The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: In A Time Of Need by kyyrma (2013/11/12)

kyyrma

I started my first fanmission (it will take some time) and you'll find some stuff like that in it...

@Kyyrma: Looking forward for more stuff by you. I had a lot of fun playing this small mission. Well done!

edit: Played it 2 times - on easy and difficult.

Thanks! Looking forward to your first FM.

Added to the official mirrors and updated the links on the FM page.

Cheers Biker! I'm afraid I never took you up on that offer of helping to optimize the level, but it runs pretty well, doesn't it?

Actually, those of you who have played it, how was the performance? Especially in the front door / balcony area?

I had not performance issues. The mission ran perfectly without any issues, except that the door near to the sleeping girl showed the void from the long edge next to the wall when the door was open. I suspect the door VP was a bit misaligned. It was not a biggie, so I didn't bother to mention it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Actually, those of you who have played it, how was the performance? Especially in the front door / balcony area?

i didn't habe no problem at all. I just think there is a intenal VP leak in the portal for

secret room for sound propagation from the guard outside didn't lower when the wall did close behind me. Sry don't have the time to did into DR right now to verify. Anyway it isn't a problem for the small secret room though. My girlfriend did think the guard was right behind us although I know he couldn't as the wall had been closed.

Also when I run back from the side you can climb to the balcony to where you start to finish the map there also seam to be a clipping error probably because of a misaligned visportal. I could see the skybox for a second where the gate fence and outer wall was supposed to be. But no big deal imo.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

I had not performance issues. The mission ran perfectly without any issues, except that the door near to the sleeping girl showed the void from the long edge next to the wall when the door was open. I suspect the door VP was a bit misaligned. It was not a biggie, so I didn't bother to mention it.

Ah, I had thought I had fixed that. I think some part of the door/hinge/VP is misaligned from the grid. At some point I recall snapping them to the grid, but I might have CTRL-Z too far doing some other edit later on and misaligned them again. Thanks for pointing this out.

i didn't habe no problem at all. I just think there is a intenal VP leak in the portal for [spoilers]

Also when I run back from the side you can climb to the balcony to where you start to finish the map there also seam to be a clipping error probably because of a misaligned visportal. I could see the skybox for a second where the gate fence and outer wall was supposed to be. But no big deal imo.

The first problem you mention is caused by the visportal not being connected to the actual sliding door. It's located at the stairs instead, and doesn't close when you go down. Normal door visportaling didn't work for that particular door, because of its "airlock" nature (depending on where it is, it can block off two different passageways). I noticed the sound propagation problem during testing, but didn't find a simple enough way to fix that. Might be something to look into if I decide to update the map at some point.

The second problem is caused by the outer wall and gate being hidden once the player reaches a certain distance from them (this is to boost performance outdoors). I had thought its impossible to be far enough from the wall and still see it once it disappears, but apparently I've missed some position. Could you send me a screenshot where you can see the skybox through the wall?

Thanks guys, glad you liked it!

Maybe you could put this mission into a larger quest? I would love to see it expanded.

I've been toying around with some ideas, although my better half is very much hoping I wouldn't touch Dark Radiant for a while. She hates it when I finally crawl to bed at 3AM or so :D

I've been thinking of making this level a part of a trilogy, the second level taking place in a smoke shop that serves as a front for a criminal syndicate. We'll see!

I've been toying around with some ideas, although my better half is very much hoping I wouldn't touch Dark Radiant for a while. She hates it when I finally crawl to bed at 3AM or so :D

It IS possible to fit ordinary life with DR mapping. Just limit your mapping time to hour or two per day. Granted, that means less experimenting and more efficient creation, but it is possible once you don't need to spend a lot of time figuring out basic things.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played this on Expert and had a fun time with it. I didn't KO anyone, and I did get busted in the

main sitting room, as I was in the hallway when the guard came out of the kitchen. I was scrambling to get into a shadow, got stuck on a chair, and he saw me. I ran around the room getting hacked to pieces before finally getting a flashbomb out and blinding him in the kitchen. I rushed upstairs, looted everything up there (got ready to hide in the toilet like so many others) and then got out.

Few nitpicky things--there were a few places I could see into the void, and some of the brush-built things (like the kitchen cupboard doors) looked a bit blocky. On the other hand, great attention to door sounds, and I loved the custom drawers. A very solid first mission!

What did the lever in the power room do? Did it turn off the lights in the house?

I pulled it but not until I was on my way out.

edit: btw, have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcYRvn88aE

What did the lever in the power room do? Did it turn off the lights in the house?

I pulled it but not until I was on my way out.

edit: btw, have you seen this?

Thanks for the comments Springheel! At some point I'd like to address those leaks into void and update the map. Mind listing the points where you saw this?

Regarding

the lever in the generator room: it cuts off the power to the outside light. Originally it cut off all the power, but that made it too useful for the player. It's still very useful though.The guard who comes down to switch back on it is the one from the balcony, who also has the front door key on him. So a player could sneak into the generator room from the airduct, switch off the power and wait until the guard comes to switch it back on, and then snatch the key easily.

Oh and I hadn't seen that video before! Really cool! It's interesting to see that something I felt I telegraphed really really well (the hatch to the attic / hay storage) is so easily missed by the player.

Edited by kyyrma

It's interesting to see that something I felt I telegraphed really really well (the hatch to the attic / hay storage) is so easily missed by the player.

I missed it the first time I went up there. Actually thought you had made a newbie mistake by having a lit lamp on an upper level that didn't lead to anything interesting. How wrong I was... :blush:
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, just finished this on Expert, with 0 Stealth Score.

+Readables are very nice.

+Level design is cool and detailed. I especially liked the balcony.

+Secret passages are nice, and I appreciate the hints in the readables to how to access these passages.

+Light switches mechanisms are well done.

+Multiple ways of entering the mansion.

-The whole map for me was too easy, mostly because of the lack of guards. I was able to get a 0 Stealth Score with ease, and I never get this lol

So I suggest adding more guards and electric lights that cannot be turned off.

I did enjoy playing this mission however, and considering this is your only FM, you did a good job.

Thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus
  • Like 1

Thanks for the rundown Jon!

Regarding the number of guards, the cramped level made it really hard to add more guards without pathfinding issues or the guards bumping into each other (especially because my understanding of designing paths and monsterclipping was still a bit shaky). I tried to compensate with the trick that makes guards take over each others patrol routes if one is knocked out or killed.

Adding lights you can't turn off was something I did think of, but I felt like that would be taking away options and interactivity from the player - which I agree in hindsight could have made for tighter gameplay.

I'm currently in progress of creating my next map, which will be a continuation for In a Time of Need. I've got a three level story-arc planned, with every map ramping up in diffculty and size. I can tell you that the map I'm working on now is already the size of In a Time of Need, and maybe about half-way done :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the rundown Jon!

Regarding the number of guards, the cramped level made it really hard to add more guards without pathfinding issues or the guards bumping into each other (especially because my understanding of designing paths and monsterclipping was still a bit shaky). I tried to compensate with the trick that makes guards take over each others patrol routes if one is knocked out or killed.

Adding lights you can't turn off was something I did think of, but I felt like that would be taking away options and interactivity from the player - which I agree in hindsight could have made for tighter gameplay.

I'm currently in progress of creating my next map, which will be a continuation for In a Time of Need. I've got a three level story-arc planned, with every map ramping up in diffculty and size. I can tell you that the map I'm working on now is already the size of In a Time of Need, and maybe about half-way done :)

You are welcome kyyrma!

Awesome, I look forward to playing it!

• 1 month later...

Cool little mission. It had lots of little details that I liked, such as the anchor in the garden, and

the secrets and hidden passageways

One thing I noticed

I was hiding in the toiled from the guard who was alerted. Even though the light in the bathroom was turned off, he did not turn it on. This is probably a mod thing rather than a map issue

• Like 1

Really nice to see how much fun a small sized mission can be! New players should definitely try this one out! For experts it is a bit too small / easy.

I like how the house is constructed and where the guards patroul. Didn't find all the loot, so I guess there's more space to explore. The tension is created by the few places to hide at - so good positioning of lights! I hope to see more of you (maybe a larger mansion mission next time?) ;)

Good work, kyyrma!

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Glad to hear you guys liked it!

I'm still at work on my second map. It's going to be a sequel of sorts, so keep tuned. I was hoping to release in January, but having to do my thesis and working for two gaming publications at the same time has but a bit of cramp on my mapping. It's coming however, hopefully soon! :-)

If you don't mind slight spoilers, there are some early screenshots here and here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As promised, just played this before doing "Breaking out the Fence".

Positive: Nice interior design, music tension, use of small doors.

Negative: Interior Ai patrols seemed unnaturally crowded, given the size of the house.

A very nice first mission... :)

• 3 months later...

Nice little mission, was fun to play. Got all loot, and a stealth score of 5 on expert difficulty. :) One small issue: I got caught on the only dark spot in the kitchen, in the corner between the 2 doors, i wouldn't have expected the guard to go exactly there, after coming from library/living room. One could hide in the kitchen cabinet of course, but the way to it is long and there's much light. Apart from that, all very nice, storytelling (i think you have a nice touch for readables, the mission intro was just right), atmosphere, and mission/mansion structure, all very good. Looking forward to play Breaking out the fence now.

• 1 month later...

Just finished it. Though short, it was really cool and fun to play. I liked that the author paid attention to details and multiple ways of infiltration.

My favourite moment was

when I realized that I just infiltrated the mansion through a shitter, lol. Like those dwarves from Hobbit2 movie :D Actually I was playing Thief series and The Dark mod and wondering how soon it will come to this. :D

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 5 years later...

This is a nice, compact mission. The layout is clean and logical, lighting is well placed, and the guards were effective without outstaying their welcome. I finished with all but 5 golds and a stealth score of 0 on the hardest difficulty.

Spoiler

The best bit was the smuggler making a big show of being a philanthropist with his fancy spice, while also being a complete douche to his cousin and his staff.

I recommend this map for anyone who wants a nice, unpretentious 30m mansion raid.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle