The Dark Mod Forums

Dark news for thief 4..

Bikerdude

i thought they were playing as a mage with the floating hands ready to cast a spell, the guards remind of a splinter cell game, think it was the second one where all the guards face away from the player to show the route past them. It looks as if they looked at TDS but not at thief gold and the metal ages, and picked up on all the bad things about TDS and added them to this one. the demo was being played on the ps4, maybe it can't handle certain texture effects.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty awful, apparently players are so dumb that when a guard says "Hey, what happened to that torch!", turns to go see what happens, they have to be told that he's "suspicious" with floating text about his head saying "SUSPICIOUS"

Because you know, players wouldn't understand that from the bark, or the body language, or the fact that he's walking towards the commotion........fucking morons.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

apparently 'players' are so dumb

all taffers excluded, the biggest market apparently is the 'console' audience.... and narrowing it down further the console audience in 'America' - the same bunch of people that are too myopic to do anything when their president gets caught spying on them..

9012329454_3919c77c94_o.jpg

That's Doritos Man himself! Dead fish eyes, the vacant "why am I even doing this" stare... a tragic shell of a man, haunted by his evil deeds! ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

all taffers excluded, the biggest market apparently is the 'console' audience.... and narrowing it down further the console audience in 'America' - the same bunch of people that are too myopic to do anything when their president gets caught spying on them..

Ahem, it's not like Britain doesn't have it's own surveillance issues ;-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

It would be really funny to hold back the TDM 2.0 release until Thief 4 has been released and then go like "If you want actual Thief gameplay, here you go: The Dark Mod 2.0! Have fun!" :D

I imagine most people who are going to play Thief don't even remember the past games so they likely won't care about "actual" thief gameplay sadly. :(

sure about that sometaff? vision indicators all up in your screen edges, and big captions of "suspicious" and "alert" hanging over all the AI's heads throughout the game, even if you do not interact with them. Well you have to interact a little, you should still

the loot from the AI once in a while...

i've read somewhere one will be able to disable such hints and 3d views.

"Hand's moves" is rather impressive, i liked hands on doorhandle actually closing door.

Action music is rather out of the palce thow, hope they come up with something more Brosius-like

As for now looks like decent Dishonored spinoff and visuals sets mood for such - gloomy plague-like and rat-ridden.

I remember Thief setting was a lot brighter and alive

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

"Hand's moves" is rather impressive, i liked hands on doorhandle actually closing door.

This is true and would add a lot to immersion. But you see those hands all the time. This annoyed me from the first second one (and to be honest, I didn't watched the video to the end, because the tears in my eyes made it impossible to see anything anyways).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Guys, don't forget that you can disable all visual markers, just like it was vor Deus Ex: HR. Still, unlike Metro: Last Light, this is not an instabuy for me. I will wait for a Let's Play by a veteran Thief player to make up my mind. Right now I'm of two minds: some of those features have the potential to be interesting, while stuff like downloading the loot is just... I'm really at a loss for words.

With regards to graphics, next-gen console or not, Thief will follow the line of all the other Thief games in that it will look like crap. Remember, T1 / T2 and TDS did NOT look as good as contemporary games. Still, those games have their visual appeal even today (at least if you are half-blind).

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

... the tears in my eyes made it impossible to see anything anyways).

Now I have tears in my eyes. :blink:

Hopefully the "hands in front of you like a mime" feature can be disabled. I didn't mind the hand coming up to work a door handle or push a door open, but groping around in the dark is not what a professional thief would do.

"While an arrow to the knee can cripple" *cringe* I thought we were done with that "joke"? :P

GfrgAUF.jpg

I am speechless. I knew they were imitating dishonored but this is too much. Have you guys seen the website? of course you have. Baron, plague, the house of blossoms... none of it reminds me of thief, but it all screams dishonored. Damn this people with no vision. Damn mediocrity.

It's pretty awful, apparently players are so dumb that when a guard says "Hey, what happened to that torch!", turns to go see what happens, they have to be told that he's "suspicious" with floating text about his head saying "SUSPICIOUS"

Because you know, players wouldn't understand that from the bark, or the body language, or the fact that he's walking towards the commotion........fucking morons.

You realize people are becoming dumber, yeah? I mean... I live in America and I'm not prejudice against anything but stupidity, that shit will wear off on you if you are around it too long. I saw a news story the other night on the television regarding ISTEP testing in Elementary schools and I was absolutely shocked at what I saw. They showed kids in the classroom taking the ISTEP and aparently they've moved the testing from paper to computers, no surprise there, but the kids all had CALCULATORS on their freakin' screens to do BASIC math?!?! Like 6x9= and the kids are punching in the numbers!! All kids can do these days on their own is push buttons. I'm sure some of them don't need the calculator crutch but still... I was shocked.

There used to be a time when you had to remember 20-30 phone numbers in your head. Now you just scroll to a name and hit the green button. Google this, google that, search for the answer... why think about the problem and come to your own conclusion using information as a tool, not a crutch.

Can people not freely think anymore? Have they no cognitive ability? Do they need everything spoon fed to them? Gaming has gone from Oregon Trail to being reminded of everything via the GUI in games and it is so annoying treating your customers like they're idiots that have no clue what they're doing. The absolute LEAST devs can do is make option switches to disable all the freaking help menus and do they? No. Because they know their main audience needs help or they'll get angry and quit cause there's a little bit of a challenge posed to them, and then they won't get their money next time around.

This current generation and those to come are going to turn the world in to a.... yeah... I guess we'll just wait and see but it ain't gonna be a fun place to be.

[/rant]

TLDR: I agree with you AluminumHaste.

Edited by Lux

Wow that commentator is a moron, he just said that the focus that allows headshots is often used to enhance the stealth gameplay......

But that guy answers some questions though, he says it's not a binary system, surface types affect your stealthiness, so grass allows you to stealth better. He didn't specifically state that light/shadow is a gradiant though. The "light gem" is back on the bottom left, but that seems to indicate a binary system of in shadow / in light.

EDIT: I saw 3 states for the light gem, Black, grey and white.

EDIT: Loot glint is back looks like

EDIT: Fire arrow doesn't make you more visible via light gem feedback.

EDIT: You can "see" footsteps through walls and such, I guess using sound to propagate AI position is one of those things that didn't make the cut.

EDIT: Guards walk through each other.....that was weird to see at 9:10. Maybe AI awareness of each other isn't implemented yet?

Rope arrow is back and looking good, 10:35

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I am feeling a bit better about this game now, that does help.

I have very mixed feelings about the game myself. Part of me struggles with the bad AI, extreme fog, obvious alerts over guards heads (I mean that was a joke a massive red eye which is visible through walls), the fact that the shadows in the levels are replaced with this weird fog stuff and of course no Stephen Russell. One thing that really put me out of place with the game was simply just the fact that takedowns exist :/ I mean it's a Thief game where you should be sticking to your shadows and not being seen, sure if you get caught in by a guard it might ensue in a little bit of fighting and/or fleeing but to actually jump down onto a guard and start punching him in the face felt very unthief like for me.

But with all that said there are certain things I do like about it such as the environments, the music, rope arrows, also I liked the overall visual feel (minus the fog) of the game too and I do like the new voice however Stephen really was Garrett just his smooth lines and incredible deep baritone voice I loved it and it will be missed, I think the reason they gave for replacing him the mo-cap thing was bullshit as other games such as Bioshock Infinite for example had different physical actors than voice but I guess it is what it is.

I guess we will have to wait and see how many of these "features" you can disable in the final version which hopefully dont make gameplay ridiculously unbalanced. If you could completely turn off that screen fog when you're hidden, focus and those visual alerts it would be great!

I am a bit confused about focus though as he did say you could turn it off and ghost through the game etc but they also say that focus is an integral part of the storyline... So if you can turn off a part of the storyline, how would they fix that? it just doesn't make sense that part.

Edited by TylerVocal

I really like crowbar as a "key" tool, it is so natural choice for a thief that I would even trade it for sword as a standard equipment. And you could even choose spiky side as lethal weapon or rounded side for KO.

I will be patient with judging whole thing, they probably don't have many things finished. If they targeting casual players with some neon signs over objectives or AI -that's fine, as far as I can disable it.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif