Photo

Fan Mission: Window of Opportunity by RJFerret (2014/01/01)

fan mission

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 plotzzz

plotzzz

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

@reymeld: you are probably playing on "easy": no cave access then.

#27 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I had that thought as well, but the steps it seems he took already wouldn't have been available in "short" (easy) mode.
"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."
- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

#28 JBERT

JBERT

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Memory may be faulty but this should be a complete spoiler only to be read if having read the spoiler in the opening post you are still completely stuck

Spoiler

OK... I'm looking for this artifact in another cabin... Thanks a lot.

#29 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

A-ha! That would explain it - I had got all my objectives on Easy, and then spent over half-an-hour trying to find my way into the caves. Driving me nuts, it was.

Restarted on 'Normal' and am now blundering around cluelessly underground, but I'm sure I'll find my way somewhere soon. Love the total darkness ambience btw. :)

#30 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for that RJFerret.I was originally playing on easy which is why
Spoiler
, what a plonker! Certainly different , and a very enjoyable mission especially as it was your first..

#31 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

p.s Are we not able to rate it?

#32 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

A-ha! That would explain it - I had got all my objectives on Easy, and then spent over half-an-hour trying to find my way into the caves. Driving me nuts, it was.

Restarted on 'Normal' and am now blundering around cluelessly underground, but I'm sure I'll find my way somewhere soon. Love the total darkness ambience btw. :)

Doh! 'Splains a lot! Will restart myself. :smile:

#33 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

*note to self, renaming it "Short" mode and including notes on level size differences between levels not enough...

I'll probably use the first page of the mission briefing to provide "out of game" notes in the future, such as on my WIP, since I am heavily modifying the "difficulty" settings in that.

My apologies to those for whom it didn't come through clear enough. :/ (And I didn't think that was the issue at play here, due to the talk of moving things that can't even be moved in short (easy) mode.)

Note Thiefette, "regular" mode includes things I believe you might not like, hence "short" mode being an option players may choose. :-)

Edited by RJFerret, 09 January 2014 - 04:46 PM.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

#34 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

*note to self, renaming it "Short" mode and including notes on level size differences between levels not enough...

I'll probably use the first page of the mission briefing to provide "out of game" notes in the future, such as on my WIP, since I am heavily modifying the "difficulty" settings in that.

My apologies to those for whom it didn't come through clear enough. :/ (And I didn't think that was the issue at play here, due to the talk of moving things that can't even be moved in short (easy) mode.)

Note Thiefette, "regular" mode includes things I believe you might not like, hence "short" mode being an option players may choose. :-)

Yes
Spoiler
:laugh: but see their there anyways. More important though becomes my personal goal of getting all the loot and can't do that on easy so will try and get through on a harder difficulty. Thanks for the mission by the way.

Edited by Thiefette, 09 January 2014 - 06:35 PM.

• RJFerret likes this

#35 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

(And I didn't think that was the issue at play here, due to the talk of moving things that can't even be moved in short (easy) mode.)

Thing is, you can move them by whacking them with the sword (dunno if that's how Raymeld did it, but that was my method.) I managed to clear all the grave stone bits away from the actual grave (even the big bits; I wondered it was a kind of hardcore homage to T1&2's banner slashing), but the skeleton defeated me. So, yeah, I'd say making it totally clear that the 'side level' isn't accessible in Easy mode in the opening post would be a good idea as it seems to have caught a few of us out. :)

That aside, I liked this mission a lot. I really liked the open air setting of the 'overground' level, and found KOing the AI quite a challenge.
Spoiler

I actually had no trouble finding the artefact:
Spoiler
So finding it wasn't a problem. Getting out unscathed wasn't so easy.

And re the side level:
Spoiler

I did try to kill
Spoiler

Thanks for a really unusual and fun FM. Really hope you create more!
  • RJFerret likes this

#36 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

Congratulations on your first mission release! :)

#37 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Went to grab this last night, noticed it wasn't available on the in-game mission downloader. Just thought I'd mention it...

#38 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

I see it listed in the URL that the downloader uses. And that's how I had received my own copy.
Unless there was some outage on the server, it should have shown up properly.
All links are up-to-date and functional.

#39 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5645 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Not bad mission at all!
Spoiler

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#40 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Sotha, thanks! :-)

Spoiler

I appreciate the constructive feedback from you, and all!

The next one is shaping up nicely, although is more involved. It might be less challenging some ways, but more ways to be challenged, if that makes any sense (as compared to smaller venues, where all the challenge has to be concentrated obviously, or there's nothing).

#41 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Ive been meaning to play this for a while now, it seems quite interesting. Bummer that I cant force myself to play these days, but if I do, it will be this one.

#42 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5645 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

I also used, ironically, your missions for comparison, I figured if this one had double the FPS of the low spots in those benchmarks, folks would be happy, heh. One tester also (surprisingly to me) felt MORE detail should be added to the landscape, as there was room in the draw call count for more tris (which I wasn't comfortable with personally, I wanted to balance more on the performance side).

I'm honored if you benchmarked against my missions, but do note that the fps benchmarks are meaningless if you do not "killmonsters." My missions have more AI and the fps drops on low systems may come from there instead of the visuals. The campfire seemed to be an unnaturally huge performance factor, so I think simple noshadows would have helped.

When I looked at the terrain in this mission with r_showtris 4, it is easily visible that a lot of tris could be saved with simple patch inspector... inspection. ;)

It was also totally unbelievable to no solid some things there (you see rough terrain, you don't expect smooth walking), but yeah, I've done more no solids on my WIP and incorporated that into my building process.[/spoiler]

If you look how the AI traverses over solid small func_statics on the ground you will notice what I mean. The AI will bounce in a disturbing way, which doesn't look very good. It is easily remedied by making non-important things non-solid.

I appreciate the constructive feedback from you, and all!

I'm glad to help!
Clipper

#43 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

If you look how the AI traverses over solid small func_statics on the ground you will notice what I mean. The AI will bounce in a disturbing way, which doesn't look very good. It is easily remedied by making non-important things non-solid.

Ah, subjective, I find them having to step up over things more natural than walking through a log or similar myself (the latter breaks my immersion, to magically pass through what logically ought to be solid objects, almost as bad as invisible walls).

#44 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5645 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

Ah, subjective, I find them having to step up over things more natural than walking through a log or similar myself (the latter breaks my immersion, to magically pass through what logically ought to be solid objects, almost as bad as invisible walls).

I agree with the log example. A log should be monsterclipped so, that it is sort of a step the AI walks over... But a small pebble that causes the AI to bounce is a bit silly. Or a flat bone one the ground. Objects so small that nobody is gonna notice if the AI foot clips into it. Also the player movement will bounce weirdly when you walk over a tiny solid mushroom.
Clipper

#45 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Sotha, thinking back to an early comment of yours, what setting is your "Object Details (LOD)" set to in video settings?

#46 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I sat for about 20 minutes about 5 meters from the horses and just watched the camp and the guy patroling against the night sky. It was just nice to be there. It felt really authentic. The old apple core sitting on the back of the wagon. It was like a still-life, Great job. You really felt like you were there if you just sat near the camp and took it all in. I do wish the horses shoe sound on dirt we'ren't so "I'm standing on cobbles" but it still was great atmosphere.
Spoiler

Overall though based soley on the atmosphere and layout, really an amazing first mission. I'm sure you'll get all the foundations laid in the construction department and put togther some really amazing stuff in the future.

Can't wait! Thanks!

Edited by Lux, 25 January 2014 - 04:20 PM.

• RJFerret likes this

#47 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Sweet! :-)

Wowzers, thank you so much for the incredible insights, as someone who has done a lot of that activity myself, I am SO pleased the feelings I sought to evoke came through for you, and I'm honored you shared such with me/us, thanks!

Spoiler

#48 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Spoiler

#49 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Spoiler

• RJFerret likes this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#50 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Yay, me I did it! :laugh: I'm glad I was able to get through. It was (despite some blankety blank blanks aka
Spoiler
) a nice little mission. I actually liked your
Spoiler
Look forward to your next one. Thanks again. Forgot to mention I also attained my personal goal. :D

Edited by Thiefette, 07 February 2014 - 04:09 PM.

• RJFerret likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fan mission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users