The Dark Mod Forums

Want to help? Want a little reward too?

Serpentine

Taffers,

This thread is about feedback for my idea. Feedback.

I have two problems,

• Firstly: I have a pile of game codes, steam games and such. They are extras from end of year sales, Humble Bundle and the like. I would like to make other people happy,
  • Secondly: I like TDM, and I'm sure you do too. We require game assets to expand the mappers palette. Models, music, sound, textures, animations, particle effects etc. We also require things like tutorials, wiki articles and general help.

My proposition is simple; Lets help each-other out. For your effort I will give you a selection of games for you to pick from (obviously the work must be of a reasonable quality, and I'm not making this into some contest, don't worry.). I think a game for a potplant is a good trade.

1. What do you think?
  2. Would you be interested?
  3. Questions?

I will make a list when I wake up in 8-ish hours time. I realised that I do owe a few of the Valve games to an ex, but there's still a good 15 odd others.

If it's a good idea and people like it, maybe a few more people could chip in with their overflow. I mean, I wouldn't even steal them. I spend my time playing openttd/jagged alliance 2 mods/TDM.

It's a nice idea, but the rewarding is always a bit problematic: who will get and on what grounds?

Will you reward previous contributions or contributions starting now?

If you now immediately reward people for previous contributions, all your games are distributed among the team member / veteran mappers. If you start rewarding people from contributions from this point onward, the people who have contributed a lot in the past may ask, why aren't they rewarded.

See? Problematic. You are, of course, free to give your games to whomever you wish, but I hope it won't damage general team / community motivation.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Using models as an example, my current mental take is like this : I ask for some type of model, maybe something specific like a window-box with a fern in it. Or perhaps 'stuff that you would find in a cave'. But always discrete units of work... and never maps.

People accept the challenge (pitch their take, maybe a rough bit of work). They have a week or so to deliver the goods, failing that it goes for another round. My choice is final. If I don't think the asset is good enough for a reward, I reject it. I doubt that would happen, as obviously I want WIP pics and stuff, you know -- community interest.

The whole past contributer thing doesn't come into play... because I don't see why it would.

But yeah, this is why I'm asking for feedback; Maybe its bad, maybe I just need a different model to work with. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Remember, my problem is getting rid of stuff I have no need for, I don't wish to monetize anything. However in the past I usually just paste keys into an irc channel or gift things to people with interesting avatars in some Steam pub game. It feels like a waste. I dont really have any friends that play games, Taaaki is about the only one, and he doesn't have time :<

I'm not sure this is neccessary. People are contributing. But as we all do this as a hobby, it takes its time.

Standalone seems to have flushed a lot of new people to TDM. I would wait a bit to see how this effects the amount of contributors.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Using models as an example, my current mental take is like this : I ask for some type of model, maybe something specific like a window-box with a fern in it. Or perhaps 'stuff that you would find in a cave'.

If someone needs something he just needs to ask. This is how we have done it thus far and it seems to work pretty well.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter