The Dark Mod Forums

Since I was bored I played Thief Deadly Shadows again

Oldjim

What effect does a 3rd person view on ladders have on mobility? Ok, i get that you won't be able to jump off ladders, in fact won't be able to perform any task except for climbing the ladder, but that's more of a limitation the programmers set, and hasn't to do with the ability to see your body, as they chose to go 3rd person on ladders.

Edited by chk772

The point is that it's very difficult to do body awareness well, and going to 3rd person, and/or having scripted animation that take control away from the player, are common ways of implementing it (because other solutions are very difficult to do). My whole point was that body awareness that restricts the freedom of the player is bad, so you can't point to Riddick as an example where this doesn't happen if the game is full of 3rd person scripted animations.

• Like 1

I played Escape from Butcher Bay, and I guess it did a decent job at it since I actually couldn't even remember that it had a visible body. Can't recall 3rd Person sequences neither, but it's been a long time and I didn't enjoy it too much (didn't finish it). And even if, add that and Mirrors Edge to the list and you still don't have many games doing it well. The whole "switching perspectives" thing is a topic on it's own, though closely related I guess, as it's all part of the notion to restrict the players control just for visual effect. If the game mechanics go along with it (see ArmA, Hitman...), well then I don't see a problem. In a game like Thief though, which is about exploration and freedom (the originals were at least) it's just a no-go.

76561198061377149.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Yes!

The OLD SneakyOptions.ini doesn't have them! The new has much much more entries! :D

So, to all, delete the old one!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

And you lose the new options :D

Uninstall the old version, delete the SneakyUpgrade.ini (it's in public documents), install the new version, launch TDS, configure it and you're ready to taff :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

So lets hope Thief 4 will be a decent sequel, although it will be a console port...

I certainly am more than a little concerned about what the gameplay, mechanics and story of Thief IV will be like (not to mention the extremely irritating absence of Stephen Russell as Garrett...grrr...), but one thing I'm not worried about is the quality of the artwork.

Look at these below, wow...that's some of the best Thief artwork ever, the style and mood is right on the money. Hats off to the artists. :)

t4w7.jpg

thief-4-artwork-51b9ad8293426.jpg

Thief-city-hub-13.jpg

Well, they are night scenes. :) I assume many of the indoor locations will be far more colorful when they are lit up with oil lamps, candles, torches, etc.

The night scenes in the original still had some vibrancy. The world was coated in deep pools of inky shadow that contrasted well with the well lit interiors.

Everything in the new Thief simply looks grey. The only time it isn't is in some of the more well lit areas. I prefer the shadowy look of the original over this foggy mess.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I wish there were more warmly and invitingly lit windows and things of that sort to contrast with the darkness. Hopefully the in-game experience will reflect that and have some nice vibrant colors. As for the gameplay...well, we shall see. Might be a need to adjust Thief IV with a mod to correct it more towards an authentic Thief experience, as was done with Thief III. ;)