The Dark Mod Forums

Artistic Style

DopeFishhh

One thing i really liked was the concept artworks for thief 3, the painted and slightly cartoonish look to them. also in the game i enjoyed the break in some parts from trying to get mega graphics power and put some artistic style in (like the moonlight through the windows). I guess the way i've seen thief is more about the art and the 'hey that looks pretty cool' despite it not having half a billion poly's.

What artistic stylisations (if any) are you wanting to apply to the base content?

Our artistic direction is one that is based on a warm, colourful palette, with a very slight edge of romantic realism. The shimmery shafts of light in T3 are about the only things from that game that would fit into what we have in mind.

I wouldn't call the T3 style cartoony, just a bit more artistic and surreal. We can borrow that surreal style in some bits... there was nothing wrong with it, apart for the fact that everything was washed out, either blue, black or grey. Add that surreal artistic T3 style with a few crazy primary colours and you have a decent look that should be used in moderation. I point to some of the Pagan stuff Renzatic has produced, which I think looks awsome. :ph34r:

T3 does not equal bad. T3 wasn't as great a game as T1 and T2, but it had a brave, unique style which I applaud. It didn't quite manage to pull it off, but I think Renz' pagan stuff has shown that he can do so, mostly because of a better use of textures and colours. There was good stuff in T3, and we should be inspired by what worked rather than positioning ourselves as some kind of binary opposition just because some unrelated features weren't up to par.

I don't think it's the style so much as the engine. If you were to take what was shown in T3, refine it a bit and make the details a bit finer rather than thicker, you could come up with some really cool and interesting stuff.

There were some things I didn't like about T3, like how they used bold deep colors instead of more natural looking colors...orange for a candlelight instead of a light orange-white or dead on blue for ambient night for instance...but the textures (or at least their designs) and architecture were great. Mixing some of the better parts of T3's style in with T1 & 2 could do us some good in the long run.

so with the lighting are you going to leave the maps totally unlit save for the obvious lighting from a torch or electric light?

and what about day scenarios? i know traditionally thief has been set in darkness but it would be a very nice gameplay element to have to beat the daylight clock.

Both of those things can easily be done by FM authors, who may indeed be able to find a point for them.

I am not saying you should.

However, there are many people who would find that interesting.

I asked a simple quesiton "Whether the d3cdit sun script would work with light gem"

It would be interesting in my opinion. Sure there are many other options, for example just a timer accomplishes the hurry up as well, but I personally think that there is nothing wrong with sneaking in the daylight, after all it is still dark inside :P

The lightgem should works with all lightsetups except animated lights. By animated lights I don't mean that the lightsource may not move, but that the texture of the light itself is animated, because this is done by the scriptengine.

An example would be a texture with an animated fan in it. The fan turns around and producess shadow and light intervalls accordingly. This will not work. If you, on the other hand, create a real fan and place a normal lightsource behind it, then the resulting shadow/light cycle will be taken into account by the lightgem.

Since the sun is simply an moving lightsource, it should work. It might not produce good results though, because a sun is, by definition, VERY bright, which means, that the lightgem might register on the brightest level regardless. Of course using a moon should give different results.

Gerhard