The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Not An Ordinary Guest by Fieldmedic (2013/08/01)

DeTeEff

32 members have voted

1. 1. Unusual Gameplay Theme

2. 2. Gameplay Quality

3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

It started off good with the very nice looking outside areas. But then i found out that there's lots of useless boring space, lots of it! I gave up on being interested in the gameplay. Played as thief but got so bored after all these useless empty hallways, attics, sewers and basements and locked doors and what have you... so decided to stay outside. Until i got bored of that as well.

Still appreciate all the hard work of course! Hope to see a new mission in the future. For your next mission, make it 20 times smaller and get some critical testers in an early stage that tell you if it's fun or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Why didn't I play this masterpiece earlier? Really, one can see how much close TDM comes in atmosphere and gameplay to the good old Thief games while playing this gem. This is one of my 5 favourite missions now!

To my votes:

As for unusual gameplay I voted 5/5 because this is how unusual gameplay should be. It twists the game in some serious segments, but doesn't break the overall gameplay feeling. One could make a TDM flight simulator but wouldn't get 5/5 for me in unusual gameplay because it just wouldn't be an enjoyable stealth experience anymore while beeing .. unusual. :D I loved the idea of playing three different characters (I played the Thief yet. Gotta play the two other versions too) with different gameplay, where we come to the next point:

For gameplay quality I voted "only" 4/5 because I wasn't able to flush the

toilet in the upstairs room. But maybe this is a thing the saboteur is for.. ;)

But that was more a joke. The real reason why I voted 4/5 on general gameplay was that your random loot spawned somehow very rarely. I had many, many rooms that were just empty and this was getting boring for sometime, but no big deal, so you just lost one star. The other four you get for placing nice guard routes, excellent level design that was fun to explore and of course the big mission you created over the years.

Big mission - yes, the aesthetics: I voted 4/5 for the visuals in this map. I felt very comfortable in the rooms you built. It reminded me so much of the Thief rooms. Hell, the whole mission was a beatiful heist with so many alternative routes that I'd love to see you doing a Lord Bafford's kinda remake mission really! :) I left one star out because some of the main rooms like the lobby, the bath and the entrance room felt a big blocky and rough, but maybe that is just because of the rest of the map which was very lovely to watch. For the story itself there's another minus point because I would have like to see one or another ai conversation about the hotel or the general storyline. But you can take this as the cherry on the cake as the demands raise with the overall quality.. ;)

In the end I'd recommend this mission to everyone who'd like to play TDM - no matter if experienced player or amateur. The optional mission requirements make it possible.

Very nice! I hope so much that your next mission doesn't take that many years again, since you have a good feeling what is right and what is wrong to make a good TDM FM.

PS: Don't hesitate about some of the very cruel votings! I guess that's because of the randomness that is present in your mission. One might experience luck and the map plays fine, another one maybe gets bored by bad luck. Maybe you can reduce the randomness factors in your next map a bit.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 9 months later...

I played this mission today (only one difficulty / character), and nice! I like the design of this city, specifically the soft bulgy roads ramps... as well as the designing on the interior of the hotel, which has a nice and modern design. It is a very large and complex building... which made things a bit boring and repetitive at some point, but is certainly not a bad thing either.

The idea to have each difficulty represent a different character with different objectives is a good one as well! I wonder if (even as a discrete easter egg) it would be possible to encounter the two other characters you don't play as somewhere in the world... like finding the assassin in one of the hotel rooms and the saboteur in the basement if you're playing as the thief.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing this again, I am once again reminded what an excellent mission it is! I have found not one but multiple new ways to infiltrate and rob my target. This mission doles out spaces like no other. There are so many locations that are just there - streets, houses, balconies that all serve to make the place more complex. Some people would consider it wasteful or even confusing, but in truth, it is just overly generous.

We are not worthy!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 6 months later...

How do I download version 1.01? It's not offered in the in-game downloader as an update, and the zippyshare link reports as expired. My version is definitely the old one, the readme reports as (v 1.0 (1/8 2013)) and I've got the bugs mentioned at the top!

Edit. Even better -- I tried moving my existing copy of fms/naog elsewhere and downloading again in game ... and I get the old version again, md5sum c011e104be8ee685bae8b6f836c5cd95.

P.S. If the server published checksums along with files then I wouldn't have to keep trying to dance of downloading the same old file again. I know, I'm a broken record on this.

Edited by Araneidae

Checking the opening post and the last edit date it would appear that the latest version was uploaded to one of the mirrors on the 8th October 2013 but looking at the archive the txt file still refers to version 1.0 and the files are all not later than the original opening post of this thread so it would appear that the latest version hasn't been uploaded

Checked three of the mirrors and they all have the original file

Edited by Oldjim

The map hasn't been lost. Here is a fixed version that Fieldmedic just supplied:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17706561/naog.pk4

I will get this on the mirrors tonight unless someone beats me to it.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The mirrors have been updated.

( I removed the swift-mazes mirror from the external mission database since I don't have access to update that but I think there's an

ongoing issue where internally those mirrors still persist. )

I also cleaned up the description and set version to 2 so that folks with the 1.0 version will see that there's a new build.

For some reason, the image on the missions page isn't rendering for me so I'll check that when I get home.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

Playing through the latest version and I think that there may be a problem in the Saboteur mission

I thought that the bucket of waste used to pollute the water had flies buzzing around it and now it doesn't which makes it more difficult to spot

• 2 years later...

Loot List

My first go around was Assassin, which was pretty straight forward and can be finished quickly enough. But I took time to explore the area. I must have missed something BIG, either a considerable stash of gold / jewels, etc. or a huge area of the map. I only found 1870 / 5515.

My question would be, is the loot total the same for Thief & Saboteur and is it all in the same place. Also, is there a loot list circulating around ?

I just completed THIEF and I noticed loot total was still 5515. This time however, I only got 1490 in loot :(

Could it be the 3 loot bags you pick up in the vault can go towards the 5515 ? I doubt it, but I don't have an idea where else to look. It could be 1 HUGE valued loot item I somehow missed, probably down in the sewers which branch off many times and impossible to complete without running out of breath.

Edited by CountMorillonite

• 1 year later...