The Dark Mod Forums

Sub Title

Kristus

I noticed the new subtitle and I must say that I don't really find it rolling on my tounge, or something. Swedish people help. :P (Det ligger inte rätt i munnen)

How about: "Tales from the gloom" or something? (I would have suggested Tales from the Dark , but it would have been to many dark in one name. :P)

It used to be 'New Tales in an Old City', but because the new background isn't a cityscape that would not really have fit. How about 'New Tales from an Old Corridor?' :P

I quite like 'Stories From the Shadows'. It took many a monkey with many a typewriter to come up with it, so be grateful! :ph34r:

Well as long as we're on the vein of subtitles...

The Dark Mod: OMGWTFZOMBIES!!!!

The Dark Mod a.k.a Thief - The L33T project

The Dark Mod: Rhymin' and Stealin'

The Dark Mod: Theft - The copyright infringement project

.... got nothin....

I always thought it should be Stealin Shit: Gankin Your Grandma's Dough To Buy Nice Clothes...but as usual everyone else shot it down before it could really take.

That was only due to the fact that you didn't want to change it to "... To Buy New Toys ...". Which would have been much more interesting *sabber*

Gerhard

Yes because during the day shadows don't exist. rolleyes.gif

Really? So what is that dark shape of my body cast on the ground on the sunny day? And caves or cellars are also well lit when the sun is shining outside...? <_<

Don't you know why Thief 3 is called Deadly Shadows - just because you can't light up the room the way you would like to - you can only have some poor spots of light. And that's why I'm asking about the meaning of Dark Mod's subtitle. Will we be able to have the light what we'd like to or will be limited to nonoverlaping spots of light?

The light configuration is more up to what your machine can handle. Each light adds on renderpass. Having more than two lights on a single surface means n*light renderpasses. So you can easily determine how far you can go with current technology.

You are not limited by TDM or Doom 3 design but by what your hardware can handle.

Gerhard

Really? So what is that dark shape of my body cast on the ground on the sunny day? And caves or cellars are also well lit when the sun is shining outside...? <_<

I was being sarcastic. ;)

Personally I have light_bright on at all times in RL, so I never see any shadows at all. This command menu in the corner of my vision is really handy.

You are not limited by TDM or Doom 3 design but by what your hardware can handle.

So that's good because as far as I know we are not able to make directional lights in T:DS which cast shadows. Even if it's impossible to handle by current machines maybe it will be possible soon.

Personally I have light_bright on at all times in RL, so I never see any shadows at all. This command menu in the corner of my vision is really handy.

And also snap_problems_to_grid makes life much easier... ;)

So that's good because as far as I know we are not able to make directional lights in T:DS which cast shadows. Even if it's impossible to handle by current machines maybe it will be possible soon.

Alot of the limitations in T3Ed really don't apply to D3, the one that comes to mind first is the size of your lights. In T3 you have to make them rather smallish so they don't effect too many surfaces, that problem doesn't exist in D3...all you have to worry about is your lights per surface count.

And since D3 can handle polygons much more efficiently you can have more lights casting shadows as well. I've pretty much gone hogwild with the maps I've been making and overdetailing them, and the engine still keeps up with what I've thrown at it with ease.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Doom3 have spotlights that can cast shadows. They use it for the flashlight among other things, and it's handling that just fine.

IMO the flashlight is not a real light for performance reasons. I think they faked the shadows with a small trick for the spotlight.You can see this quite good when go to any railing on stairs and the switch on the torchlight and watch the shadow of the railing from all kind of angles. You will notice that the shadow looks wrong from some perspectives, while this is not true for the normal lights. So if you would replace the torchlight with a standardlight and move it around, the shadows would be correct, but the performance decreases depending on the area where you are pointing it.

Gerhard