239 replies to this topic

#51 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5500 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

If it turns out contest submissions get IP clearance, it makes sense to start a Thief flavored FM, or even an original mission remake, make enough for a video for the contest, and then you still have time to finish it up afterwards and it keeps the clearance. If it turns out later the FM itself doesn't get clearance, then I think it's easy to just pull out the Thief-IP parts and have it a normal TDM FM. My point is, I think it's worth trying for anyone thinking about it.

Edit: That isn't legal advice, BTW. I'd repeat the 'at your own risk' until something is in writing, but I think as a tactic it could be clever to start something now to take the opportunity, even if it'd take longer than the time to submit, and you can finish it later or easily change if the IP becomes an issue.
Posted Image

#52 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

I've been the trying to get a hold of komag so we can finish that remake of Baffords that he did ages ago.

#53 ungoliant

ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

biker did you read the legal mumbo jumbo about how TDM team members, family of, and affiliates cannot win the contest?

could have changed though. with all this adding and removing garbage thats been going on, its possible that it was only a clause when the team was supposed to be part of the judging.

Edited by ungoliant, 21 February 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#54 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

That dosent apply anymore.

#55 Vae

Vae

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

POPULAR

Why is The Dark Mod involved?

The Dark Mod was born in the Thief community, and was created and supported by Thief fans. If something is good for the Thief community, then The Dark Mod is happy to be a part of it.

Except that NuThief is not good for the THIEF community, and NuThief will never be embraced by the THIEF community...and is likely to become the laughingstock of the franchise. So why would TDM be happy to be a part of it?

Is it really worth associating with some uninspired, substandard derivative, simply because the name Thief is slapped on it?...Something that runs in opposition to a design philosophy that classic THIEF and TDM both share, aspire to, and fight for?

It's also nice to have The Dark Mod officially recognized by the owners of the Thief franchise.

Don't be fooled by false friendly faces...The only reason they are "recognizing" TDM, is because of a marketing tactic they wish to employ, to boost sales at the optimum time right before the release of NuThief...They are only using TDM for cold calculated purposes, in order to buy favor from certain community leaders, with the desire of affecting community disposition...not because they share any love or truth with the design philosophy that makes classic THIEF and TDM great.

Edited by Vae, 21 February 2014 - 11:25 PM.

• Bikerdude, Melan, 7upMan and 3 others like this

#56 jtr7

jtr7

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

Edited by jtr7, 24 February 2014 - 03:10 AM.

A skunk was badgered--the results were strong.
I hope that something better comes along.

#57 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Except that NuThief is not good for the THIEF community, and NuThief will never be embraced by the THIEF community...and is likely to become the laughingstock of the franchise. So why would TDM be happy to be a part of it?

Even if the above were true, so what? The contest has nothing to do with the new Thief game, other than the fact that Square Enix obviously wants to grab some media cycles with it. The contest is recognizing and rewarding work done with the original three games and TDM. It's giving people free copies of Thief: Gold. It's informing people about the existence of a vibrant thief modding community they might not otherwise know about.

Those are all positive things, regardless of your thoughts about Square Enix or the new Thief.
  • _Atti_ and Bikerdude like this
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#58 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

It's giving people free copies of Thief: Gold.

Unfortunately, only if you're in the USA. I've tried.

#59 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, that's a bummer.

Why can't people outside the US enter?

I agree that's unfortunate. The Thief community is world-wide. As far as I know, the limitation is due to the involvement of the US division of Amazon, who is providing a lot of the prizes. It seems that different divisions of Amazon support contests only in their own regions. There may be future announcements on this point, however.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#60 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

I'd certainly say the contest is a last-minute effort to drum up interest in their game among the community that has spent more than 15 years with Thief. That doesn't mean it's all bad or all good in terms of intention, and in fact it seems a little desperate, but in the end, their game will stand, or not, on its own two legs, independent of the Thief series and TDM. I have a feeling it will sell enough that they'll be justified in the eyes of the publisher. Early videos with over a million hits (and thousands of likes) suggest it, as does the reception of DX:HR. Many of the 15+ year players might not like it at all, though (from video previews, I currently have no interest in it), but there will be a ton of console players wanting their first bite of it.

What confuses and bugs me a little about this contest, though, is the premise of it. It's nice to acknowledge modders of T1,2, and 3 and TDM (although it's not needed -- the community has accomplished far more for Thief than they have or ever will). It's great to stir up activity in the modding scene (if it succeeds in doing that). However, I feel it's very strange to use modding of a game that's 15 years old (with free copies handed out of the game that is not even the one most edited -- T2 holds that distinction), to drum up interest in their new game which will be for a different audience and almost definitely will not include a level editor and likely will not be very mod-able. Has that policy changed recently? Or might the contest help them to decide whether or not they officially support editing of Thief 4? If there's been any word on it, I don't know it. It can only help their cause in the end, I'd say. Those interested will still buy the game and DLC regardless of FMs, and FMs are what kept Thief so hot for so long.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes, whether it prompts the release of editing tools, or whether it's just an attempt to align themselves and their game with successful modding communities.

Edited by SneaksieDave, 22 February 2014 - 10:23 AM.

• Melan likes this

#61 RavenShore

RavenShore

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

It says "Your entries may be based on Thief Gold, truly a great source of inspiration." It doesn't say anything about using Thief 2 or The Dark Mod. Then, at the bottom, it just says "To get the Dark Mod, voted PC Gamers Mod Of The Year in 2013, or for more information on how to create a mod, visit thedarkmod.com." Whoever put this press release out made it sound really confusing. Tbh, if you're going to use Thief over TDM, you're more than likely going to use Dromed 1.21, because that's the most recent version, and it's for T2. So why are they pimping Thief Gold?

Because it has the word Gold in it, and they attracted to that like a moth to a flame?

#62 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

I feel it's very strange to use modding of a game that's 15 years old (with free copies handed out of the game that is not even the one most edited -- T2 holds that distinction), to drum up interest in their new game which will be for a different audience and almost definitely will not include a level editor and likely will not be very mod-able.

Remember when you're dealing with large companies like this that there can be a significant difference between the original intention behind something, and the end result after it goes up the ladder through the legal department, the marketing department, and various levels of bureaucratic oversight, not to mention another big company (Amazon) who gets its say as well.

The Thief:Gold element was a surprise to me too. They were originally going to provide something different, which would have generated a lot more excitement.

#63 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

The Thief:Gold element was a surprise to me too. They were originally going to provide something different, which would have generated a lot more excitement.

Are you at liberty to disclose what was originally planned to be provided?

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#64 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

I don't know.

But anyone with any history in the Thief editing community could guess.

#65 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5500 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

A representative actually made a kind of announcement a few weeks ago, which is why I think it's public information now, but it's ambiguous enough I don't feel like testing it. But yeah, you could guess what they'd release that would give them the idea to have a modding contest (as opposed, e.g., to just an FM contest).
Posted Image

#66 lost_soul

lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, but... Thief Gold kicks ass! I like some of the aesthetics in that game much better than T2, for example the sounds, the guard vocals, the different enemy types, etc. I would love to see some more Thief Gold *missions*, not video clips...

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

#67 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

I don't know.

But anyone with any history in the Thief editing community could guess.

What, so that means that part is just dead now, and won't ever happen?

#68 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I have no idea what happened to that part of it.

#69 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

//A representative actually made a kind of announcement a few weeks ago, which is why I think it's public information//

Where was this?

#70 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

On the EM forums. One of the Mods hinted at it.

#71 Nacht7

Nacht7

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

So... how many submissions have their been into this contest?
Has anyone here signed up for it? I couldn't even if I wanted too, since I don't live in the US.

#72 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5664 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

Is this really for US only? They gotta be kidding, right?
Posted Image

I'm part of THEM, sadly.

I have a neat idea, and could maybe do it, but without incentive... Well no.

Like the finnish saying goes: "Pitäkää tunkkinne."
  • Nacht7 likes this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#73 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

With regard to my entry, I don't care if I dont get anything - the best thing on there is a gaming pc and that is not much better than the one I already have. Worse case senario, I get someone to submit it on my behalf.

#74 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5664 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hm.

I, on the other hand, would love see the foolish exclusion of the rest of the world to backfire and result in a ridiculously low amount of interest in their contest.

The exclusion really is sort of a middle finger to the international community, don't you think?
  • 7upMan and SeriousToni like this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#75 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

It is not a real surprise after region-coded DVDs and content owners locking much of the world out of looking at their crappy Youtube videos (!).

OTOH, you should always build fan missions because you want to build them, not because someone offers you some toy for it. Even if I have won two custom titles and a boxed copy of Thief Gold in the bargain, what matters is the missions I have created.
  • SneaksieDave and Bikerdude like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users