78 replies to this topic

#76 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7572 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Everything made for TDM is covered by Creative Commons.

*BY-NC-SA

https://en.wikipedia...ki/The_Dark_Mod

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#77 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

Everything made for TDM is covered by Creative Commons.

That's the general rule, yeah. In this case though I'm asking for two reasons: One is that I'm not even sure if this simple armature, which exists exclusively in Blender (not TDM itself) and is only used to specify the proximity of weights on a mesh, even counts as a real asset more than it does as metadata. Second is that, since this armature isn't technically a TDM asset but an intermediary Blender function, it's probably not be subject to TDM licensing standards. I figure its author knows best.

If worst comes to worst, I'll make new joints for inclusion with my source blend. The character meshes I ported are GPL licensed, and the source file must be GPL too... however this little armature is needed to export everything properly. Not something I'm looking forward to reconstructing, considering that rigging my characters has already taken days of exhausting work. That and it would kinda be futile and silly, since in the end I'd create an original armature just to place similar bones in roughly the same positions... that's kinda like having to rewrite the same sentence in different words so it feels like you said it first.

Just to be fully clear, this is the part I'm talking about:

ZYCH4Bp.png

Edited by MirceaKitsune, 08 May 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#78 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

That skeleton was made for TDM in some other application and exported as MD5. I don't remember who the author was. I then imported it to Blender and built a new rig on top of it. I have no problem with people using it for whatever reason.

It's only a model... /// My channel on YouTube /// CGtrader , Turbosquid

#79 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

That skeleton was made for TDM in some other application and exported as MD5. I don't remember who the author was. I then imported it to Blender and built a new rig on top of it. I have no problem with people using it for whatever reason.

Thank you for the info! Sounds like there should be no licensing issues then, since you generated the final rigs... as long as you're okay with it which I understand you are.

There are in fact two armatures: The positional bones used to generate the weights, which are required to export the rig at all... and a control armature additionally, which those bones are constrained to and is used to animate the model. As a security measure, I removed the control armature from my source at first... since everything's good, I'll add it back but without the example animation which is surely a TDM asset.

Edited by MirceaKitsune, 08 May 2017 - 03:35 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users