The Dark Mod Forums

The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard

Dram

I finally got Redguard to work on WinXP. I'm very happy cos i love the game :) .

Here are 2 screens from the game of the same place but with a slight change - in one the character is normal Cyrus. But in the other i've changed his model to be a skeleton (duh!). But anyway, if anyone wants to know how to make it run on XP (or other windows for that matter) tell me, cos fishing for it in the TES forums takes quite a while. Oh wait, I got a link

However, the only problem is that it's all over the place in that thread so read it if you're interested. But anyway, here's the pics:

post-19-1111243815.jpg

Never played this one. IS it any good?

I don't mean 'Is it any good if you're an Elder Scrolls fanatic' , I mean 'Is is any good if you're a normal person'

How does it compare to Morrowind.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Never played this one. IS it any good?

I don't mean 'Is it any good if you're an Elder Scrolls fanatic' , I mean 'Is is any good if you're a normal person'

How does it compare to Morrowind.

Shit, did'nt notice someone replied.

Yeah it's fucking good. IMO I like it more then Morrowind because the whole plot is absolutely perfect and the game is (you'll like this oDD ;) ) fucking hard if you don't use your brain. The swordfighting is nothing like in Morrowind (as in none of that "oh sorry, your longblade skill is only 10, you miss") cos you actually can parry attacks (if you turn off autoblock, you have to press the block key everytime an enemy is slashing - hard, otherwise you have to hold it to block them. It goes without saying that you cannot attack AND block at the same time) and you do not gain some gay "skill", you actually have to improve yourself (even the city guard are a challenge for the rookie). Think Thief 2 swordfighting, just fleshed out much more, and the feel is really realistic (none of that slash-as-much-as-you-can shit. You gotta time your attacks so as to hit the enemy when he's open). oDD, I must say that the puzzles in this game are superb (they really make you think, not the easy Morrowind crap like "...In Caldera an artist waits, a masterpiece he is to create..." - obvious!). So oDD, if I can recommend an old game which keeps atmosphere and tension, etc it's Redguard. You don't play a "hero" persay, (cos Cyrus (the guy you play as) has had his shady and bloody deals in the past) cos you are actually searching for your sister, Iszara. Man, the plot sucks you in like a black hole. I really recommend it.

Check it out oDD, trust me, it's worth it. - in fact, download the demo and test it out if you want (but sadly it does'nt have all the voice acting and puzzles, but nonetheless) however, you gotta be willing, cos to get it to run on windows (that have no DOS cos Billy decided it) takes a bit of patience. It took me 3 hours to get working, but I could do it again in like 15 min (learned a bit (duh!)).

EDIT: If you slash at your enemy lots, you leave yourself open and you get hit - it's good :)

--Dram

Edited by Dram

Well, I guess I'll have to check it out then.

It;'s strange that I never reaslly hear of this game much. Everyone remembers Arena and Daggerfall and of course Morrowind, but this one never gets mentioned.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Dram, I genuflect to you.

Finally, I have met someone who also realises the evils of the D&D system in video games. D&D rules should just stay in the real life dice game, where it belongs, where the Role Playing, and DM discretion makes the game what it is.

Bring all that boring math into a game and it just becomes about clicking the button as much as you can, and you become a god for it.

That's why the Zelda series is so popular, it relies on YOU to increase your OWN skills to get better, not to mindlesly kill 1000 rabbits one after the other and suddenly reach 20th level and know how to parry expert sword blows and fire arrows with deadly accuracy.

And I sympathise with oDD on this too - I've heard about DaggerFall, and Morrowind, but not this.

How many CDs is it?

Edited by Domarius

2 Cds. I guess it's almost abandonware these days anyway...yeah, I was readin about it on Gamespot, they say you can't use the mouse though, and so controlling it entirely by the keyboard is really clunky and uncomfortable.

- Emil Zola

character models site

oh yeah, forgot to say that. Unfortunately, you need an old (huge plug) mouse (PS/2 mouse?) to use mouse controlled. Its in the ini files. yeah, its 2 cd's, though you only need the install disc

@Dom: LOL, yeah, I don't like D&D rules. In fact i hate that shit. It's funny, i remember in Neverwinter nights in the corner it showed the calculations (like "5 + 6 = 8" I was like "WTF?").

D&D is GREAT when you play it in the real world with people, where the game ISN'T combat focused... it's everything else that makes it what it is, the combat is just done with numbers to simplify things... so when you simplify the only major aspect of the video game that requires your skill, you make a dumb video game IMO.

I'd like to get RedGuard as abandonware... :) no chance of downloading it when it's two CDs big though I guess :)

Oh yeah, you poor man, you've got the root of all evil (56K). Damn, I coulda...err.."Borrowed" it to ya.

I looked in stores too, it's not there, you can't find it anywhere. It does'nt matter to me cos I got the original with original packaging (i love the original boxes :) ). BTW, Vadrosaul, I don't hate D&D rules when they are used in the "correct" game (like Baldur's gate 2 or something) but I absolutely hate when it is used in a firstperson style game - it NEVER works, cos it looks friggin gay when you swing, it passes through the enemy, but you "miss". It simply turns out to be no fun at all (aargh, in Morrowind for one, the guards would CONSTANTLY fucking knock you down, and at the start you could'nt even hit a friggin rat or mudcrab [mudrab! of all things a mudcrab! they move slower then a snail!]).

That's why people like oDD, me, and Domarius love difficult games (reasonably that is) where ACTUAL skill is required and brains are required. I remember playing Half-Life and not even knowing what it was about cos it was so braindead (too easy makes your brain dissolve within your skull). I then played it later with minor...changes (ie: weapons of enemy do the same damage as my own) which made it hard but very fun (enough to keep me playing it for a long time).

Just to sum things up, when I played Redguard for the first time (I was like 9) it was SOOO friggin difficult, that I got stuck sooo damn often (a simple answer, yet it was VERY difficult to find - Morrowind serves you the answers on a gold platter)and got extremely frustrated. Me and my brother played it at the same time, and at one point, he got soooo frustrated that he punched the screen and shattered the screenfilter (back then you had to buy them separate), i was like - lol. The funniest bit was when we actually passed it, cos it was friggin simple (unfortunately, I don't remember where this was, but I just remember the whole scene :lol: ). I'll record some in-game crap of the swordfighting and then post it here. Can anyone suggest a good program for this purpose which I can get for free? Much appreciated.

Note: Dram was a Dark Elf Assassin in Redguard (yes, you do fight him and he's fucking hard [swings his sword at unrealistic speed though] - funny though, one of his lines was [when you swing at him but he blocks it] "well, I have had 200 years more practice" lol), so the name just shows how much I used to love the game (and still do) :)

I don't mind d&d used in certain games like Bg, but I definitely don't like turn based D&D like ToEE or MoMM. It's so fucking tedious swinging and missing 10 times before you happen to get a decen tthow.. I like the real tme (or at least the illusion of real time) you get in BG or KotOR, even though it's still based on turns. I like to solo the gameswithout pausing in fights and make my moves in real time.

- Emil Zola

character models site