• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#451 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1642 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

I've found this profile via French Thief site (Lady Jo), looks like someone is taking hi-res screenshots of fan missions, TDM included, and makes YT videos out of them. The TDM playlist is over 120 videos now.

https://www.youtube....Vw6_fmDOCU3bZ41

#452 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

Review from another youtuber I follow:

Nice. However, looking at his video's thumbnail, I really think we need a good promo illustration of a TDM thief standing somewhere in the shadows, with the night time city around him.

People don't have an easily downloadable promo pic like that, and reuse Garrett images from the trilogy or the reboot. I think that casts a bad marketing light on us, because it makes it seem we're stealing art assets or something. We could avoid reviewers doing that if we had a set of wallpapers with thievy characters. Toni made some good ones with TDM characters by faction, but unfortunately none for the thieves.

Just a thought. If the general audience is accidentally put off by the incorrect notion that "TDM is just a ripoff of Thief", rather than TDM being its own thing that merely pays homage to Thief, I think that could accidentally drive some people away or cause confusion. I think it would be cool if we had something like a "fan kit" of promo images (artwork and screenshots) depicting the setting's nature and atmosphere, downloadable for anyone who wants to review TDM online (whether via text review, or video review). I think it would give TDM's separate identity and "openThief" image a good boost.

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 27 September 2018 - 03:58 PM.

#453 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:26 PM

Open Thief... Hey, I like that! ;) Thing about the TDM guy is that hes often reimagined by mappers, though we all use the same HUD arm model. We do have a full player model, which is not that different from the new Thief character, and its been used for ingame cutscenes and trailers before, but its not high poly enough and not meant to be seen up close (I believe some animations are missing). I guess some sort of artwork would probably be easier to come by than a great looking, original rigged model you can use to render shots from. But thats not that easy to come by either... I guess just our clockwork logo and architecture shots will have to do for now.

Edited by RPGista, 27 September 2018 - 04:29 PM.

#454 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

Open Thief... Hey, I like that! ;) Thing about the TDM guy is that hes often reimagined by mappers, though we all use the same HUD arm model. We do have a full player model, which is not that different from the new Thief character, and its been used for ingame cutscenes and trailers before, but its not high poly enough and not meant to be seen up close (I believe some animations are missing). I guess some sort of artwork would probably be easier to come by than a great looking, original rigged model you can use to render shots from. But thats not that easy to come by either... I guess just our clockwork logo and architecture shots will have to do for now.

I actually meant that we should feature artwork with 2 or 3 different takes on the main character, each with subtle differences in attire (though roughly with the same kind of gear), and we'd base these on the characters already established within TDM. Though it's true TDM doesn't have Garrett, it still has plenty of various professional (and less professional) thieves of its own. That variety and its "you're not (always) playing a Garrett clone" undertone could help TDM move away from being seen as "just a Thief homage that lacks Garrett".

Going by the list of major named protagonists we've seen in FMs so far, I suppose the most popular or frequented ones could appear in such rough portraits. Corbin (who appears in the base game mini-campaign and other FMs), Farrell (many earlier missions), Thomas Porter (his own campaign by sotha), or William Steele (Grayman's shorter, but detailed campaign).

TDM isn't a game we present to the world on the basis of iconic characters, but nevertheless, I think a game about thieves emphasising the variety of its established thief characters isn't a bad thing. Just to give the newcomers an idea that TDM's setting and characters aren't generic and there's some good storytelling and characterisation in the missions, in addition to good level design.

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 27 September 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#455 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

I really think we need a good promo illustration of a TDM thief standing somewhere in the shadows, with the night time city around him.

http://wiki.thedarkm...ile:Farrell.jpg has most of that, just no city.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#456 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:51 PM

http://wiki.thedarkm...ile:Farrell.jpg has most of that, just no city.

Oh, I didn't realise it's supposed to be him. Though it's just the generic model, right ?

Someone needs to tell me how to turn on third person view and I'll try posing the thief character in a few existing missions with nice sceneries. :P :D

#457 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13846 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:16 PM

Oh, I didn't realise it's supposed to be him. Though it's just the generic model, right ?

Nope, that's the character model that oDDity created.

#458 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

Nope, that's the character model that oDDity created.

But does it differ from the one used ingame ?

#459 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37406 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

The one used in game is a low-poly version of the same model.

• Petike the Taffer likes this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#460 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

We do have the portrait of our Thief that appears in the main menu as well as the DR launch window. Its a pretty good picture, I quite like it, but havent seen it available on its own anywhere.

menu1.jpg

Edited by RPGista, 30 September 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#461 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

That background image of the player, is one of the sidefigures images you can find it in file "tdm_gui01.pk4" in subfolder path "\dds\guis\assets\mainmenu\".
Its one of the sidefigure-"number".dds images.

And see the model in action, in the tdm 1.0 trailer #2 at 01:10 (see spoiler}
Spoiler

Someone needs to tell me how to turn on third person view..

for the thirdperson view command, its "pm_thirdperson 1".

Edited by freyk, 01 October 2018 - 01:02 AM.

#462 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

That background image of the player, is one of the sidefigures images you can find it in file "tdm_gui01.pk4" in subfolder path "\dds\guis\assets\mainmenu\".
Its one of the sidefigure-"number".dds images.

And see the model in action, in the tdm 1.0 trailer #2 at 01:10 (see spoiler}

for the thirdperson view command, its "pm_thirdperson 1".

The one used in game is a low-poly version of the same model.

We do have the portrait of our Thief that appears in the main menu as well as the DR launch window. Its a pretty good picture, I quite like it, but havent seen it available on its own anywhere.

Thank you all. I know about the character model's cameo in the old first trailer, but the rest of the info is fairly new to me. (Okay, the GUI pk4 is fairly obvious, but I didn't bother to search for those dds format images before. I might take a look at them later.)

And sorry for the digression. Back to this being a news thread. :)

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 01 October 2018 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users