The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Vengeance for a Thief Part 2 by Sir Taffsalot (06/09/2013)

Sir Taffsalot

19 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

• Bad
    • Could be better
    • O.K.
    • Good
    • Perfect
  3. 3. Story

• Bad
    • Could be better
    • O.K.
    • Good
    • Perfect

I believe the light inspector will show what you have configured there. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find the light entity in your map and track it down in a text editor.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

It's set to cast no shadows in the light inspector too.

If giving it a spawnarg to cast shadows and setting it to cast shadows in the light inspector too doesn't do the job, then God only knows what else I have to do to get the bloody things to cast shadows. This is just unnecessarily over complicated IMHO.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Maybe the light shader you have choosen does not cast shadows. You can check that in the material definition.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

[snip]... This is just unnecessarily over complicated IMHO.

Its not. Its always something simple we overlook generally out of frustration. That's just the way computers are.

You can't get emotionally aggravated with computer/software issues. It only clouds judgement. I've befuddled myself for hours on end at an issue to where I've blocked myself in to a corner thinking, "it can only be this OR this...." only to go to bed frustrated and ready to give up. Then I get up in the morning with a fresh perspective and look at the same problem and think.... wow, I'm a dummy... what about tHIS! and the issue is solved in a couple minutes.

Really you need to approach every problem with the attitude and perspective that "its something simple" and I'm just not seeing it or thinking how I need to. Then you'll start thinking about dependencies and other things you may not have initially considered. Out-0f-the-box thinking is required for computing issues and you ARE capable of solving them. You just need to go in to it with patience and the belief that you can and will find the answer. Knowing that from the start will ease your frustration/anger and put you in a different frame of mind. Just always think, "its something simple", and consider all inroads/dependencies and not just the ones that stand out.

CAUTION! PATIENCE REQUIRED BEYOND THIS POINT!

;)

Edited by Lux

I've spent eight months of my free time making map for TDM. I've done my part. If the lights don't work properly I don't know what to do.

Don't worry about it, your map is wonderful, if I didn't like it I never would have posted in here :)

It's a very small thing, I can change myself on my computer when I have the time. Thank you for your map <3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I've spent eight months of my free time making map for TDM. I've done my part. If the lights don't work properly I don't know what to do.

Your map it's, IMHO, a great map. The light problem, it's not a problem, it only affects some kind of gameplay and in some specific condition (and only in the city, out of the museum).

I found also that performance was very good, despite the size and the (high) complexity of the map.

The 5 lions are not easy and not too diffcult to find, just the right.

Don't worry about it, your map is wonderful, if I didn't like it I never would have posted in here :)

It's a very small thing, I can change myself on my computer when I have the time. Thank you for your map <3

It's called the curse of being a perfectionist. Unfortunately the more time I invest into something, the more I obsess over it. It's not healthy I know.

Anyway it seems impossible to fix the light bleed or at least it's taking a stupid amount amount of time to fix. As far as I can tell the main issue is on the stairs that lead to Imperial Garden. Would people be happy if I just deleted the lights by the stairs? Or perhaps replace them with a wall mounted torch?

The Joker

Meh, I don't think it's that necessary, I was just pointing it out. Non shadow casting lights should not be used on large radius lights as it's instantly noticed because it "looks" wrong. Small lights are good candidates for no_shadows.

I don't think it's you that did it at the beginning of the map, I think it's the light entity itself that has that property set. Haven't had time to track it down.

EDIT: Nevermind I just read the beta testing thread. Glad to see it's fixable. Will try the newest PK4.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

EDIT: Okay been trying to find out why, but there's nothing anywhere that should cause those street lamps to not cast shadows. So confused.

You and me both. The real problem to me is that both sets of stairs that lead to Imperial Garden are too illuminated to traverse. If I move the street lights so the light doesn't cover the stairs this should solve the problem. All other street lights cover a flat surface so wether they cast shadows or not shouldn't be a problem. Right?

With regards to the lights in the Builder area I don't really see this as a major issue. I can easily traverse the Builder area by seeing when the light gem is bright or dark.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

EDIT: Okay been trying to find out why, but there's nothing anywhere that should cause those street lamps to not cast shadows. So confused.

I guess everyone decided to skip over my theory on why this problem is happening.

Never mind. I wasn't getting updates on the beta thread, so I missed that my theory was being tested. Sorry.

I prefer the idea of using an offset light_center against the wall and having the light volume of wall lights "extend into the room".

Better for performance...

It's too bad that the particle flames in the editor follow the light origin rather than the light_center otherwise this would be easy to adjust.

Someday I'll build a few prefabs when I get a chance.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The light problem has been solved. It was the missing material shader as suggested by Baal. Don't know if or when Sir Taffsalot is providing an update, though.

What is a good sign ;)