The Dark Mod Forums

Missing libraries in Linux after update

ianrace

Hi all. Dark Mod had no troubles on my Linux box running Ubuntu before the update. The update itself ran smoothly, but the game now refuses to run. I tried to launch it from Terminal to see what was going on and it looks like it's missing the libcurl.so.4 library.

I then tried to run the updater again, but it now says that I don't have permission to run the program, even though all the Ubuntu permission are set properly for both the directory and file.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, as always.

Kevin

Sorry if this a dumb question, but from where do I install that? While I've found mention of it online. I can't find the name of any packages that might actually have it. I did try to install exactly what you typed from apt-get, but no dice. Is there a special ppa I need to direct Ubuntu towards?

Never mind. I forgot to include the word "install" Silly me.

The game works again! Thanks for all the help thus far. The only thing I still haven't been able to figure out is why I no longer have permission to run the updater.

Edited by ianrace

That library should be static you mean, not go into the wiki. If you ever want 'filesystem portability' of keeping a darkmod around across installs or portable, you need to statically link all required libraries.

Welp, that's probably my bad. It should be easy enough to fix that though. I think there are other libs (libpng springs to mind) that are dynamically linked so I'll have to comb through with ldd and move what I can to static libs (but using system provided static libs instead of those "maintained" in the project tree). Stuff like X libs will stay dynamic though.

I am the bat. The night is mine.

I think there may be an issue here with the updater: after running the updater (tdm_update.linux) I had exactly the issues reported here:

1. New libcurl dependency (no big deal)
  2. Updated tdm_update.linux no longer marked as executable

Is this (2) already reported as a bug? If not, it *is* a bug!

P.S. How's the 64-bit build coming along?

I think there may be an issue here with the updater: after running the updater (tdm_update.linux) I had exactly the issues reported here:

1. New libcurl dependency (no big deal)
  2. Updated tdm_update.linux no longer marked as executable

Is this (2) already reported as a bug? If not, it *is* a bug!

P.S. How's the 64-bit build coming along?

1) I'm going to fix the updater for the next update to have libcurl statically compiled, so this shouldn't be and issue next time (not sure what possessed me to make it dynamic)

2) I will investigate this as well since I can't recall any changes to the updater that would cause this (I had a quick peek at the code and from what I saw, it should be getting marked as executable -- will have to look at it properly though).

64-bit build will come when we successfully merge dhewm3 changes into TDM. Will have to poke serp to see if he's made any further progress.

I'm trying to run the game on arch linux x64. Lib32-curl 7.34.0-2 is installed (also lib32-openssl 1.0.1.f-1). But i get the following error:

./thedarkmod.x86: /usr/lib32/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by ./thedarkmod.x86)

As far as i can tell this means my version is too new? Any idea on how to get the correct version?

Not sure, but if you're really desperate, you can:

A: Hunt down a copy of the required .so file from some other distro like Ubuntu 13.10. (It has the proper version)

B: place it in your darkmod folder

C: Use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to force it to use the local file instead of the default /usr/lib location.

See also: http://www.linuxques...preload-235321/

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I'm trying to run the game on arch linux x64. Lib32-curl 7.34.0-2 is installed (also lib32-openssl 1.0.1.f-1). But i get the following error:

./thedarkmod.x86: /usr/lib32/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found (required by ./thedarkmod.x86)

As far as i can tell this means my version is too new? Any idea on how to get the correct version?

I'll see if I can't build a new bin file for you with the libs statically compiled. Will PM you with the details.

Edit: Didn't get enough time to sort this out. Will have another go tomorrow.

@Taaaki, that would be great!

@Lost_Soul, seems like something that might work also, i'll just wait on the new file for now though.

Offtopic: about your signature: i got this in my xorg.conf to get the old zap X functionality back:

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"

MatchIsKeyboard "yes"

Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

EndSection

Taaaki fixed it! With the new files i now have one of the best games out there on the best distro = win-win.

Hope this will be available for everyone soon.

Now i will have to do severe 'testing' on each and every map i haven't played so far. And perhaps the other ones as well.

PS: Had to install lib32 packages for ALSA and PULSE to get sound working.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on Manjaro x64.

Well, the workaround bins I gave you just disabled the HTTPS download capability and reverted to the old static lib. I'm working on proper solution to the problem for the next release whenever that is.

Could I get these bins ? ^_^

Just thought I would mention for the Arch users here and who might find this page like I did - I submitted an AUR package that successfully builds and installs for Arch Linux (with help from taaaki's static bins). Look for it in the comments (I have the same username there) because as of now the maintainer has not updated it. Hope this helps someone.

PS - Users of other distributions can download the package and use the links in the PKGBUILD file to download the static bins as well.

-- Shadow53

Just thought I would mention for the Arch users here and who might find this page like I did - I submitted an AUR package that successfully builds and installs for Arch Linux (with help from taaaki's static bins). Look for it in the comments (I have the same username there) because as of now the maintainer has not updated it. Hope this helps someone.

PS - Users of other distributions can download the package and use the links in the PKGBUILD file to download the static bins as well.

Hi,

I tried the pkgbuild you posted in the AUR comments section. The package builds and at the end of the installation of darkmod-2.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz I get the following errors,

/tmp/alpm_YYImnc/.INSTALL: line 2: [: missing `]'
chmod: missing operand after ‘g=rwx’
Try 'chmod --help' for more information.

If I launch the game all I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer which I cannot exit from.

Edited by mips

Hi,

I tried the pkgbuild you posted in the AUR comments section. The package builds and at the end of the installation of darkmod-2.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz I get the following errors,

/tmp/alpm_YYImnc/.INSTALL: line 2: [: missing `]'
chmod: missing operand after ‘g=rwx’
Try 'chmod --help' for more information.

If I launch the game all I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer which I cannot exit from.

I fixed the error. I forgot to specify which folder to chmod -- silly mistake. It is fixed now so you shouldn't have any more issues.

-- Shadow53