The Dark Mod Forums

Thanks everyone

Springheel

I've never been really active in a lot of online communities, though I've been lurking a fair share of forums. I'm usually not too eager to get vocal on the net, and take my time getting accustomed to a community before I even consider signing up, but here I felt right at home. Might be because it's small (yet?), but I'm wondering about the "average age". I hope it's not because of that, otherwise I might have ruined the community by signing up with my feeble 18 years ;)

76561198061377149.png

Having led a group of people in an MMO with ages from single digits through senior citizens, I've learned age is not a contributor, however civility, respect, being helpful instead of critical, courteous and kindness are all timeless. Like begets like, and a good foundation of folks lead by example. People who like to provoke tend to go places where they will gain a reaction, rather than helpful responses, or being ignored.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

It didn't always use to be like that over at ttlg, did it? I remember a time (like 8 years ago?), when you were mildly criticized for using internet haxor speech, which I actually concur with. In a chat, ok, but a forum is a medium where you can take your time to write something decent. I even check for typos after writing something, most of the time. Anyway, I remember having a great time in the T3 editors guild and the fm forums back in the days.

But still, this community is of course teh best pwnage community ever, lolz! ;) ;)

• Like 1

It seems that TTLG changed when Thief 4 was announced. There appears to be a division where one group of people think Thief 4 will be rubbish and the other group think that the Thief 4 haters are a bunch of dinosours. Either way it seems like a very futile argument to me. No one at TTLG has the ability to effect how Thief 4 will turn out so why argue over it? Either buy it or don't and move on. Simple really.

• Like 1

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Well, a nihilist would never have bothered to make the comment since everything is meaningless... it takes devotion to be one!

There are many types of nihilists, even political nihilists which, in my view, should have appeared a lot in those funky Steampunk-ish movies with an Emperor-Dictator or so.

It seems that TTLG changed when Thief 4 was announced. There appears to be a division where one group of people think Thief 4 will be rubbish and the other group think that the Thief 4 haters are a bunch of dinosours. Either way it seems like a very futile argument to me. No one at TTLG has the ability to effect how Thief 4 will turn out so why argue over it? Either buy it or don't and move on. Simple really.

People always argue over stupid things, same with politics/politicians arguing about very stupid things like abortion.

There's no need to be political about abortion, just allow it and that's it. Besides, many don't know it but I do; it is a pregnant woman's choice, not anyone's else. The father's is just a suggestion. And the rest? Well, not gonna say since this going political already.

Other than that, I got an argument about Thief 4; Don't like it? Play "The Dark Mod" ;)

Edited by The Black Arrow

It seems that TTLG changed when Thief 4 was announced. There appears to be a division where one group of people think Thief 4 will be rubbish and the other group think that the Thief 4 haters are a bunch of dinosours.

You forgot the "TDM is not cannon"-fraction. ;)

Why do people have to argue all the time? There's no need to argue; just agree with me and that's it! :P

• Like 2

I frequent all the Thief boards (here, TTLG, Eidos) and this is by far the most intelligent and laid back area to discuss things. TTLG is OK, there is some good discussion there, but I think there's just a handful of abusive posters who really poison the well, and I'm not really sure why they aren't dealt with harsher and more often. I think that's just the culture that's developed over there, and they think it's their "thing" now. I have a hard time tolerating people like dethtoll who make good points but are just plain rude and obnoxious and actually brag about all of their "hate." If you complain about it, they just tell you to grow a pair. Eidos is hit and miss, the censorship can be bad, but you get some heavier traffic so there's more discussions to choose from.

Overall, this place is great though, I appreciate everyone's opinions here - the only downside is that it can get pretty quiet sometimes.

This is a nicer forum to read and take part in even 'tho I rarely do sign in.

I haven't played any TDM missions for ages but my interest is now renewed after visiting again.

I spend forever working on my gigantically large - one person - mod for Oblivion with over 1000 NPCs 450+ interiors in two different but connected - created from scratch- worlds.

I've made new models and retextured and rebuilt thousands of other models.

Heck my data directory in Oblivion is 17 gbs of 94,675 Files in 3,042 Folders.

I started this mod back when th CS came out and keep on working at it.

but it's time to stop for a while and actually play someone else's game. So it's TDM Time again!

• Like 1