The Dark Mod Forums

implementing a pain wheel

hi, I created a Pain wheel addition for the HUD, it's an adjacent GUI that shows the direction of the pain, from which the player was attacked from, like many modern shooters this helps the player locate the enemy easily and conveys graphically the amount of damage received, are you interested in it?

https://github.com/BielBdeLuna/dhewm3/tree/compass

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

Thanks but sorry i'm not, this game is not a shooter and i personally don't want something flashing on my screen to tell me the direction of the attack, that feature is an immersion breaker on game like TDM, if something like that is implemented then a turn off button should be provided imo.

Edited by HMart

That's a nice bit of work, and it's great to see people poking around and trying new things.

I don't think we would add something like that to the core mod though, as our design philosophy is to keep the HUD as minimal as possible (and the player is rarely attacked by people he's unaware of, unlike modern shooters).

This is one of those things IMO that isn't a fit with the HUD design philosophy as mentioned, so not a fit for the game, but not a bad feature per se. So if people are interested, and I imagine some will be, they could implement it locally. I'll add it to the Unofficial Tweaks wiki entry anyway, so players looking for tweaks can find it.

You might add some basic instructions to the github page or in your OP to this thread (now that I put up that link to here) so a player that's interested knows how to get it running in their game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

thanks for the constructive critique Springheel, and for the other two posters, jeez calm down, I'm offering something not requesting. no need for bitterness.

I'm not bitter and sorry if that is how i came out, is always good for people to want to help the TDM team, its was just that the term "modern shooter" made me cringe because it reminds me of the later COD games and how they are destroying what wonse was my favorite genre, second that term is not at all representative of the TDM gameplay. Again sorry if i came out wrong it was really not my intention.

Actually, is this like a circle in the center of the screen, or red glow on the edges? Because right now, if you get hit, there already is red glow on the edges, only it's all-around rather than just in the direction of the attack. I think the latter option would be okay to have. Don't think it's necessary, but, hey, if it's there...

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

it's the same kind of stuff you see in Rage when you get hurt,

It helps convey that you are hurt and also informs you the direction of the pain (or in this case of the attake),

You see, the code can be addapted to the direction of the pain itself (the bullet itself not the owner of the bullet) so in the case of the Dark Mod it would help convey from where the player was attacked, it could be usefule in the case of the sword fighting,

The code lends itself to be easily adapted to different kind of pains, in the code itself there are two pains already coded in, "attacker direction", and "fall damage". but you could add diferent pain elements for different parts of the body.

This is partly dynamic, so you will not see the same imaginery all the time (like you see in vanilla doom3 when the player get's hurt)

you can see the something along the lines in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or even in the Uncharted series, I don't know about COD bacuse to me the modern combat ones are just War on Terror propaganda crap, I prefer the ww2 ones.

an example from Rage, look when the player get's shot:

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

Having a static painwheel that tells me that something hit my head from the right (more blood on the top-right) or my body from the left (more blood in the lower left) would be ok.

But seriously, I would have no interest at all in a painwheel that always points to the attacker.