The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Lich Queen's Demise by Sotha (2013/05/20)

Sotha

Unusual Gamplay Contest Rating  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

Yep, she is known to be very temperamental and dodgy around your fixes. I remember the time she went on strike in Glenham Tower! One crazy AI! ;D

Wait a minute. Is she supposed to do that? She disappeared through the floor, the console spammed that she was falling out of the map, then a few minutes later she reappeared out in the hall. I've never known a disappearing AI to recover like that.

Before I go off to debug her disappearance, I need to know if this was on purpose.

Wait a minute. Is she supposed to do that? She disappeared through the floor, the console spammed that she was falling out of the map, then a few minutes later she reappeared out in the hall. I've never known a disappearing AI to recover like that.

Before I go off to debug her disappearance, I need to know if this was on purpose.

She has a death script. If she dies, she is removed from the game and a new entity is spawned: a new lich queen will march in from the flames of the ball room.

If she fell out of the map, into the void, she probably was killed by the code. Then the death script brought her back as a new entity.

Truly remarkable and tough little lady she is, is she not? Recovering even from the notorious Bed Bug, from which not a single AI has ever recovered. Aww, I'm gonna miss her after this mission.. :(

Now what we really need is a conspiracry theory that the Phantom Killer bug was in fact of her doing. I wouldn't be surprised at all now that we know she can even bypass the Bed Bug. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I don't know how unusual it is but it is certainly different.

Playing on hardest - I am not sure what difference that makes - I had no real problems although I cursed under my breath when

I had to go back down to the caves for one ingredient. As an aside the instructions were sufficiently explicit that I only needed to look in a small area of the caves so no real problem

The shadows were really unusual and

I wondered what the slow footsteps were at first until I was caught - then I knew. I think everyone should get caught at least once as the graphics were really good

A really first class mission with only one minor glitch I found

I had to use noclip to get back off the top of the Lich Queen's wardrobe

One question - as I didn't actually manage to do it - on the hardest setting how many holy water arrows does it take to kill a skeleton knight

I need to think a bit before scoring it and perhaps play it through again first this time aiming to get all the loot (I was only a 5 items missing and still had 21 water arrows left)

One thing I found really funny - I have a weird sense of humour - was watching the Lich Queen warming her hands in front of the fire

EDIT - to answer my own question it only took 5 holy water arrows this time but after he blew up another one took his place at the top of the stairs leading down to the Weeping Halls

Completed with all the loot - it was mostly the loot in the Weeping Halls which I missed

Only gave it 4 for unusual because it is always possible that a later fm will be more unusual

Edited by Oldjim

Haven't finished it yet but once again a nice map by the finlandier himself! It's almost as if you could smell/taste the rot and dirt in that place. I feel disencouraged to keep on mapping when I see such beautiful and musty environments. My maps look crap in comparison! Thumbs up for Sotha!

Haven't finished it yet but once again a nice map by the finlandier himself! It's almost as if you could smell/taste the rot and dirt in that place. I feel disencouraged to keep on mapping when I see such beautiful and musty environments. My maps look crap in comparison! Thumbs up for Sotha!

Aww man... My map was supposed to have the opposite effect! To inspire people to map! Don't give up on me, man! You won the ice hockey championships and all! (No, not bitter at all! No sirreebob. Anyways... Congrats! Try to avoid the riots in the suburbs, mmkay? :unsure: )

Great veiw indeed! But whers that horse go?

I decided to let it go. Thomas left the horse out of the map. I was initially planning to have the horse there, but I was worried those nasty zombies would eat it for breakfast. Poor animal. So, Thomas spotted the zombies early and left the Horsie behind the hill, to place where there are some munchy hay.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Absolutely AWESOME!

You Sotha are incredible!

I really liked the map, the story and the "unusual" mechanisms that you tried to explore. I think also that you now master a lot better your graphic skill on mapping, this map it's beautiful, the atmosphere it's tense and mistery.

Really BRAVO! :-D

Pranqster:

try one of the towers, on the uppermost floor.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Avoiding looking at spoilers as I'm still playing, so apologies if this has already been asked: I'm confused about an item on the ingredient list -

the item belonging to the 'one affected' - does that mean the LQ or Miriam? Either way, any hints on the whereabouts of the item very welcome. (I tried putting the LQ's diary into the cauldron but it wasn't having it.)

Great FM so far, and the Shadows are genius.

EDIT - it's OK; just answered my own question:

noclipped back up to the LQs bedroom

and got the necessary... :smile:

Edited by simplen00b

Sotha , Thank you so much , I was just about ready for another mission after replaying a lot of the earlier ones. :D

This is not "unusual", it's "very brillant" mission, as usual for you Sotha! :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

As expected, a very good mission. I wouldn't call it unusual though as it consists mostly of well known gameplay elements (story, exploration, stealth etc.). Something like Komags "The Swing" is more what I would expect from such a contest. But that doesn't make the mission less fun.

Was the way the puzzle items are used (by putting them in your hand and moving them around) inspired by the Penumbra/Amnesia games? I don't think it works very well here. It's not nearly as convincing as in these games and there already is a way (just frobbing) to use inventory items so it's just confusing the player.

The shadows are a great idea. But how they "work" is very unintuitive. You even had to provide a "manual" for them. I was to lazy to read the whole thing so I'm still unclear on how exactly they react. Are you supposed to detect them with the candles? Can they see or hear you if you're not right next to them?

The shadows are a great idea. But how they "work" is very unintuitive.

Or, erm, unusual? :smile:

Agree to some extent with the puzzle mechanics:

Putting items into the cannon and (especially) the cauldron seemed pretty hit-and-miss

but I got there in the end.

Still think the LQ's diary should count as a personal item though....

Edited by simplen00b

Just finished LQD, Sotha, a lot of fun and I'm not very keen on the undead/haunt missions but I really enjoyed it!

The Shadows were interesting and unique. The canon segment was an interesting use of mechanics as well as the cauldron. When I got there I only had 2 things and had to go hunting for the others which I enjoyed a lot.

Excellent FM.

Edited by Lux