The Dark Mod Forums

Cross-referencing between FMs/Campaigns?

Skaruts

Such as referencing a character or location (or whatever) from another FM in, for example, a dialogue between NPCs or a book.

For example, a citywatch guard talking to a clergy:

- "Oh, you taffer! You don't know what you're saying. Arch Bishop Lavonte was a real bugger."

Can we do this? Or even should we?

It might be interesting to see stories relate to each other more often. In fact, it might be interesting to see a skyrim-like meta-world be born out of community/dev-team projects. :)

My FMs: By The Cookbook

I was hoping for some of this too.

Bridgeport (as a city) always reminded me more of a city in Elder Scrolls than Thief anyway.

Now for the actual gameplay that's a different story...

Edit: I'd recommend contacting the original mission author too, as collaboration on ideas can result in some good stuff if possible. I'm sure that the person would be thrilled just to hear someone wants to expand on their ideas.

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 1

It is fun!

I think I saw Thomas Porter himself checked in into some hotel in some other mission than mine, and also Mandrasola herbs have been referenced in some missions.

It is always heart warming to see people nodding a bit towards ones creative efforts.

So yep, it is nice and should be done, as long as it doesn't go too far.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Yes, we encourage that kind of cross-referencing. There's a list on the wiki of significant characters from FMs that can be used, and you can probably use others with a quick pm to the author.

http://wiki.thedarkm...able_Characters

• Like 2

It is always heart warming to see people nodding a bit towards ones creative efforts.

So yep, it is nice and should be done, as long as it doesn't go too far.

Yea I thought it might be something people liked (I would, indeed). I just wanted to be sure. :)

Yes, we encourage that kind of cross-referencing. There's a list on the wiki of significant characters from FMs that can be used, and you can probably use others with a quick pm to the author.

http://wiki.thedarkm...able_Characters

oh, I was in that page before but I clicked on the Choosing Place Names and got lost in reading it, and totally forgot where I had come from... :S Thanks for pointing that out.

There's another thing bugging my mind now too. I noticed there's a map of Bridgeport city, which is great. But I wonder, what if two mappers happen to create missions in, say, the Old Quarter. Is there a way to prevent them from creating two distinct Bridgeport Old Quarters that might set players off, due to them not knowing the other mapper has done it too?

Or if the second one knows about the already made map, can he use it? (might be a pain to remove all the irrelevant stuff, though - might not really be worth it)

I wouldn't mind people using a map I made to expand on it or create new adventures in it, but I wonder what other people feel like in regards to that. In fact, I wonder if such a thing as community made areas would be possible. And that's why I'm wondering about these things, and not because I'm thinking of using other people's stuff (well, in a way it is, but only if it's meant to be so, and I might come to lend a hand to it).

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

I see no issue in two mappers making two missions in the same district. The architectural styles are diverse and districts are big. The missions would be in the Old Quarter, but different streets. No problems.

And what comes to using other people's stuff, you would always need to ask permission from the original author. And you must of course credit the original author and not present the work as your own.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.