Photo

Fan Mission: Inn Business by RJFerret (2014/03/03)

fan mission

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#51 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Stuck in the third part: How do you collect the payment?
Spoiler

#52 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Re the payment
The notes say where it is - did you get it from there as it triggered the objective when I collected it

#53 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Stuck in the third part: How do you collect the payment?

My condolences you got stuck!

First, did you place the markers from inventory?

Spoiler

If so, check your objectives, are they all checked off and new objectives appeared?

If not, a marker might've rolled/physically moved away from where you initially placed it, no worries, it can simply be picked up and moved back into place. Once they all are in place, it won't matter, as the objective is "locked"/done then and we move on.

Did you read the note posted all over outside, facing you at start that night, and did it make sense?

Spoiler

There is no objective related to loot the third night.

So check that all the markers are in place, then you'll get new objectives and can go after the payment in a location you already know (so everyone and his brother doesn't see the posters and try to take your payment).

G'luck!
"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."
- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

#54 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Found it! Posted Image
  • RJFerret likes this

#55 Elentarien

Elentarien

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Bit of a bug? In the first mission while trying to find the skeleton key. . .I found it

Spoiler

But after jumping around like a mad thing, climbing up from the side, and finally running upstairs to get a bundle of something from the storeroom to stand on. . .
the key isn't frobable? No highlight, clicking around like crazy won't let me pick it up. . .its just. . .stuck there. Or am I missing something obvious?

Having lots of fun so far. I've found one 'hidden' objective - which was easy to complete. Cute! :)
Spoiler

The candles in the
Spoiler

• RJFerret likes this

#56 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Edit: Patch uploaded to resolve this.

Bit of a bug? In the first mission while trying to find the skeleton key. . .I found it

But after jumping around like a mad thing, climbing up from the side, and finally running upstairs to get a bundle of something from the storeroom to stand on. . .
the key isn't frobable? No highlight, clicking around like crazy won't let me pick it up. . .its just. . .stuck there. Or am I missing something obvious?

Oh no, that sounds like a very, very bad bug. :-( The good news is it's also very rare, has something to do with timing I believe, I thought I had it all taken care of when I added a significant delay but... I'm sorry, the only solution will be to restart, as saves prior to this point won't be frobable either.

Odds are the key will show up in a different place, but even if it doesn't, it should be frobable. I'm sorry that happened, I totally believed it was fixed and since "fixing it" had not been able to get it to fail (be non-frobable) again. :-(

Totally weird the guy going through the wall though, although apropos I suppose.

Yay on the doll deed! :-)

That's the first report of discovering an objective, yes, that one's kind of lying out there in the open. ;-) The others aren't so apparent.

Again though...*sigh...my condolences the key bugged and will require restarting, I truly thought that couldn't happen anymore (and only had it happen twice in the three months prior to my supposed fix for it). Gah.

Edited by RJFerret, 08 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

#57 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2462 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Great mission RJ had lots of fun!

Spoiler

But needless to say lots of really cool ideas in this mission, top job! :)
  • Tarhiel and RJFerret like this

The Accountant
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Campaign

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#58 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I uploaded a patch to hopefully resolve this once and for all, update 1.48 uploaded March 8th, 2014, one change: patches key rarely not being frobable in one of it's possible spots

It's currently available from the download link in the first post, https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing, and now updated in the in-game downloader too, thanks Bikerdude!

For those who have already played past the first night/map, there's no change/benefit to updating.

For those who have yet to play, the new version would remove a slight chance of having to restart the first map if this rare bug happened to you.

Edited by RJFerret, 08 March 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#59 Elentarien

Elentarien

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Thank you for the patch. :) I'll pop it in and restart the mission sometime today. No worries. At least it was a bug you already knew about, even if it was rare.

Oddly, its the first time I've actually hit a bug in the missions, apart from the whole rat-blocking-the-door thing in one other mission. lol At least you knew how to fix it! The key, I mean, not the rat. :D

I did go exploring for other possible hidden objectives. . .tried to saddle the horse. I got it on him loosely, but after it thunking around noisily for a while, he bucked it off again and it sat there uselessly at his feet. lol Guess he didn't want to be ridden. Ok, off to try the mission again, and hopefully get that key. :D

Thank you, again, for the fix!
  • RJFerret likes this

#60 Elentarien

Elentarien

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ok, got it finished. The fix worked. Key was in the same place, but I picked it up with no problems. . .no fancy climbing around. Found a few things I didn't find the first time through.

Spoiler

Had a bit of trouble the second night. I chased the horse off while I was outside initially, and apparently EVERYONE decided that meant there was an intruder about. Did they go chase the horse or try to retrieve it? NOOOOO They all drew swords and stomped around inside making threats. pfft .Sometimes you really have to wonder about their intelligence. lol I did feel guilty about the poor horse, though. As a horse lover that was just mean and unacceptable!
Spoiler
Had a bit of trouble with loot that night. The cash box area was too well lit and they kept catching me in there. Pfft.Eventually made up the difference by picking pockets. Pretty much ended up ghosting that night.

Third night was fun, and pretty easy. Followed the other thief around a bit. Thought there should be an objective for stopping her, but even after dropping her in various places, nothing ticked off. I probably should have just left her awake. Not like she could steal much after I'd been through three times! I did find an 'extra' objective after
Spoiler
. Completing that was obviously easy at that point. Was a bit curious about the whole 'mage mark' thing. A sequel, perhaps?

I also got an 'extra' objective
Spoiler
the objective just disappeared. Did not 'complete', it just. . .went away.All in all a great set of missions. :D

I really liked the ending too.
Spoiler
Great job.
  • RJFerret likes this

#61 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9424 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

I just got the same error as AluminumHaste, the new "patch" version fixes this?

(downloaded in-game)
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#62 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

I just got the same error as AluminumHaste, the new "patch" version fixes this?

(downloaded in-game)

Sadly, unfortunately not, you've got the latest version, the in-game downloader has it (the only change was a key frob issue a tiny percentage of the time).

If you can provide any insight as to what might be causing it, that would be lovely. Is it exactly the same, same number and everything? Could it be related to memory on your system at the time? Does it happen again? This is the first report of an additional instance. Is the AI down by the cemetery or privy stuck/circling/doing anything unusual? Got a save?

My guess is if you have a previous save, that might resolve it, otherwise restart would be the only other idea I have. My condolences, I wish I knew more, once there's more to know, something can hopefully be done about it!

#63 lowenz

lowenz

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2004 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

LOL @this (it reminds me of Max Payne 2 same situation!!!):

Spoiler

:laugh:

Edited by lowenz, 14 March 2014 - 03:33 PM.

• Tarhiel likes this

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#64 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9424 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

I wouldn't fret too much about this yet. Both AH and I are running SVN builds. It's possible that something Sotha committed is conflicting with what
your map contains?
  • AluminumHaste likes this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#65 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

I wouldn't fret too much about this yet. Both AH and I are running SVN builds. It's possible that something Sotha committed is conflicting with what your map contains?

Ah, meaning experimental versions that aren't available publicly? (I imagine most players reading this wouldn't know what the SVN jargon means, but might avoid playing until they see it's resolved. It also causes worry if it'll possibly be broken in the future.)

Sotha's download link is here: http://forums.thedar...post__p__334949

#66 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi, I'm at the end of the second day right now and still looking for the last bit of loot to finish. But I have a strange issue in the mages room:
Spoiler

#67 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Mind editing that to put those details within spoiler tags please? That should be a surprise for players to discover in play. Thanks!

Spoiler

Also thank you, and I hope you find everything else great too!

Edited by RJFerret, 16 March 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#68 SirGen

SirGen

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Wow RJ! You are a Fan Mission Making Master! The city streets surrounding the inn felt alive. The layout of the inn was great and there were many fun surprises within! Keep up the great work :D
  • RJFerret likes this

Alberic is my sparring partner.

Whaddya mean, smiley faces aren't punctuation :huh:

#69 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

Thank you so much, I'm delighted you enjoyed it and appreciate the feedback!
  • SirGen likes this

#70 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Enjoyable mission with a lot of neat, quirky detail! I liked the non-standard idea of revisiting a place in a three-mission set, and the work which was invested into it. You get a sense of place, and it is fun to see the staff's reaction to your exploits. The mission was also very funny - not in an overdone way, but how there were some classic comedic situations -
Spoiler

or just the non-standard AI reactions to nicking their stuff.

Maybe my playstyle was too orthodox, but I did not find any secret objectives. I'll try harder when I replay it.

I am not so happy about the reskinned loot items, however. They have special skins for a good reason - to let you find them among several other items. I understand you wanted something more special, but unless there are clues that point them out, many people would miss them by habit. This was a small, but odd blemish on an excellent mission that otherwise had logical and sometimes very clever loot placement.

Edited by Melan, 17 March 2014 - 01:33 PM.

• RJFerret likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#71 Apiai

Apiai

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

congrat for your release.
I'm actually stuck in mission 2, the loot objective is ok but the mission don't finish when i'm jumping into the courtyard.
Is the hidden objective mandatory ?
Can you give me a hint for this objective please ?

#72 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Sure can, sorry you are stuck, no, nothing hidden is mandatory. Loot is only half that objective...

Spoiler

Edit: If you've already seen that hint, and would like more of a pointer, see spoilers in post #34.

Edited by RJFerret, 18 March 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#73 Apiai

Apiai

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Ok, it was the horse objective i didn't understood well...

#74 RJFerret

RJFerret

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ok, it was the horse objective i didn't understood well...

Ah, gotcha', from the past tense of your post I'm guessing you have gotten past it now, if not...

Spoiler

#75 gnartsch

gnartsch

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

That was a fine mission!
Actually I was looking for a quick little mission that would last for an hour or two - and ended up spending like 4 hours or so. :D
I liked those nasty little surprises, like
Spoiler

Not sure if I obtained the mystical item in the intended way.
Spoiler

And came across a few little bugs.
Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fan mission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users