The Dark Mod Forums

Prefab Database

Garreth

I think the mod is big enough to have some kind of gigantic database of prefab stuff, where everyone can upload his models and prefabs by category with a picture, so you can browse trough and download the stuff you need for your map.

i have made a few fountains a few customized heads, vehicles, and so on, would be cool to have it offered - categorized with a small picture.

i know it would take a whole website and quite some up and download, but maybe paypal donations could help for that.

Edited by Garreth
  • Like 2

Taf you, you taffin taffer

A shared modular building collection could also bring some value if we could agree on one grid size. Just saying... I know it's hard to offer beloved tiles with some hours spent on.

The thing is: How would you handle the database?

It would take some time to develop a whole plugin for this forum software to make use of the user session, etc.

How many people would contribute to the database so is it worth the effort? Maybe a poll would be useful.

I mean: When it is a good resource which is helpful for any mapper then just try to get it into TDM at the next version.

If it is really specific like a script then maybe just open a thread and showcase your stuff.

Edited by Radiant

I don't know if it will be that massive, so I think things could be hosted the same way as FMs.

As for the site, IMO it should be part of the wiki.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Prefabs are insanely useful, so this would be a great idea. It would need someone to manage it, however.

I don't know if it will be that massive, so I think things could be hosted the same way as FMs.

As for the site, IMO it should be part of the wiki.

How are FMs hosted now? What's the structure?

Its looks like id indexed pages in a WordPress style.

You could just have a table, that's manually altered, with names, type, screenshots and links to the actual file.

You could have a database that is the same thing, but will be easier to manage and is searchable.

You could have full blown, dedicated refab hosting solution that holds all the information AND the actual prefab files.

Now iirc I did a table indexing thing for TDM some years ago. Does anyone remember that? If you use that as a reference point lets see what we can come up with.

Prefabs are insanely useful, so this would be a great idea. It would need someone to manage it, however.

I'd do it.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

This database idea has been tossed around multiple times since 2009. Unless someone makes a determined effort to set up one, it will not be happening.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

What size is it going to be?

We could use a cloud storage service like Box or DropBox. Box lets you lock the content so no one can change it. I don't know how much you get for free with Box but DropBox gives 2Gb.

We could set up a file structure and naming convention and small database of names, types, screenshots, etc so people know what they are getting when they DL.

Alternatively just bung everything in there and let people just DL them all and sift through it themselves.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

• I mean if this gets set up I'd administer it.
  • I'll help with the setup, but I can't do it all on my own! The first question is - where with this all be hosted?

• Ok I'll do the setup, I was thinking a simple in-DR screen shot of a prefab and then a link. And the folder structure will be as per the prefab folder that comes with TDM.
  • As all the prefabs I have only amount to 35Mb (thats 600 of them lovelies), the wiki is the best place.

I had planed ages ago to make a prefab website so have a lot of the screenshots for most of my prefabs already. If you whip up a start page for the new prefab section and a template for each of the prefabs for me to use I will get stuck in uploading and adding etc.

*likes the wiki idea, as others will be able to contribute to maintaining too (after gaining edit access via Springheel).

The Fan Missions page has an ordered list table.

There's also a thumbnail ability so image sizes can be uniform.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I'm just waiting on Springheel to get back to me. When I have access I'll start.

Sorry, what? I haven't been following this thread very closely.

• 2 months later...

Bump. Here is my current prefab collection to motivate people: Melan's Prefab Collection, April 2014.

Now let's see that database! B)

• Like 4

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Also why is this in Off-Topic? shouldn't it be under The Dark Mod or The Editors Guild section?