The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Requiem by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2013/10/6)

Moonbo

Poll: Requiem (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Story

There is an unquestionable thematic resemblance to her work in the mission!

I thought it was like a pocket-sized version of DrK's Rocksbourg series, but without the nightmarishly suffocating atmosphere; DrK-lite, if you like (and I do like; DrK's a genius and I played the Rocksbourg series to about halfway through 'Ink & Dust', but the atmosphere just got too oppressive for me and I bailed out).

Hope this comes across as the compliment it's meant as. :)

Moonbo: I purchased your novella on Amazon and last night I read through the first third of it. Great stuff! If anyone's looking for a satisfying way to extend that rich Thiefy atmosphere beyond your computer, try reading Shadowcursed. B)

My question is this: Will the novella spoil the mission or vice versa? I won't get to really dive into Requiem until Sunday evening and I'm guessing I'll finish the novella by then... but I don't want to spoil anything in the mission's story or mystery. So is it okay if I finish the novella first, or should I wait until I've played Requiem?

Sincere congratulations. I'd love to write and release a decent novella or create and release a decent Thief/TDM mission, and now you've done both. Rather than just envy you, I'll try to use your accomplishments as inspiration to stop making excuses and do what I really want to do. :blush:

Edited by TafferCat
  • Like 1

Hey TafferCat,

I'm glad you're enjoying the book :-). Don't worry about one spoiling the other - they have totally different stories. Think of them as taking place in parallel universes.

There are a few references in Requiem to events in Shadowcursed, nothing too big though, but if you want to be super safe I'd recommend what you're doing and read the book first :-).

Oh, and if you liked the book after reading it all the way through, think about putting a review up on the Amazon page. Those are the best gift a writer can get.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Hey OldJim,

There are no added or different objectives based on the difficulty, the only thing that changes is that the AI get tougher (which is the default in 2.0).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

This is definitely among the best FMs I've ever played for TDM. I'm really not sure what else I can add, as every element of this mission melds together seamlessly to create a sublime experience. No complaints whatsoever - if you don't make any more of these it'd be a travesty.

• Like 1

Hey Tr00pertj,

Hint:

You need to have 4 of the shrines turned on, and the rest off. The ancient hammer letter tells you which ones to activate.

Answer:

Turn on Ice, Earth (green one in the center), Cup, and Skull.

Some people have a hard time identifying Earth since while the symbol on that shrine is the closest to "Earth" I could find, it's rather abstract. Just look for the one with green lights, or specifically the one on the ground floor directly in the center of the temple.

I was just about to come ask about this. I was thinking that the circle with the x in it was earth, as it looks kind of like a rock. The one you're talking about looks more like wind to me.

@Sakonosolo, yeah sadly it was the closest texture I could find...hopefully the green color acts as a clue most of the time.

@Oldjim, yep that's as intended.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Bravo! That was a great FM. Conclusion spoiler:

At the end, when the inspirational musical chord was playing, I felt inspired to take a lit candle from the church and place it next to the gravestone that had flowers next to it. That is a special type of unexpected gameplay action I'm sure won't be possible in the new Thief, sadly. It was a uniquely special moment for me, but for the new AAA Thief, the devs don't want you doing anything they don't want you doing or can't predict that you'd want to be doing. Outside of the box actions are frowned upon.

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 1

:) Glad to hear! Then I'll say one more:

Also while the inspirational chord was playing, I put a lit candle in the hand of the church statue that had a bracelet on :) It was a nice trade: a bracelet in exchange for making her beautifully glow. She looked lovely when holding a candle, actually ;)

Edited by Darkness_Falls
  • Like 3

In a future playthrough, I'll need to place a candle on Father Hanno's sarcophagus (down in the church crypt, it's sealed up by the time you return) :smile:. Usually I just settle for making sure that Father Markus gets his comeuppance, but you've got me inspired.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Hey Sakonosolo,

hint:

Look up.

exact solution:

You can enter the greengrocer's through a window on the upmost floor which can be reached via a rope arrow or clever mantling. Note that if you solve the greengrocer quest after defeating The Evil, things will play out differently than if you do it before hand.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

I just finished this. I ghosted a lot of it--or anyway passed without combat, KOing, or getting chased--which was a good challenge.

'Twas a very excellent story & FM. I could definitely feel the spirits of Eshaktaar & Lady Rowena in it and I'm happy to see that tradition of FM design making its way into TDM.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hey Sakonosolo,

hint:

Look up.

exact solution:

You can enter the greengrocer's through a window on the upmost floor which can be reached via a rope arrow or clever mantling. Note that if you solve the greengrocer quest after defeating The Evil, things will play out differently than if you do it before hand.

I climbed all around the greengrocer's place like 10 times and never noticed any entrance :P . Should play it again to do that.

I really liked this mission. Reminds me of the tower mission by Sotha in that you descend to retrieve an artifact and destroying it kills all the enemies in the level. I especially liked the part where you go around removing the skeleton's crowns. Though that was pretty funny.

Just bouncing in here to say that the very notion that this mission is anything but exemplary in the way of aesthetics is wrong. The visuals and the aural soundscape are outstanding. I wish you had used the term "aethetics" in the poll... but, either way (though I haven't voted yet, as I'm not "fini"), the mission is beautiful...

Not to mention the story and gameplay (once again, I haven't finished so I can only anticipate the continued excellence in these areas...).