mac

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 texmex

texmex

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I know that since the developer team has little or no access to Mac machines it's been hard to get Mac builds up. In the past, at least in the case of 1.08, users has been contributing builds themselves. For 1.08, malex984 did the work to get it running pretty much flawlessly. Can it be done again, for 2.0 this time? Anyone else with the skills up for it?

Also, congratulations on the new release! Milestone stuff!

Edited by texmex, 10 October 2013 - 12:05 PM.

• WelchBack likes this

#2 mintmind

mintmind

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

I agree with this. The 1.08 fix worked great, but I really want to check out the new 2.0 on mac. I would be willing to pay for a mac release.

Edited by mintmind, 10 October 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#3 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

TDM 2.0 is a good news!
I may be interested to do the Mac adaptation, depending on the interest in it.
Who will be ready to help out and test it?

#4 texmex

texmex

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

I want to!

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20057 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I may be interested to do the Mac adaptation, depending on the interest in it.Who will be ready to help out and test it?

Hi Malex, I was the one who updated the instructions to the wiki for your 1.08 update. I now have a 'Hackintosh' (Core i7 2.6Ghz, nVidia NVS4200) which should be just about fast enough to do testing on.

#6 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

TODOs i am thinking about:
* make a git repository with official sources (exists already) and fixed sources for OSX (not yet),
* produce instructions on creating working setup and building binaries

Besides, I will likely refrain from producing binaries for everybody (there will be source updates only).
Therefore please get and install XCode (preferably the latest available for your OSX) if you want to help or test.

Any comments?

#7 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hi Malex, I was the one who updated the instructions to the wiki for your 1.08 update.

do you mean "Installation" in 10 easy steps? :)

#8 texmex

texmex

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Besides, I will likely refrain from producing binaries for everybody (there will be source updates only).
Therefore please get and install XCode (preferably the latest available for your OSX) if you want to help or test.

Any comments?

Least I can do I guess, although I'm not very apt in compiling. :)

#9 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

For the next 'major' release I plan to have us moved over to cmake/sdl, which will remove a lot of the work/effort on the OSX side of things, I will need people to test it. But yeah, I do plan on trying to make the OSX side a lot more pleasant to build :)

#10 texmex

texmex

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

For the next 'major' release I plan to have us moved over to cmake/sdl, which will remove a lot of the work/effort on the OSX side of things, I will need people to test it. But yeah, I do plan on trying to make the OSX side a lot more pleasant to build :)

Next major is still far away I suppose?

#11 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Next major is still far away I suppose?

No clue, we'll see how it goes. But lets say 'yes', because if you want a build in a reasonable time-frame, I cant help there :)

#12 texmex

texmex

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

No clue, we'll see how it goes. But lets say 'yes', because if you want a build in a reasonable time-frame, I cant help there :)

Got it.

#13 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I had a hard time dealing with BOTH scons and xcode projects when i was adapting TDM 1.8 for OSX :(
For me a build system with cmake would be very handy :)
What is its state right now?

#14 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

What is its state right now?

I am going to do the whole port from scratch again, it took 3-4 full days last time to get it perfect-ish. I will be porting on FreeBSD -Current, so we share a fair bit of similarity, should be fairly easy once its all done.

I will start on it this weekend. I assume we'll do a minor revision for some path issues in the next few days (just new bins), but... yeah other than that I don't see a point trying to rush the porting work.

#15 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20057 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

Ok, I am getting my hackintosh up and running again this weekend.

#16 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

My git repo (https://bitbucket.org/malex984/tdm/) is a bit out of date right now but i will update it soon.
This repo is private but i can invite any bitbucket user as a collaborator - please register and let me know your nickname there.

ps:
Alternatively, i could make this repo. public, but i am not sure about the current policy of the TDM core team with respect to the mirroring of the official SVN repo.
Please let me know if it would be Ok?!
Besides, as i was out of touch for quite a while - what about an official git mirror for TDM?

#17 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16053 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Interested in getting you SVN access to TDM's sourcecode SVN and letting you create and work on a branch there?

#18 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Interested in getting you SVN access to TDM's sourcecode SVN and letting you create and work on a branch there?

Um, could you please check whether i still have read access to malex984@svn.thedarkm...vn/darkmod_src/ (as i got it shortly after the release of 1.08)?
Thanks.

#19 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hey Malex, I'd be willing to help out. I have a bit of experience with coding and stuff, but nothing really major (I mainly use it to solve mathematical problems).
You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#20 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16053 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

Um, could you please check whether i still have read access to malex984@svn.thedarkm...vn/darkmod_src/ (as i got it shortly after the release of 1.08)?
Thanks

I just checked the auth file, you should already have write access to the repository.

#21 HiPhish

HiPhish

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi, I'll be willing to test OS X builds as well. I tried compiling the code using the instrucins on the Wiki, but I got countless errors, so many that Pastebin wouldn't let me paste it all. here is the guide I used:
http://wiki.thedarkm..._Guide#Mac_OS_X

#22 jetak

jetak

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

I also tried compiling using this guide and got no where, though I didn't have much time to try and figure out where it went wrong. I installed scons using Homebrew so this might have caused some problems with environment variables. The very first error that cause the compilation to fail was:
In file included from game/../idlib/precompiled.h:135,
				 from game/precompiled_game.h:28:
game/../idlib/../renderer/qgl.h:47:16: error: gl.h: No such file or directory
In file included from game/../idlib/../renderer/qgl.h:58,
				 from game/../idlib/precompiled.h:135,
				 from game/precompiled_game.h:28:

and then a slew of errors after that.

I'm not sure what the flag MACOSX_TARGET_ARCH="i386" is supposed to do. I could not find a reference to it in the SConstruct file, though I admit I dont know much about scons.

Anyways, I'd like to help in the work of getting a Mac build of the game.
My specs are:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB

Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F37)

#23 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, scons scripts do not support MacOsX at the time + sources have to be fixed in order to be compileable under OSX.

i will be pushing my rough fixes to the bitbucket repo i mentioned before...

#24 malex984

malex984

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Ok. I tried to use the present scons build system and managed to produce libgame.dylib after fixing some issues (sorry, not yet pushed to the repo) :-)

Why, i wonder, ONLY x86 bit cpu architecture is supported and 32 bit host machine is assumed during the build process?
Does this mean that there will be no 64 bit build of TDM?

Further on, what is the point of GLimp? GL-logging?
  • nbohr1more likes this

#25 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8927 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

The Dhewm 3 branch merge should resolve the 64-bit question. As for the lack of PPC? This may be a remnant from changes that were made when it was presumed we would not
be getting any assistance with the MAC builds? Perhaps this will help you find the missing bits:

http://fabiensanglar...acosx/index.php

?
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users