Photo

The Darkmod on Android: just got this PM on moddb.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20186 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Dear developing team,
Firstly, I would like to congratulate on your amazing mod. Despite the fact that the Thief series is one of my favorite game series of all time, in my opinion yours is generally speaking the best and most innovative mod for Doom 3 out there. As the title message states, I wanted to inquire, now that your mod has become standalone but still using the Doom 3 base, now that the source code has become GPL, have you considered the possibility of offering this game to a wider public? The basic foundation is already available, since there is now even a source port of the Doom 3 engine which I think can facilitate the transfer of your mod into the Android environment. I have tried the above mentioned port, on a last year's flagship device and I can say with certainty that its highly playable, even more so in the months to come with the launch of newer generation devices. Please keep in mind, that all I'm saying here is simply an idea, thought, proposition. I know it won't be an easy task, probably even impossible, but the word impossible doesn't really exist anymore, what with all the technological progress we are making right?
Best regards,

Hello
If someone want's to go ahead and port the game to Android they are free to do so, we don't have the time or the resources to do it ourselves though.
kind regards

Would be kinda cool to see the mode on a Mobile device though.

#2 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

It would be very interesting to play the dark mod on my tablet. First person games don't usually translate well to a mobile device (with my experiences so far) but who knows maybe TDM will do well :D

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#3 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37381 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

I can't fathom how something as involved as TDM could be given a reasonable control scheme on a tablet.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#4 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20186 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

I can't fathom how something as involved as TDM could be given a reasonable control scheme on a tablet.

I would have thought easy enough if an external control were used..?

I bought myself a Dell Venue 8 pro for xmas (thanks Dad), I know its pokey enough to play thief, but it will be interesting to see if I can get TDM running on it :-) I will of course being using the touch screen along with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

#5 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Slap a keyboard on that tablet, plug in a mouse, you're good to go.

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20186 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Slap a keyboard on that tablet, plug in a mouse, you're good to go.

Well if this little Dell im getting dosent turn out to be a lemon, it may be the first x86 tablet to run "the Darkmod"

#7 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8993 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that DIII4A (android doom 3 port) is closer to Dhewm than Vanilla D3. This would probably be best after Serpentine's code merge.
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#8 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5402 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

Well hell yeah, if someone else wants to do the work, I'd love to see this make it to a mobile platform. Maybe there could be a row of buttons along the sides for the controls or even more clever innovations, like high sweeps move the head & tapping the ground to make the PC move to that location, low sweeping to the sides to lean, crouch, stand or jump, tapping a ledge to mantle it, etc, and a side-button to bring in a quick menu to equip an inventory or weapon item... It's already a fork version, so they could adjust the GUI quite a bit to make it work.
Posted Image

#9 lost_soul

lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

They've got laptops that run Android. They're not very popular (or expensive), but they exist.

Edited by lost_soul, 22 December 2013 - 10:29 AM.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

#10 lost_soul

lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

http://www.pcworld.c...ot-windows.html

That's not a PC, that's a REALLY, ****ing, BIG, tablet! TDM would be cool on a machine like this with that ultra high-res screen.

Edited by lost_soul, 03 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#11 7upMan

7upMan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I played Doom 3 on my brother's smartphone, and once you get into the (non-touch optimized) controls it's actually usable. I'm quite sure that with enough passion and understanding of usability, even TDM could be made to work with a tablet/phablet/smartphone.
My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

#12 someTaff

someTaff

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Actually not a port from Id tech engine but a complete redo on unity f.i. is quite possible. Note though dynamic lights are for top line of devices only. If there's ps1-port of thief1 you can play it on android especially with Bluetooth gamepad
What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

#13 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Actually not a port from Id tech engine but a complete redo on unity f.i. is quite possible. Note though dynamic lights are for top line of devices only. If there's ps1-port of thief1 you can play it on android especially with Bluetooth gamepad

Why would you discard a engine that works on Android and reads code and files from idtech 4 automatically to a engine that is totally diferent has no support for modding is closed not free for the android version afaik and has no support for any of the idtech 4 files, be it maps, animations, md5 models, shaders, gameplay code, c++ code, etc etc? All would be needed to be made from scratch on Unity.

#14 someTaff

someTaff

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Why would you discard a engine that works on Android and reads code and files from idtech 4 automatically to a engine that is totally diferent has no support for modding is closed not free for the android version afaik and has no support for any of the idtech 4 files, be it maps, animations, md5 models, shaders, gameplay code, c++ code, etc etc? All would be needed to be made from scratch on Unity.

As for TDM - it even drops performance on midend PC sometimes. How optimized it needed to be to run on tablets i can't imagine...
Unity otherwise has free version, editor and can build straight to tablet or iphone
I think bulding level in unity will take less time as theres no need to snap to grid, can seamlessly insert geometry from blender, has script editor, motion system for human ragdolls and so on...
The other thing that paid version offers more optimization and visual options. And mobiles kinda bad at dynamic lights.
What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

#15 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

someTaff i don't speak for the TDM team but i'm certain that will never happen, why, first because Unity does not support user mods, so you could not have users make extra missions for the game nor it can play the missions made so far, second remaking all the TDM assets to Unity would be a mammoth job and perhaps take the same time to finish has TDM for idtech 4 did.

About Unity it is a nice engine and very easy to get on, but that simplicity is also a problem, it is a black box, closed source, where all games are made entirely by script, after the game is made all is backed to binary files, that makes the games faster but also kills modding almost entirely, is more a game making tool than a game engine.

#16 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13839 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

As for TDM - it even drops performance on midend PC sometimes. How optimized it needed to be to run on tablets i can't imagine...
Unity otherwise has free version, editor and can build straight to tablet or iphone
I think bulding level in unity will take less time as theres no need to snap to grid, can seamlessly insert geometry from blender, has script editor, motion system for human ragdolls and so on...
The other thing that paid version offers more optimization and visual options. And mobiles kinda bad at dynamic lights.

Any Unity games I've tested at work have been performance hogs. I don't know how you would ever expect us to port TDM to it...it's a completely different beast and would pretty much require redoing most of the mod from scratch.

#17 lost_soul

lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Also, fragmentation is very bad for games. I'm specifically talking about multiplayer games, but I imagine the same applies for single-player games which rely on user generated content. If you have multiple incompatible versions of TDM floating around, especially for different platforms, you will have people who design missions for version A or B. Less people are concentrated on playing and improving version A of the game. People don't want to deal with fragmentation and tend to abandon a game if there isn't an active user base. Fragmentation has ruined many multiplayer games that I've seen.

#18 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm pretty sure that DIII4A (android doom 3 port) is closer to Dhewm than Vanilla D3. This would probably be best after Serpentine's code merge.

I tested TDM 2.02 with DIII4A on my tablet nexus 7 (first edition).
I only get the "darkmod old watch"-screen displaying the error #str_04350 and then the app closes.

And get the following log:

DOOM 1.3.1.1304 android-arm Oct 28 2013 00:08:38
found interface lo - loopback
found interface wlan0 - 192.168.2.50/255.255.255.0
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
/storage/emulated/legacy/diii4a/base/base
game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0
Addon pk4s:
file system initialized.
--------------------------------------
Unknown command 'vid_restart'
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Sys_Error: Couldn't load default.cfg

Edited by freyk, 09 November 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#19 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20186 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

At an uneducated guess, OpenGL not installed on that tablet..? or something to do with the video driver...

#20 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

I tested TDM 2.02 with DIII4A on my tablet nexus 7 (first edition).
I only get the "darkmod old watch"-screen displaying the error #str_04350 and then the app closes.

And get the following log:

I'm not sure what Dll4A is, but if this isn't the real TDM engine (which is hinted by the "DOOM" string in your log), then this will not work. The TDM engine does a lot of things differently than the vanilla (or modded) D3 engine, so loading TDM maps or even the menu with D3 will not work at all.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#21 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

Well i can test it for you, because I got doom 3 running on my tablet!
Lets see if i can run TDM (earlier version) as a mod.

#22 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Well i can test it for you, because I got doom 3 running on my tablet!
Lets see if i can run TDM (earlier version) as a mod.

Not from 2.0 (standalone) onwards, you definitely need both the TDM engine and the TDM game dll to work together.

I'm not sure with v1.08, it might still work as a mod on the older D3 engine.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

#23 freyk

freyk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

No, 2.02 doesnt work on it. (see log in spoiler)

Spoiler

Lets download 1.08.

#24 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8993 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

Nope, you'd need v1.07. v1.08 was merged with the GPL source but was not standalone due to assets. v1.07 is the last TDM version that was truly a
Doom 3 mod. Even then, we were using hooks to get low-level access to the executable... DIII4a's code structure is significantly different, those hooks
might not work.
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#25 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

Nope, you'd need v1.07. v1.08 was merged with the GPL source but was not standalone due to assets. v1.07 is the last TDM version that was truly a
Doom 3 mod. Even then, we were using hooks to get low-level access to the executable... DIII4a's code structure is significantly different, those hooks
might not work.

What he said :)

I'm not sure what will be accomplished even with getting v1.07 to run. Even if it starts, the machine you are using only has 64 MByte VRAM, which might not run be able to run a lot of FMs.

Plus, no user would want to use any TDM less than 2.02 - and we definitely can't go back from standalone to D3 mod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users