what the

code

is?? I've read through the forums and I've found the answer to what the

code

actually is, but I want to know where I find the clue that points to that

actual code number. Ive found the book of Katar, the two keys, already went down elevator

. I have been in every room, found all the keys necessary. I've no idea where to look for the clue that points to figuring out

the code number.

Edited by llanita

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png