• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#1 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Edited by Garreth, 10 February 2014 - 10:26 AM.

• nbohr1more and Goldwell like this
Taf you, you taffin taffer

#2 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12156 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Congrats!

#3 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

thanks, i start to understand the entire thing, what a trip, i have enough brushwork ready for days of editing and hours of gaming, i have no idea when i start part 2 but it will be done some day.

Edited by Garreth, 08 February 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#4 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Regarding download link
I won't install download managers and it seems to demand that I do

#5 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Regarding download link
I won't install download managers and it seems to demand that I do

Edited by Garreth, 09 February 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#6 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Do you mind making some non-spoiling screenshots and giving us the story / some information on this map please?
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#7 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

I did and nothing happened in Firefox - goes away to check
Solved - I had cookies blocked

Edited by Oldjim, 08 February 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#8 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

taffer :rolleyes:

#9 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Like the alpha test version's download site, this site seems to require cookies and the browser referrer being enabled, and you have to be careful to avoid downloading their .exe.

Right at the start it seems many of the same issues as the previous test version, plus a new one, and performance problems have expanded unfortunately, improved from one aspect, but worsened from another...

I'm afraid the additions, without resolving some of the pre-existing problems, have balanced out the bit of improvement. :/

Spoiler

I would start with r_showlightcount 1 as mentioned before, which will clearly show where problems are. Red/green and to a lesser extent blue are OK. Cyan and purple are problematic, and white is to be avoided. Be sure to check when light carrying AI are in the space!
"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."
- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

#10 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

i am going to leave it as it is, since i do not have performance issues, i assembled a new pc not a year ago could be that that is making a difference.
but i will surely check my next build for overlapping lights, and open area's

#11 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

I had no problems with frame rate
Spoiler

There were a number of minor glitches which would have been sorted with an open beta testing but nothing to change the overall impression
One thing did surprise me was that when I was spotted by an archer he ran away instead of attacking
Note I completed it on the hardest setting with all the loot
At the end the red tail lights on the tram were a nice touch

Edited by Oldjim, 08 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#12 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

The archer can attack, but he takes distance, then when he loses visual he returns to search.

Edited by Garreth, 08 February 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#13 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

taffer :rolleyes:

This doesn't look very promising - gonna wait for more reviews before I download, as the mission quality seems to be on the same level as the presentation.
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#14 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Just finished it. Took me a good 30 minutes.

First of all very very fun mission! I got scared a couple of times and jumped out
Spoiler
and I had some fun with the mines (first time using something like that in a mission and it felt really cool) and your mission has a very unique feel to it, I love it!

You have some really cool concepts here and some things that I have personally wanted to add into my mission but had to cut
Spoiler
also the custom enemy you had was very interesting and added a new dynamic to the game for me.

As for the negatives, there were only minor performance issues I faced (but then again I have a decent computer so that doesn't suprise me) also certain textures looked stretched in parts but all over all very good job!

To summarize: It was a fun mission with lots of little custom things which made it feel unique to the mission, nice choice of music and it was short and sweet with a very cool ending that actually felt rewarding. If you could maybe fix up some of the textures and odd room designs (although i'm not as anal on room design as some people here and rightly so for them) it would be an even more amazing mission.

Really looking forward to Part Two Garreth! :)

Edited by Goldwell, 08 February 2014 - 07:48 PM.

The Accountant Series
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#15 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1708 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

you are not supposed to call the thief garret or any name that closely resembles Garrett as its coopyrighted to eidos, and square enix.
  • nbohr1more likes this

#16 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for a new mission !!
Started playing today - but won't be able to continue too soon.
Overall it looks really nice... and performance wise it does not bring down my elderly PC.
A few issues, though.
Spoiler

I have seen most of the estate, but I must be missing something:
Spoiler

Edited by gnartsch, 08 February 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#17 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

I have seen most of the estate, but I must be missing something:

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Accountant Series
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#18 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12156 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

-They gather in a City called Elite, Garret must find his way to the meeting trough about the most heavy defences.

stumpy mentioned above that we're not allowed to use "Garret".

I haven't played yet. Have you used "Garret" in this mission? Readables? Briefing?

If so, you need to change his name.

We can't set up the in-game loader to load your mission if there are copyright problems.

#19 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:59 AM

no i only used it in this description, and don't worry about copywrite i know the heads of eidos and such, did you know that they used the dark mod as a template for thief 4, the devs play the mod themselves, no joke.
In thief 4 the loading screen / animation where he opens a window, everything behind you stops rendering, and the room before you renders go's trough, window closes, that was my idea, they dont use visportals but force stop rendering.
anyway i started finishing part 2, wich will be about 90 or more minutes to finish. just running trough it without AI takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

Edited by Garreth, 09 February 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#20 Garreth

Garreth

• PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

This doesn't look very promising - gonna wait for more reviews before I download, as the mission quality seems to be on the same level as the presentation.

The presentation has nothing to do with the mission, i build, not make elaborate presentations, the missions speak for themselves.

#21 Sir Taffsalot

Sir Taffsalot

• PipPipPip
  • 1549 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

The presentation has nothing to do with the mission, i build, not make elaborate presentations, the missions speak for themselves.

I disagree. Most people will be unwilling to invest their time into something they no nothing about and so they should. Time is precious. Just upload a picture of the loading screen and put the briefing underneath in italics. That's what most people do. It only takes a couple of seconds. It's your FM though. Do to it as you see fit. I'm just trying to offer some friendly advice.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot, 09 February 2014 - 06:50 AM.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

#22 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8214 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

Garreth has been posting pretty interesting tech demos and WIP shots for a long long time around these forums. The fact that we now finally have a release is a small miracle. I wouldn't be too quick to prejudge SeriousToni. That said, it would be cool if the first post had screenshots and voting to match our standard conventions.
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#23 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

I disagree. Most people will be unwilling to invest their time into something they no nothing about and so they should.

What??
It is not really like there would be 20 missions released per month.
So, if anyone is not even willing to play the 1 or 2 missions that come out each month, then they are not TDM fans.
Btw.: the mission is good and nice, but just not 100% perfect.
(However, I might imagine that quite a few people might want to wait for an update to be released,
which fixes the stuff that would have been found and fixed in a beta already. There is nothing game-breaking, though.)

#24 Sir Taffsalot

Sir Taffsalot

• PipPipPip
  • 1549 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

What??
It is not really like there would be 20 missions released per month.
So, if anyone is not even willing to play the 1 or 2 missions that come out each month, then they are not TDM fans.

More like time is precious.

Just because something has The Dark Mod associated with it, it does not guarantee it is worth someones time (not that I'm implying Garreth's FM is not as i have not played it yet.)

IMHO if my money is wrongly invested I can always earn it back. If time is wrongly invested then it is forever lost. Presentation helps someone decide if it is worth investing their time in. TDM FM or not.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot, 09 February 2014 - 08:03 AM.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

#25 ungoliant

ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Oh god, all the books in this bookstore have no covers!!!!!! How do i decide which one to buy?!?

otoh

no i only used it in this description, and don't worry i know the heads of eidos and such, did you know that they used the dark mod as a template for thief 4, the devs play the mod themselves, no joke.
In thief 4 the loading screen / animation where he opens a window, everything behind you stops rendering, and the room before you renders go's trough, window closes, that was my idea

This might be one of the weirdest and also most ineffective personal testimonials of the quality of ones work i've ever seen. And I've seen some weird BS boasts on the internet before.

Edited by ungoliant, 09 February 2014 - 09:38 AM.

• Airship Ballet likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users