The Dark Mod Forums

The Master Foundry FM Walkthroughs/Reviews

Wizd3m

I was wondering if someone could suggest a possible fix to this issue I've been having with The Dark Mod. Basically, whether I record the gameplay to an SSD drive or a regular HDD, my frame rate always suffers, often quite a bit. The software I use to record my videos is DXTory, which gives me no trouble in any other game, while my computer should have more than enough rendering power ( GTX 780, 16gigs ram, 4.5ghz Quad Core, etc...). Please note, the frame rate only drops during the recording process, never in regular playthroughs. Could this be a simple incompatibility with the recording software itself? or perhaps a graphical setting that I should disable to keep the fps steady? I'm worried because later levels will only increase in size and improve in appearance, so recording may just become impossible. Maybe it's in the way the level was built? Anyway, I would appreciate any advice and would gladly try any fix. Thank you lads!

"It's as dark as a .. what? Haha" :laugh:

:D

• Like 1

Since you have a GTX 780, you should try Nvidia's Shadowplay. It's hardware-accelerated, meaning it uses the dedicated video encoding hardware built into your video card. With the latest version, it allows unlimited manual recording. I get way, WAY better performance with Shadowplay than any other video capturing software.

I haven't tested it with TDM yet, and I have found that, for some reason, it doesn't work well with certain games. But give it a try.

Great game-play videos, btw. Very clear audio and good direction presented throughout!

When you're in a room with a guard patrolling outside, if you get up close to the door and turn parallel to it and then lean in to the door as if to put your ear up to it... it works! You can hear much better the sounds on the other side of the door; e.g. hear when its clear from footsteps, etc. Provides a great feeling to the missions as opening a door while an AI is walking past, although they don't notice it in-game, is a bit silly.

I didn't realize this until I read a post here on the forums about it but it really does help out and also 'feels' more immersive, and also, is cinematic in its own way.

Edited by Lux

Ah, thank you. Is that default behavior now or is it 'up to the mapper' via door spawn_args? Only reason I ask that is because in the "Outpost" play through its done a number of times to no effect. Well I guess the AI could be looking at them but when you're in the dark in the room they notice nothing instead of noticing a door that's just opened on it own. It would be great if an AI notice a door opening and then go investigate and path in to the room and inspect, then blame it on the wind/ghosts/shadows.

Is it possible to have an AI path choice that goes in to a locked room they don't have the key for? Or will that make them go to it and stand there forever? Is there a way to set up pathing so that if a door is open it is included in their pathing but if it is closed it is not. Probably through scripting or is there a spawnarg on a path_corner to allow for that?

It would be neat to have a few barks for AI that notice a door opening on its own and blaming it on ghosts in a shaky, scared voice or something :)

Sorry to go OT.

Edited by Lux

Door behaviour:

For an unsuspicious door:

The door starts to open, stims the AI, but the AI ignores it, because the door is < 20% open. One second later, when the next stim hits him, if the door is < 20% open, he'll continue to ignore it. Otherwise, he'll look at the door for 2 seconds. Non-suspicious doors can be cracked open indefinitely w/o nearby AI noticing.

For a suspicious door:

Allow player to crack open (< 20%) a suspicious door to peek out w/o grabbing the attention of a nearby AI. After 5s, the AI will notice the cracked open door.

When the door is >20%, it stims the AI, and the AI immediately starts to look at it for 2 seconds. 1 to 1.5 seconds after the stim, while looking at the door, if no friendlies are apparent, the AI will bark and walk toward the door and begin his search.

Since you have a GTX 780, you should try Nvidia's Shadowplay. It's hardware-accelerated, meaning it uses the dedicated video encoding hardware built into your video card. With the latest version, it allows unlimited manual recording. I get way, WAY better performance with Shadowplay than any other video capturing software.

I haven't tested it with TDM yet, and I have found that, for some reason, it doesn't work well with certain games. But give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion TafferCat, I may end up trying just that. However, since I actually purchased DXTory, and it does work well with every other game I play, I'd like to try and find the culprit before abandoning it for another tool. I do hear great things about Shadowplay though.

Great game-play videos, btw. Very clear audio and good direction presented throughout!

When you're in a room with a guard patrolling outside, if you get up close to the door and turn parallel to it and then lean in to the door as if to put your ear up to it... it works! You can hear much better the sounds on the other side of the door; e.g. hear when its clear from footsteps, etc. Provides a great feeling to the missions as opening a door while an AI is walking past, although they don't notice it in-game, is a bit silly.

I didn't realize this until I read a post here on the forums about it but it really does help out and also 'feels' more immersive, and also, is cinematic in its own way.

Thank you Lux, and good to know about the sound/door dynamic. I'll keep that in mind for future playthroughs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...