The Dark Mod Forums

Fellow taffers, greetings.

Bastoc

Hello guys,

I think this is not a bad place to introduce myself, so here I go.

I discovered TDM a few days ago, and I have to say the game is excellent and many missions are amazing. But moreover, I think the potential is tremendous, with so many passionate and skillful people. Could be the best stealth game ever, and make up for the trend of mainstream commercial stealth games that has been spreading lately.

So I want to contribute. However, I am kind of lost in here.

I know C++, but I never worked on practical projects (nor games) so I have no idea of how this works. I think AI is crucial and takes alot of work, so if I can help I will try. I had a look at the Coding wiki but the articles look too specific, where should I start ?

I would love to work on FMs, possibly with others. Especially on plots since I used to write scenarii for pen & paper RPG, but I am also interested in level design. I guess I should start with the A-Z doc on DarkRadiant, right ?

I can also translate into French. How does that work ? What about the readables in FMs ?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Bastoc
  • Like 1

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

Greetings and welcome!

As someone who recently went through the learn to map process, yes, start with the A - Z tutorial in the wiki. It's designed to give an overview of most things and is fairly comprehensive. After that, the Startpack provides the framing elements for your own mission, once you understand what you need.

Pain points are learning that things don't simply rotate like in other software (you'll understand when you try it). And a secret is the tab key let's you resize Entities. (You'll learn the difference between "Brushes" (primitives in other systems), "Entities" (of which the oft referred to Func_Statics are subsets), and "Models".)

As for FMs, I had your thought in reverse, as I tend to be motivated to map driven by bringing a story to life. So had the thought once I finished with my current endeavors, that I might request stories from those less inclined to build themselves.

Although I've read about translations/localization in the wiki/forum, I don't fully understand it, it sounds like item names are replace with codes, so there can be a mail merge like file, or something like that. It seems most don't take advantage of the system currently. It also sounds like it should be changed so item names could be the codes, eliminating the need to go through trying to find every time and change it's name to a code.

But those more aware than I should chime in on these other subjects!

• Like 2

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Welcome Bastoc!

My recommendation is to take a few days to explore the community; poke around in the forums, see what kinds of things are being discussed, check out the wiki and bugtracker. Going through the A to Z guide and making a tiny mission is also a great way to see how things work behind the curtain, and is probably a prerequisite to tackling anything on the code side. Once you've done those things you'll have a much better idea of where you might be able to help out.

• Like 1

As for FMs, I had your thought in reverse, as I tend to be motivated to map driven by bringing a story to life. So had the thought once I finished with my current endeavors, that I might request stories from those less inclined to build themselves.

Ahah, that's good, maybe we would be a fine team then ! But I have some stuff to learn first !

Although I've read about translations/localization in the wiki/forum, I don't fully understand it, it sounds like item names are replace with codes, so there can be a mail merge like file, or something like that. It seems most don't take advantage of the system currently. It also sounds like it should be changed so item names could be the codes, eliminating the need to go through trying to find every time and change it's name to a code.

Yes, had a glimpse about a i18n stuff if I remember well, I will read more about that later.

Welcome Bastoc!

My recommendation is to take a few days to explore the community; poke around in the forums, see what kinds of things are being discussed, check out the wiki and bugtracker. Going through the A to Z guide and making a tiny mission is also a great way to see how things work behind the curtain, and is probably a prerequisite to tackling anything on the code side. Once you've done those things you'll have a much better idea of where you might be able to help out.

Right, will do !

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

Yes go through the tutorial.

I knew just a bit of coding also, and what really worked for me was downloading the sourcecode, getting it to compile & play, and then just reading it carefully and experimenting with changes on my own local version to figure out how it works, just for me. Also scripts, which are just text files dropped in your .pk4. I did that for months before I had any confidence to bring up little improvements I made for myself in a thread as suggestions to actually go in the game, but after a lot of discussion & work a few did! Or you can do some clever scripting for an FM you make, and then other FM authors can use your tricks for theirs too. That's another way to contribute. And I think those are good ways to go about it. No better way to learn than doing.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 months later...