The Dark Mod Forums

Downloading the 2.0 update: manually bypassing the slowest mirrors

Bikerdude

Until it calms down a bit here is another option for people to use, that bypasses the slower mirrors and the need to download the tdm_mirrors.txt file from the already swamped darkmod.com server.

1. Download the attached file and save the following file to the root of the Darkmod folder, over-writing the one there already.
  2. Run the tdm_update.exe and on the main windows click on "advanced options"
  3. Then click on "dont search for new mirrors" and then click save.
  4. Then click on "continue"
  5. If your updating from an earlier version of TDM, you need to check the "dont search for new mirrors" once again, after 'tdm_update.exe' updates itself and restarts.mack sure to do steps 2-4 again.
  6. Please note the manual mirrors list wont work when you want to download mission's, you need to replace the "tdm_mirrors.txt" file with the default one - see attached.

- see the screenshot below for steps 2-4.

post-496-0-97974600-1381396676_thumb.jpg

Manual mirrors - tdm_mirrors.txt

Default mirrors - tdm_mirrors.txt

Thanks for the work-around but, it's not working for me..:( This is what I get:

-Downloading mirroww information...skipped. Found 3 mirrors.

-Downloading CRC file... failed.

Error: Could not download CRC info file from server.

and from the log file:

Step thread finished: 0

Step thread started: 1

Step thread finished: 1

Step thread started: 2

Skipping mirrors update (--keep-mirrors is set).

Could not fully parse the INI file.

Found 3 mirrors.

Step thread finished: 2

Step thread started: 3

Downloading CRC information...

Picking mirror robertrueger.de

Downloading to temporary file E:\Games\The Dark Mod - Standalone\__crc_info.txt

Initiating Download from http://thedarkmod.robertrueger.de//crc_info.txt

Download failed: Unsupported protocol <--????

Connection Error.

Removed file E:\Games\The Dark Mod - Standalone\__crc_info.txt

Initiating Download from /crc_info.txt

Download failed: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL <---????

Connection Error.

Initiating Download from http://roggen.jmnet.us/darkmod//crc_info.txt

Download failed: Unsupported protocol

Connection Error.

[iniFile]: Cannot open file E:\Games\The Dark Mod - Standalone\crc_info.txt

Step thread finished: 3

Thread finished with error: Could not download CRC info file from server.

hope this helps. :D

UPDATE:

I just noticed a tdm_mirrors_backup.txt and copy/pasted it's contents into the tdm_mirrors.txt file. I opened the updater, ticked the box under advanced options, and *poof* it worked! Updater worked as intended.. tho, I still cannot DL maps within the game..:(

Edited by bushwookie

The problem why the download failed is that the forum added some formatting to Bikerdudes mirror list.

tdm_mirrors.txt should actually look like:

[Mirror roggen.jmnet.us]
url = http://roggen.jmnet.us/darkmod/
weight = 4
[Mirror robertrueger.de]
url = http://thedarkmod.robertrueger.de/
weight = 10
[Mirror molez.net]
unlimited traffic
url = http://www.molez.net/mirror/tdm/
weight = 5

It might be worth simply uploading the mirrors file, so people can download it.

Edited by gnartsch

After changing the mirrors to the ones above, like I said, the 2.0 upgrade was fast and smooth. Now that I'm done and running TDM though... these mirrors do not work for TDM to get New missions or update current missions.

If you click Download Missions from the New Mission option, TDM just sits there and eventually times out with these mirrors.

If I run the update and leave all Advanced options unchecked to update my mirror list back to the originals I get:

-- Downloading mirror information... failed, cannot continue.

And I'm left with a tdm_mirrors.txt that is wiped and contains nothing.

I think someone posted the original mirrors in one of these threads... ack!

It would be nice if we also had the original mirrors either listed or linked so we can revert back to them after updating 2.0 without having to use the updater though I'm sure that's going to be working sometime in the near future.

If someone has 0 missions initially though, they have to get them all individually from a separate site linked on the forums here.

I'm also curious, will all my current missions get updated eventually when I load or play them? Will something pop up and say, "hey there's a new version of this! Want it?" ??

Edited by Lux

For me everything was back to its usual fast self, I tried some small and large missions. WS:1 downloaded in about 20 seconds, but then when the downloader hit one of the slower mirrors it crawled along.

Just quit the game and restart the game and kick of the download again.

I was able to get the list, queue a few downloads, and start them.

However, the Details.xml files are not available and the downloads are INSANELY slow.

Yeah, we've just got basic functionality going until we get past the initial surge. Hopefully we can start restoring the original site etc. soon. Also, like Bikerdude mentioned, you might just have landed with a slow mirror for that download.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

Mentlegen,

Since the site is not linking to the installer at the moment, and the initial rush is calming down, I think we can take on some fresh installs. Until the main site is 100% back up - feel free to use these links.

Windows Installer

Linux Installer

Downloading from a fresh install right now. Everything is good so far. It is downloading updates atm. Going to be a bit though.

Yep, all is working again. Updater grabs new mirrors which is wasn't doing before and Missions List is filling out and downloading missions works fine.

All of the missions that were updated for 2.0, they aren't in the list as " * Update Available" and I thought they would be. So do these have to be manually installed or do I just need to remove the one I have and then it will show in the Missions-to-be-downloaded list again? I realize just downloading the .pk4 and overwriting the corresponding FM directory and files will also update an old/installed FM, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a more intuitive way for new users that used TDM's UI.

The issue won't affect new users.

For those with 1.08, the best solution is just to delete all your pre-2.0 mission downloads and start from scratch.

If you don't want to do that, you can see the list of updated missions on the wiki. http://wiki.thedarkm...g_assets_by_map