The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Home Again (by grayman) (2014/2/12)

grayman

81 members have voted

1. 1. Overall

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

Looks like the arrow in the pic is stuck into the sky. No clue how you did that.

I verified that Bier's door doesn't know about Bier's key. A lot of us missed that.

As for him walking into the wall ... well, blame TDM. :o That room is prolly too small for an AI to be walking around in anyway.

Sorry about the Fuchs' vases confusion. The only one that exists is in Johannes' house.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Working on a TDM sound problem atm, so I don't know if I'll meet my target date for WS3. Shouldn't be too much longer, in any case.

Looks like the arrow in the pic is stuck into the sky. No clue how you did that.

I verified that Bier's door doesn't know about Bier's key. A lot of us missed that.

As for him walking into the wall ... well, blame TDM. :o That room is prolly too small for an AI to be walking around in anyway.

Sorry about the Fuchs' vases confusion. The only one that exists is in Johannes' house.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Working on a TDM sound problem atm, so I don't know if I'll meet my target date for WS3. Shouldn't be too much longer, in any case.

Will try to wait patiently :laugh: . Whenever you're ready I'll be ready - the wait has always been worth it.

As far as the arrow goes it looked like a wooden barrel and somewhere to go so just shot the arrow up. From the ground it looked stuck in but when I climbed up that's what I saw.

@grayman - loved this mission, one of the best so far for TDM. Great exploration mission - as someone else said, it was the first time I've really needed the compass. I was stuck and once I realized the direction I need to go (from the map), I figured everything out. I ended up with 3500 loot, can't believe I missed so much, this will give me a great excuse to go back and replay. The readables were great, they really told a whole other story that wasn't in the objectives. Very much looking forward to the next installment and

Cleighmoor.

Keep up the great work.

Edited by brethren

Well, folks,

I seem to be stuck for the moment. I'm at a spot where the Builder's Church is on my left, and I'm looking across to a set of ramparts that I can't get to (is this the City Watch?) I can look down a little to see a set of gates with a semi-circular grill above them and a guard wandering about some stairs inside. To the left of the gates are a couple of barrels and what seems to be a sewer grate. I'm still trying to do a screen capture so, as soon as I do, I'll put it here...

Cheers,

Scotty

post-32251-0-39408400-1393129731_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottyB

@ScottyB:

that walkway where the generators are: if you're where I think you are, examine the corners and look for a narrow gap leading between buildings.

Great mission thanks grayman. How did I fail to spot this release? Still, les time to wait for WS3 :-) I'm hoping for a chance of vengeance against the local blackmailer in a future installment! The city was brilliantly drawn and the rooftop exploration was fun and refreshing. Only niggle, I found the map a hindrance rather than a help when it came to finding the way in to the guard house. The cell block was inspired--the best I've seen--and (to pick out just one detail) I loved your blood splat decals. They told several stories of their own around the map.

Performance was perfectly smooth. Loot thresholds could have been higher. I'd got the difficult objective before getting in to the guard house. And I still have a blindness for clocks. I was disappointed when I completed it the first time: I knew there was a second installment on the way but didn't realise it would be before the sewers. Not that the mission wasn't already huge! Roll on WS3!

@ScottyB:

Go beyond the two Builder generators to an area that has a pipe draining into a pond. Directly above the pipe is a balcony with a metal railing. If you go to the right, you'll spot an open window. That's a side trip.

If you stand on the railing and jump to the roof to the north, there's an opening directly in front of you.

Go through there.

Finally made it! It was very fun to play, but ...

it ended so unexpected, i wanted to go home through the tunnels/sewer and following the Guy with the lamp but then it was over. :(

also funny:

I know, not that professionel and also in german, but 6npqjn3g.pnga little accident happend :P

im looking forward for the next part! Its really fun to play!

Congratulations on a very fine mission.

One that brought back much nostalgia for The Metal Age. It's definitly a classic.

All the climbing over roof tops and light switch use in the hallways was fantastic IMO. It started out slow and I thought, Oh this is going to be small. Then as the stories unfolded I became more and more ingroused:)

post-20393-0-73010900-1393449530_thumb.jpg

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

After much delay, I finally played this mission. What can I say? It is a great thieves' highway FM, which is not just pleasing to play, but always nice to look at, and consistently well written. It really does nail the feeling of being a thief on the rooftops. I hope we will see many more like this in the future - but for the time being, this is it. Congratulations! :smile:

I did climb up to one spot which was out of the box:

shortly before the police station, there are some parapets with a patrolling archer high up. You can get up there with a rope arrow shot into one of the wooden supports, then swinging sideways on the rope until you can mantle up to the parapet. :ph34r:

I will have to replay this and see about the missing loot and the places I have not explored yet.

[edit]There might be a point about it being very easy... but I am a terrible judge of these things after playing fan missions for ... uh... 13 years now? :blush: Anyway, it is nicely heavy on exploration, so it balances out.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I didn't like it - I loved every bit of it!

Beautiful to look at, lots of nooks and crannies to get lost in, and I thought the relative 'ease' of the AI didn't matter in the slightest (in fact, it was more realistic that way - why would anyone expect to find guards coming out of the woodwork way up there?). The only thing I'd put on the wish-list is that the mission was bigger - I would happily have stayed in there for another hour or two. Immersion factor +10.

Really well done, Grayman - stupendous work.

Edited by MKG

Glad you liked it.

Yeah, it's getting a "too easy" rap from some folks, but the idea was that you're up here, and the guards are down there. You don't really have any challenges until you get into the Watch station. (Other than the challenge of not falling to the street.)

I meant to ask you grayman, there was a book in the guards quarters that hinted at a secret in the sherrifs room but I looked up and down that room for like 15 mins. is there actually a secret room where his diary is?

There's no book in the guards' barracks.

If you're trying to find the Captain's journal, it's in the small room off his office.