The Dark Mod Forums

Can we get TDM on GOG.com & Desura

Dark Phoenix

Well here is an idea I had while browsing the Steam thread. I personaly don't like Steam but no matter.. I expect the dev team to do what they feel is right for the game and if they want Steam, so be it.

I'd also like to see a full torrent with all the current missions already downloaded and incorperated into the installer. ( I might make this and upload it if there are no objections)

To get more exposure for TDM 2.0 why not try to get it on GOG.com and Desura?

GOG.com does have some free games they offer, mostly indie games. The Dark Mod could get tons of exposure at GOG I think. Same with Desura.

It's a good avenue I'd like to see explored.

BTW, I'm not suggesting using GOG or Desura over Steam, I'm saying do both as well as a full torrent with missions, downloaded from popular torrent sites aka The Pirate Bay.. This will be 4 ways to get more exposure.

Many people use GOG, Desura and/or Steam. These are the 3 biggest gaming sites. It just makes sense to me, that If your going to get The Dark Mod on one platform (Steam) you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by not getting it on the others. This would really maximise esposure.

Edited by Dark Phoenix
  • Like 2

Only problem is the last time Desura approached us they wanted to outfit the Mod so that it was updated via their own system. They wouldn't budge on that either, it was their way or the highway.

I don't think valve will let you update the game on steam either using your system, at least i don't see any game in there that has a different means of updatings as others. And why should you guys sacrifice the prospect of having more exposure with the resistance of using a 3rd party update system then your own?

I remember giving each of the free games placed in my GOG.com games library a good look and a couple of plays when I first signed up. I'm thinking you'd end up with a considerable showing if you were to put it on there, and it would be a good way to gauge the reception of the game outside of your own humble site through a game distributor. Plus, GOG's service seems so clean, so it would be the most open and simple approach compared to services like Steam and Desura.

Edited by Jet v4.3.5

I figure this would be pretty popular on GoG. I remember making a thread there a while back and the reception was pretty positive in general.

Actually I think there's already a wishlist entry on GoG for The Dark Mod that can be voted on.

I don't think valve will let you update the game on steam either using your system, at least i don't see any game in there that has a different means of updatings as others. And why should you guys sacrifice the prospect of having more exposure with the resistance of using a 3rd party update system then your own?

I'm pretty sure I've had at least a couple that used their own updater regardless of Steam. One of them was AI War: Fleet Command, but I forget what the other one was.

Aside from that, since I often buy non-Steam copies of games that also come with Steam keys, I've noticed a lot of indie games in general behave identically on and off Steam provided they don't use Steamworks so there doesn't seem to be anything explicitly blocking the use of other updaters there, at least not for free or indie games.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

Here's the thing - We get nothing out of this, besides exposure. Now not to be a complete tool... but for now we have some pretty big issues and already a large influx of players (which I like to think of as potential mappers, cos TDM mapping is actually pretty fun, words I never thought I would say).

I digress. There are big fish to fry at the moment, once we are a bit more into the 'wow, people actually like us! and the project is in good shape', I think then is the time to look at things like this.

The updater/downloader type things are pretty TDM specific, we cant really retro-fit in to a 3rd party, but GoG would be a good fit, as they can just host a pre-packaged TDM installer. That said, TDM's redist size might be dropping pretty dramatically in the future. Maybe.

Here's the thing - We get nothing out of this, besides exposure. Now not to be a complete tool... but for now we have some pretty big issues and already a large influx of players (which I like to think of as potential mappers, cos TDM mapping is actually pretty fun, words I never thought I would say).

I digress. There are big fish to fry at the moment, once we are a bit more into the 'wow, people actually like us! and the project is in good shape', I think then is the time to look at things like this.

I'd like to see it as " if you biuld it, they will come". This is my second play through of the missions and of course now I have some new missions to play. YAY! I'm so happy this project is still alive. This is the Only way for Thief fans to get the stealth fix they need. I'm sure there are still tons of Thief fans that havent heard about TDM yet. I love the posters idea above to bundle TDM with GOG's Thief 1, 2 and 3 collection.

I'm thinnking too once Thief 4 is out there will be game play nuances and mechanics that TDM team and modders never thought of that might get incorperated into the next version of TDM. Exciting times we live in. To me TDM can only get better.

If you wait till your popular enough you may never get there.. it might be better to do the GOG thing now and hope they come after the fact - you know what they say about young couples trying to have a baby right? If they wait till they have the money for the kids, they will never have kids.. just have the kid now and you'll be o.k. in the long run having not waited to have the kid.

If you wait till your popular enough you may never get there.. it might be better to do the GOG thing now and hope they come after the fact - you know what they say about young couples trying to have a baby right? If they wait till they have the money for the kids, they will never have kids.. just have the kid now and you'll be o.k. in the long run having not waited to have the kid.

My wife and I waited until we had the money and owned a house. We now have two kids. Sure, we waited ten years but we're older and wiser for having done it.